Matt's 120g Build

mattfrancis

A quick little update:
I fed the tank today. Every fish is eating. I need nassarius snails to keep the sand bed clear of debris, because the turbos suck at it.
Stock list so far:
2x ocellaris clownfish
1x sixline wrase
1x red sea sailfin tang
1x lawnmover blenny
5x blue/green chromis
I would really like another tang. I'm looking into a juvenile atlantic blue tang. Would it be compatible with the sailfin? If I get it a little bit bigger maybe? And what're you guys and gals opinions on foxfaces? Reef safe?
Other fish I'd like to add:
3x lyretail anthias
2x sleeper goby
Maybe some cardinals. lol
Feedback?

nissan577

you can add the tang. try to see if they are the same size. another thing you can do is move some rocks around when you add the tank at night so that the red sea can think its a new tank its place in as well.

meowzer

you want 2 sleeper goby's .....I'd probably go with one
As far as the lyretails....I just got some and I LOVE them....they are beautiful
Turbos won't touch your sand....get nassarius and ceriths
AND AN EMERALD

mattfrancis

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3249291
As far as the lyretails....I just got some and I LOVE them....they are beautiful
AND AN EMERALD

Why only two sleepers?
I'm going to go ahead and order the tang :) (just reaquascape before I introduce him).
I'm gonna get 10 nassarius snails also. I'm scared the cerniths will die from the hermits.
And 3 lyretails are a definate

anyone comment about the foxface?

xxxespoxxx

I had a foxface in my 120 but she got to big that I had to eventually move her but she was an awesome fish, I would say go for it. As for the gobies I currently have 3 in my 120. I have a green clown goby, a yellow sleeperhead goby and a yellow watchman goby with no problems and no aggression what so ever

mattfrancis

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3249291
AND AN EMERALD

Why only two sleepers?
I'm going to go ahead and order the tang :) (just reaquascape before I introduce him).
I'm gonna get 10 nassarius snails also. I'm scared the cerniths will die from the hermits.
And 3 lyretails are a definate

anyone comment about the foxface?

mattfrancis

Originally Posted by xXxEsPoxXx
http:///forum/post/3249613
I had a foxface in my 120 but she got to big that I had to eventually move her but she was an awesome fish, I would say go for it. As for the gobies I currently have 3 in my 120. I have a green clown goby, a yellow sleeperhead goby and a yellow watchman goby with no problems and no aggression what so ever
Sweet, I'm definately gonna get a foxface. I absolutely love them. And I'm gonna steal Your idea and get the same three gobies as you. If you don't mind

xxxespoxxx

Originally Posted by MattFrancis
http:///forum/post/3249622
Sweet, I'm definately gonna get a foxface. I absolutely love them. And I'm gonna steal Your idea and get the same three gobies as you. If you don't mind

By all means do so all 3 of them are amazing specimens. When you get your yellow watchman goby see if you can get a mated tiger pistol shrimp. Let me tell you I can sit there at my tank and watch those 2 for hours.

mattfrancis

Originally Posted by xXxEsPoxXx
http:///forum/post/3249654
By all means do so all 3 of them are amazing specimens. When you get your yellow watchman goby see if you can get a mated tiger pistol shrimp. Let me tell you I can sit there at my tank and watch those 2 for hours.
A pistol shrimp was actually on my stocking list. So +1

mattfrancis

A little update here:
I picked up a giant red cap and a 3 headed frogspawn. 2 of the chromies died so I just gave them to the anemones. I got some hitchhickers in the cap: 2 hermits, and 4 mini bristle stars
. The hair algae is still fighting me, so I'm getting turbos, nassarius, and cernith snails, and a sally light foot. If those don't get rid of it, I'll borrow a sea hair from the LFS.
Anyways, heres the pictures: (This new format stinks!)
Left Side:

Center:

Right:

FTS:

Cap:

Frogspawn:

What do you guys think?

gill again68

NICE! I really wish I would have bought the 120 rather than the 90. I was worried about the initial cost of set up and chickened out but the width of that tank is perfect. Really gives you the freedom to scape more and you have enough room for sand critters to be placed in front of the LR. You got some crazy growth on that monti as well.
Great tank!

mattfrancis

Originally Posted by Gill again68
http:///forum/post/3252069
NICE! I really wish I would have bought the 120 rather than the 90. I was worried about the initial cost of set up and chickened out but the width of that tank is perfect. Really gives you the freedom to scape more and you have enough room for sand critters to be placed in front of the LR. You got some crazy growth on that monti as well.
Great tank!
It better be good growth for $150

Anyone got any suggestions for what I should put in next? I was thinking a birds nest.

cam78

I am waiting to set up my 120. I am So psyched!!! I love the dimensions. Your rock work looks great and that Cap in the Center is unreal. What kind of substrate did you use? It looks nice and clean. I hate when it gets growth on it.

mattfrancis

Originally Posted by CAM78
http:///forum/post/3252499
I am waiting to set up my 120. I am So psyched!!! I love the dimensions. Your rock work looks great and that Cap in the Center is unreal. What kind of substrate did you use? It looks nice and clean. I hate when it gets growth on it.
I don't think it's the substrate, I think it's the cuc. I have a BUNCH of hermits and I'm beafing it up even more today or tomorrow (snails and 50+ more hermits). The sand is carribean reef safe, 120pounds of it. I also have 2 olive snails that clean the sand well and are really cool to watch

What should I do next?

mattfrancis

Update again:
So as I said I went to the LFS today and picked of some thing (None of which I planned on).

Anyways I got: a chevron tang, a cleaner shrimp, 2 strawberry crabs (I was told they're reef safe, true?), a galaxeia coral, and a free hammer stalk
. Anyways the crabs, and corals are in. Shrimp and fish are still acclimating.
Pictures:
Chevron & Shrimp

One Strawberry Crab:

Galaxeia

Where should I place the Galaxiea?
No pic of the hammer, its tiny. Sorry.
-Matt

mattfrancis

I took the tang back to fish store because it had ick, the guys are gonna hold in for me in copper for a week to treat it.
My question, I acclimated the tang and put him in the tank then noticed the ick, he was in the tank for maybe 30 seconds, should I be scarred of an ick breakout?