Melee's new BioCube 14 tank diary! Pics

meleerock

Here are some new pics I took today. I posted them in the photography forum but sence this is my tank diary they shoud be in here too. Hope you enjoy.
Everything is going great on the tank! Still no fish
but 1 is coming soon.

meleerock

more pics!!!!
In the first pic of this post you can see my green fuzzy shroom. When I got it at the swap it was starting to split and now is almost completely 2 pieces!

meleerock

Bad news strikes the cube....
There is quite a few flatworms in my tank. I am assuming from one of my new coral additions. Im gunna pick up some flatworm exit and try to suck some up with a baster tomorrow. Ill probably treat the tank on wed and hopefully get them all after the second treatment. Its a bummer, but I guess it happens.

meleerock

more bad news. My LFS is out of flatworm exit and wont have any more until next tuesday. Im going to try and siphon as many flatworms as I see until I get some exit. Hopefully they wont hurt any corals by then.

meleerock

I got a fish today!! A pajama cardinal. He has some really nice color and is doing great. After acclimation I fed my tank and ate a good amount.
I will get a few pictures soon.
I have still been manualy removing flatworms as the fish store is out of flatworm exit. They have it back in stock Tuesday so will start treatment tues. night.
Pictures will be up in a while of the pj, maybe some coral shots and a ft too.

meleerock

Here are some bad pictures. I really need to figure out how to use my camera. I think a tripod would also be handy too.

Here is the pic. The PJ Cardinal - now called Freddy Prince is being camera shy but I got the best pics I could. There is also some other random photos. Please notice the flatworms on the rock in the coral pictures.
On a side note, I wish there were more interest in this thread. Feel free to say whatever you want. Im proud of this fish tank and the responsibilty I am taking to make it a healthy enviornment, I would just like to share my experience and help fellow members out.

meleerock

I dont think post 68 has a picture. The green ones? Those I got as "Green Fuzzy Shrooms." I have 4 in my tank. Two on the left center and two in the sand. There is also the orange ricordia in the middle of the tank.

addicted2

VERY NICE ROCKWORK! Tank looks great! I am seriously thinking about doing one of these too...I love it! and those zoos you're getting?..WOW! where did you find them?

meleerock

thanks guys, I appreciate it.
All the coral in my tank was from a local frag swap. It was great and TONS of everything.
Im having a hard time deciding on what my last fish will be. I kinda want to have an occeloris clown or still a shrimp goby and pistol pair. How much do you see them though? I want something kinda active and dont know if they are.
Any suggestions?

peef

Hey I really like your tank so far. Zoos are excellent. Just a personal observation though...don't know if its possible, but on the zoo frags can you get the ceramic disk they are glue onto off easily. I think it would look better and more natural. Other than that GREAT job!! Leopard wrasse is an excellent small fish. VERY active and super cool looking!

meleerock

Originally Posted by peef
Hey I really like your tank so far. Zoos are excellent. Just a personal observation though...don't know if its possible, but on the zoo frags can you get the ceramic disk they are glue onto off easily. I think it would look better and more natural. Other than that GREAT job!! Leopard wrasse is an excellent small fish. VERY active and super cool looking!
Thanks peef. Im not sure if I can get the zoas off or not. I have never tried. That does sound like a good idea though. Is this possible to do?
I think a 14 is too small for a leopard. I have also heard that they are very picky eaters and need pristine water quality....im not sure if i need that much care in a single fish just yet. maybe my next tank though.
Any other advise? Thanks a lot everyone.

peef

Originally Posted by MeleeRock
Thanks peef. Im not sure if I can get the zoas off or not. I have never tried. That does sound like a good idea though. Is this possible to do?
I think a 14 is too small for a leopard. I have also heard that they are very picky eaters and need pristine water quality....im not sure if i need that much care in a single fish just yet. maybe my next tank though.
Any other advise? Thanks a lot everyone.
I am not sure myself about getting frags off of the disk, never had one on one yet. I am sure there must be away though. There is another guy, I will post his name to you in a few min, that will definetly be able to answer any questions you have about anything to do with a frag.

peef

reefkprZ
thats the name, PM and ask him. Very wise in the way of the frag he is, the force is strong with him.

deltablack22

Yeah, RZ is good with frags.
But just to let you know, I use those discs in my frag tank and it isnt hard to remove a zoa mat from the disk. Just use a razor blade along the top of the disc angled somewhat down so that you minimize cutting the mat. Easy to do...
Oh, and one more thing. You dont really have to remove them, because once they start growing out you wont see that disc. But if you decide to take them off the disc I would advise gluing them to the rock in your tank so they dont get blown around in the current and lost, or knocked over by some crazy little hermit...

meleerock

I think I am just going to keep them on the plates. I am already seeing some growth in the zoas and really dont want to disturb them. I plan on going to a really great and huge fish store (preuses) later this week. I am destined to drop some mad cash like its no ones buisness, but I am sure we have all experienced this on WAY more than 1 occasion. I just plan on getting some really cool corals and frags!!!
and possibly a pistol shrimp!
How exciting.
Freddy Prince is doing great. Hanging out in the front of the tank and eating like a beast.

meleerock

I just have to wait til tuesday to get the flatworm exit. And get some water going for a water change since they are toxic when dead.
Hopefully everything will go well and with out trouble. I can only hope for the best.

meleerock

Just an update:
It is a long story but I was not able to get flatworm exit on tuesday. I am getting some today if they have any in stock though. I might get a few frags as well....still not sure. If I do I will post some pictures tonight.
The tank is looking good with no problems besides the flatworms. Freddy Prince is eating great and is as active as pj cardinals can get.
Hopefully next week I can make it out to the most amazing LFS around (about an hour drive) and pick up some really cool frags as well as a fish.
Here is a new pic of my ricordea.