Mega-Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover Replaces Skimmer, Refugium, Everything

todj2002

K, here are a couple pics of scrubber on day 4. algae starting to grow pretty well. moved the ten gallon in and put skimmer down there. lights are aimed at scrubber better now. guess i should put a couple pieces of live rock down there also? return pump shows on time for monday delivey (and my new wireless printer - woohoo) so i can get that flow better. Stoked. i also purchased a 130 watt PC - 24 inches. i have a 24" 250 watt MH on tank now. I will have MH on anemone side and PC on the other. it should be here middle of next week.

santamonica

Here are some other builds to give you more ideas:
"Nickq" on the UR site:

"Duijver" on the MFT site:

"Big Tanner" on the RS site:

santamonica

"Doenuttz" on the MFK site:

"Dohn" on the MASA site:

"Tapz" on the RP site:

"Freetareef" on the RF site:

"Glaring Toast" on the MFT site:

"Goodisor" on the MASA site:

santamonica

"Jfdelacruz" on the RP site:

"Johnt" on the UR site:

"Jski711" on the RS site:

"Keyaam" on the MASA site:

"Labman" on the MD site:

"Minzuk" on the UR site:

"Mrobo770131" on the UR site:

rotarymagic

Anyone having better luck with running the turf scrubber as gravity fed off the drain of an overflow versus giving it its own pump out of the sump??? Gravity feeding seems like it would be cheaper and not heat up the water or consume more electricity...

todj2002

I gravity feed right from my tank with a ball valve to adjust flow. I use a pump to put water back to tank, it also has a ball valve and a check valve. I only have the pipe in tank a few inches deep so in case of a power outage the 10 gallon that my scrubber and skimmer are in can handle the water until syphon breaks. anybody have any results to post along with pics? I want to here some other peeps results on N and P.

coral keeper

Originally Posted by Rotarymagic
http:///forum/post/2841153
Anyone having better luck with running the turf scrubber as gravity fed off the drain of an overflow versus giving it its own pump out of the sump??? Gravity feeding seems like it would be cheaper and not heat up the water or consume more electricity...
I was thinking the exact same thing right now...

stdreb27

Originally Posted by Rotarymagic
http:///forum/post/2841153
that is what I'm doing.

santamonica

Question:
The DIY bucket or sump scrubber is basically a level 1 project. Simple, free, easy DIY, and works great. Yes they are a bit large and ugly, but who cares. Level 2 are the acrylics. Self contained, small (only six inches or so thick), powerful, and nice looking. But they are so hard to make that only two people besides me have made them (and one of them I had to get made for him). I thought that since so many people made DIY sumps and tanks, many more would have made nice looking acrylics. Guess not. And only one person is on the builder list.
Well now I'm working on level 3. Ultra small (one inch thick), high light power, unbreakable, etc. Basically the same scrubbing power as a level 1 in a sump, but the size of a book. Problem is, they are impossible to DIY. So my question is, would anybody want to discuss the building of something that they can't build themselves?

santamonica

Results Of The Day:
Johnt on the UR site: "corals are doing extremely well, the water is clear, and the rocks are starting to look like new. the scrubber is improving things; I'm getting better growth and the rocks are clearing, N & P are up and down a bit, as I keep cleaning the screen too well, but are remaining low even though I've not had the skimmer, rowaphos reactor or carbon running for 2 months."
Sinful_Waters on the RS site: "Ok I couldnt resist! After reading and reading forum after forum, I had to know what all the excitement was about with the ats. End result, miracles happen! Ive spent the last year and a half battling the green stuff, with excessive waterchanges, phosphate reactor, etss skimmer, limited lighting period, pulling by hand, constant dusting with turkey baster, Lawnmower blen, blue leg hermit, lettice nudis, astrea snails, super clean sand, remote dsb, etc, etc, etc. The algae covered every inch of LR and was seriously suffocating my corals. What do we do when the tough gets going, we build an ats! I did as was advised and built the 5 gal [bucket] with a doulble sided screen, two 21 watt, 6500k compact flourecent bulbs, and the flow is supplied from my overflow and returned into sump. I do a light scrubb on the screen about every 4 days, and thats all. It actually took a few weeks to get the green going, but when it did the [nuisance] algae in the tank started to melt away. It went away so fast I was literally worried that my fish, crabs, snails would all be deprived of the green feast. Long story short, overfeeding is not in my vocab, and my sps, lps, corals have beautiful color and growth, with perfect tank conditions and stability. Being on a limited budget I couldnt be more pleased at the ease of the build and its amazinig effectiveness (excuse the spelling)."
Keifer1122 on the RS site: "update: the ats on 75 gallon, almost 2 months, been put on with only about 20lbs live rock, [...] also 8 fish, 1 1/2" of sand. N & P undetectable, all params good, havent done a water change in 2 months. had to do about 20 gallon wc every week before the install. $$$$$$$. 12 gallon aquapod with ats been about 17 days. N is about 10, was 15 before the install, with pair of percs feeding 3 times a day pellets in the morning and afternoon, with a pinky nail cube of rods, also piece of silverside every week for the Bta. the numbers arent falling fast, but its steady (with a 2gal water change i could boost the process or just cut feedings). coral growth: everythings growing like a weed including my yellow m.digitata that i got along with my screen from inland aquatics. all in all, tanks look sweet. life made easy."
Arab_NA on the MASA site: "My scrubber after 3 weeks, cleaning 1 side each 7 days: My PO4 went from 1.0 to below 0.1, and NO3 from 50ppm to 0ppm. I am feeding 3 times a day now and have no problems at all! Thanks SantaMonica for saving my tank and giving me back the love for this stunning hobby."
mudshark on the Masa site: "WOW things are starting to happen now. The algea is getting really thick on the screens after 20 days. I measured phosphate, which has always been low, as it was being used by algea in the display. It read a big fat 0. In fact it seems to be at a crossover point where the algea on the screens is growing faster, and regressing in the display. I've taken some pics of SPS colours now, altough they have already improved since the introduction of the screens. I'm hoping to post some further improved colours at a later stage."

nitschke65

Hey SantaMonica!
This thread is awesome and I've been following it for a long time. A couple of weeks ago I decided to do something about it. I have a Biocube 29 and had previousy scraped the paint off the back of chamber 2 to turn it into a built in fuge. I did not modify the flow and still use the stock pump. but I've built and installed this.
It's a 1/4" black lexan tray made to fit exactly into chamber two, in place of the stock drip tray. The two main pieces slant at a 20 degree angle to a 5" long, 3/32 wide slot. The material is pvc mesh made for cross-stitching that I found at a craft store. I was able to fuse it together with a soldering iron after wrapping it around a piece of cpvc that I suspended with two lexan "washers." I also made a new fuge light out of 1/8" lexan mirror taped together with aluminum tape. (NOT DUCT TAPE
)
Haven't taken any readings lately, but I can report that it is covered in a rich brown and is beginning to get a little hairy after only 9 days!
Thanks to you and everyone for the great ideas and inspiration!

todj2002

On day 6 with scrubber installed algae is growing well. checked parameters again today, and p looks to be about .25 and n looks to be about the same at 15. tank is looking great. i am going to change out 15 more gallons 2morrow and continue monitoring parameters. really stoked about the project. I have some questions about a diy overflow but i will start a new thread. Anybody that has made one please watch for my thread, i am a newbie in the plumbing dept but have found some plans online and i have a few questions. cant find my camera (4 and 7 year old) to take pics of 2days algae growth. will try to find 2morrow.