Matt's 120g Build

mattfrancis

Originally Posted by nissan577
http:///forum/post/3215204
first how you gonna do the plumbing to it????
Drill the tank with a 3/4" bulk head from the bottom up. And have it drain into my sump. Do it for both tanks. Then have the pump, pump water back into each?

nissan577

Originally Posted by MattFrancis
http:///forum/post/3215207
Drill the tank with a 3/4" bulk head from the bottom up. And have it drain into my sump. Do it for both tanks. Then have the pump, pump water back into each?
into each what???? i think you better solution is get a bigger sump.

mattfrancis

So I thought about this at dinner. And instead of two different 10 gallon tanks connected to my sump. I was thinking a 20g long with a baffle splitting it in half. So it'll have half the tank for a Mantis and the other half will be for cheato. That way I only have to buy one tank and one fixture. Im thinking drilling it on both ends so I can have a 3/4" return and a 3/4" bulk head overflow (on opposite ends). Ill have it drain into the sump and have a pump in said sump to pump water through it. You understand what I'm getting at? If not I'll draw it up for you.
-Matt

mattfrancis

The inlet (From the pump in my large tank's sump) is the left pipe, that leads into the mantis tank (the left side) which has sand, then that overflows into my fuge section, then it is drained back into said sump. Get it?

mattfrancis

Yeah, my bad for not explaining it the best.
But it's a simple concept. And I could probably buy some acrylic sheets and make it from scratch so them I shouldn't have to worry about drilling glass

Also this little design would let my retrofit lights possibly or even just buy one fixture or two clip on lights. Any thing else you guys would recommend.
And I added 40 pounds of dry rock from my LFS today. Its no where near the amount that is going to be there, but it's a start. And I glued all the fittings and added ball valves to my drains so if I ever need to clean the sump I can.

Pics:

mattfrancis

Question-
Could I mix clownfish breeds in this tank?
I have a pair of normal false percs, that aren't mature enough to mate yet, but I'm pretty sure they're a mating pair.
So my dad wants some black clowns. Could I buy a small mating pair of black and white false percs, if they're close to the same size of my current ones? Would this cause problems?

mattfrancis

Bump.
Bought 40 pounds of base rock, making water now and filling it up tonight. Picking up 100 pounds of live rock and 90 pounds of live sand soon.
Anyone have any suggestions?

mattfrancis

Just a little update. I bought 45 pounds of CURED
(only $3 a pound, I have connections) live rock to go along with the 50 pounds of base rock. Man is it PURPLE!
But anyways, my live rock guy is bringing another 60 pounds in a week. I put 40 pounds of sand in to cover up the eggcrate (to not create any bubbles) and I have 40 left over, I'm putting it in after the 60 pounds of live rock. I took out a powerhead, just felt I need to. The skimmers pump was too strong so I put a ball valve on it and restricted the flow, now its good (I think)
The bubbles gently bubble over the edge, the paste isn't that thick yet, but there're no fish and I can fine tune it later on.
Do I need a cycle with cured live rock?
Water parameters:
PH - 8.3
Alk - 3.0 milli egui. p/lit (idk what this is)?
Phosphate - 0.1 ppm
Calcium - 400 ppm
Nitrite - 0.1 ppm
Nitrate - 0 ppm
Ammonia - 0.25 ppm (not had a spike yet?
its been up for 2 weeks like this)
Temp- 77 F
Pics:

mattfrancis

Originally Posted by JAXFishGirl
http:///forum/post/3227250
I like the way it looks now. lol
Lol. I do too. I'm not changing the middle. Just adding two towers on the sides. Im keeping the sand open though. I'm gonna put my purple condi in the middle rock that looks like a cup :) it'll look sweet I think, and provide a focal point.