Mega-Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover Replaces Skimmer, Refugium, Everything

ibew41

if it is 110 then you are running ac in buffalo ny we run ac maybe 1 month a year mine was an enclosed area with little ventilation and all lights give off heat

kraylen

lmfao, I dont need an "algae scrubber"... My skimmer and fuge work just great WITHOUT building crappy looking "mods" to my tank.

desertdawg

Originally Posted by Kraylen
http:///forum/post/3188196
lmfao, I dont need an "algae scrubber"... My skimmer and fuge work just great WITHOUT building crappy looking "mods" to my tank.

Thats cool kraylen, I kind of like DIY and once I close the cabinet door you wouldn't even know what was in there....
hahahah I'm not even gonna get into this thread.
Maybe you should take your own suggestion and not even bother posting in this thread!

happyfeet

Originally Posted by Kraylen
http:///forum/post/3187428
Wow you people are actually doing this crap? This had to have been the most laughed at thread on every forum I've seen it on. It's a waste of time I'm telling you.
I tested it out on my tank. I was able to turn off all other forms of filtration and the scrubber worked perfect.
I only stopped using the scrubber because it was causing a lot of evap and my other forms work just as well.
So waste of time? no
best option out there? probably not but its as good as any other form of filtration.

kraylen

Originally Posted by Desertdawg
http:///forum/post/3188605
Thats cool kraylen, I kind of like DIY and once I close the cabinet door you wouldn't even know what was in there....
Maybe you should take your own suggestion and not even bother posting in this thread!
This is a message board, I can leave my opinion wherever I see fit.
Do me a favor, read this ENTIRE thread before you buy into SantaMonicas sob stories and misinformation.
http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/inde...owtopic=168137
You're welcome.

desertdawg

I've read that thread and a few others on different sites, I don't see anything different there that didn't happen here. Sure SM goes about it all wrong, but like many posted on the NR site stated, it will work in conjunction with other processes!
I see you contributed the same amount of knowldge there as you're adding here. See post #201 on page 11 on the N-R site...

BTW, I see you have over 15,000 posts there, I have over 20,000 posts on a Corvette forum but they still won't listen to me at General Motors when I tell them what the next series Corvette should look like!

kraylen

Originally Posted by Desertdawg
http:///forum/post/3188890
I've read that thread and a few others on different sites, I don't see anything different there that didn't happen here. Sure SM goes about it all wrong, but like many posted on the NR site stated, it will work in conjunction with other processes!
I see you contributed the same amount of knowldge there as you're adding here. See post #201 on page 11 on the N-R site...

BTW, I see you have over 15,000 posts there, I have over 20,000 posts on a Corvette forum but they still won't listen to me at General Motors when I tell them what the next series Corvette should look like!
What a moronic analogy, sorry you drive a GM vehicle.
"blah blah blah, it will work in conjunction with other processes!"
Well yeah, filter floss is great at removing particles from the water also but no in way shape or form can it replace refugia/skimmers. This guy is yapping like he figured out some god given thing that replaces thousands of dollars worth of equipment, I disagree and think it's a waste of time.

en_pissant

Santa Monica is a bit evangelical about the scrubbers, but that doesn't mean they don't work. It's not like he is profiting from me building a scrubber.
I'm trying one out, if it doesn't work, then no harm, no foul. Part of the fun of the hobby is experimenting, and finding out what works. The hobby is always in a state of flux, and some things that were best practices five or ten years ago, are ancient history now.
I'm enjoying the process, and am going to communicate my experience. Either way it's a contribution to the body of knowledge.

kraylen

I guess so, but I'm not gonna try to wash myself with cheese and milk....I know soap and water has already worked for eons.

bang guy

Originally Posted by Kraylen http:///forum/post/3188836
This is a message board, I can leave my opinion wherever I see fit.
Do me a favor, read this ENTIRE thread before you buy into SantaMonicas sob stories and misinformation.
You're welcome.
Hi Kraylen,
Your opinions are welcome here but your insults are not. I hope you can continue leaving your opinions and leave the insulting comments behind.

mason

Ive seen the thread go very wrong and very positive, depends on the forum. What I like best about it is all the pictorials, pros and cons. You are getting a lot of live time testing done by the masses, far more than one person could test, and these variables are reported on and adjusted with picture guidance. Personally I think the thread supports science because it spurs ideas and modifies the original intent of the thread into what has, and hasn't worked for so many. I will keep watching it both for entertainment in the extremes of opinions and for the pics and ideas.
If people were having problems leaking some of the plant material back into the tank maybe there is a way to put in a pre filter sock or something. A few of the people who posted positive reports from the system where plant relocation wasn't an issue had been posting on the boards for years before this topic so that lent credibility to me, but I think variables between setups makes replication a challenge as well.
B

desertdawg

Originally Posted by mason
http:///forum/post/3194360
If people were having problems leaking some of the plant material back into the tank maybe there is a way to put in a pre filter sock or something.
I always get some floaters in the DT after cleaning the screen, turn the pump back on and it sucks up all the extra algae pieces washed off the clean screen.
My tang usually has a blast chasing it around and eating most of it though, plus I have not seen anything bad from the algae that isn't eaten, my tank is still algae free...

santamonica

Update: Cleaning algae off of the rocks.
If you are running a scrubber to help remove algae from the display, try first running the scrubber without manually removing algae off of the rocks. This is because when you scrub algae off of the rocks (or if you put a lawnmower or similar in) while the rocks are still in the tank, the algae will float around and die, causing a nutrient spike. It's better to let the scrubber slowly remove the algae for you. This will prevent spikes, and is less work too.
However, if there are LOTS of algae in the display (so much so that the phosphate and nitrate tests are zero), then your scrubber may not easily compete, even after many weeks. So if after four weeks you don't notice a reduction in algae in the display, then slowly start removing algae manually from the display (or, add a small algae eater). Don't remove TOO much algae at once (or don't get TOO big of an algae eater) because that will generate a spike too. Once the algae in the display has been reduced some, your scrubber should be able to take over from there, and all the rest of the nuisance algae should slowly go away.
Note: This does not apply if you remove the rocks from the system before cleaning. Removing rocks can be done at any time, but is much more work.

adam13

Great read and lots of info. I have one running on my 90 gal that is doing wonders.
I am designing a 150 reef tank based around a turf algae filter. How many gallons per hour can a turf algae screen handle? What side screen do I want to build for this size tank? I have unlimited space since I have not started any building of a stand yet.
Thanks!

santamonica

New Year Update: Screen Roughness
It's becoming more and more clear how important a rough screen is. A year ago it was thought that lighting was most important, but only because you could see new growth easily from stronger light. The effects of a smooth screen are not nearly as obvious, because you start losing small pieces of algae off the screen bit-by-bit, but they are covered up by the other algae. So here is an example of how fast a brand-new screen can grow; it is just 4 days old, but it is two layers of cactus-rough plastic canvas:

Which gives us a new goal: