Men and Women and Collectibles...

cowfishrule

I was just reading something that made a good point that got me thinking and I wanted to share it with you people.
On a psychological level, what is it that draws men to collectibles? I don't even mean Star Wars action figures necessarily. But the way men express themselves with what surrounds them. A man's home, particularly if he lived on his own but even in a relationship to a lesser extent, a man will express his likes whether it be cars or sports memorabilia or movie posters.
Woman are rarely collectors. Most women's apartments or homes (I know I'm speaking in generalizations) are fairly nondescript when it comes to demonstrating their interests.
Do women intentionally make themselves harder to get to know in this respect? Does this all change once women get married and now co-habitat with the man?
Discuss...

darthtang aw

My mom collects dolls. Her house looks like it could be the setting of a bad b horror flick.
My mother in law collects frogs.
My wife collects disney things and rock memorabillia.
Now what does this say about their interests?

meowzer

Originally Posted by Cranberry
http:///forum/post/3104820
Two steps into my house will tell someone what I collect.

Originally Posted by roadie996

http:///forum/post/3104825
just guessing... but fish?

LOL...I am trying to remember.....something red...and glass too
I use to collect PUG figurines, now I spend all my money on fish and supplies for the fish

zman1

Originally Posted by COWFISHRULE
http:///forum/post/3104814
a man will express his likes whether it be cars or sports memorabilia or movie posters.
Woman are rarely collectors.
Discuss...
This one, I thought about... I don't think I am a collector. Though to be sure, I had to ask my wife what my opinion should be -LOL. I guess, I have to have a new tool every once in a while, so she says. I know my wife is a collector of salt and pepper shakers. It started with a dozen or so that she got from her grandmother and now it's quite a few.

dragonzim

My wife collect anything and everything Dalmatians. Her apartment when we were dating was covered with figurines, pillows, pictures, you name it. Now that we're together in our house I've gotten her to contain it all to only 1 room.
I, on the other hand, collect swords, knives and other medieval weaponry. Its all sitting in a closet at the moment, waiting for me to finish off my basement and finally get my man cave going...

coral keeper

Originally Posted by DragonZim
http:///forum/post/3104935
I, on the other hand, collect swords, knives and other medieval weaponry. Its all sitting in a closet at the moment, waiting for me to finish off my basement and finally get my man cave going...
NICE!

reefforbrains

I collect coins and pocket knives.
I think about this from time to time about WHY I like them so much. WHY I enjoy collecting them. What it is about them or why I even want them in the first place. I do not discuss them with anyone or take part in any groups about them. I do not display them or even show them off. I do regularly spend time and attention to them and look through them often.
I don't have any other explanation except I enjoy them. No one I know collects them. No family member got me started or anything like that. I just enjoy them and figure that is good enough reason.
I would post pictures of some latest adds but it would bore the pants off of you people.

cranberry

Besides collecting fish :) I also collect Antique Cranberry Glass. It's displayed in a big ole antique curio cabinet. Can't miss it.

alix2.0

Originally Posted by jennythebugg
http:///forum/post/3105031
i collect aunt jemimahs - and old jim beam bottles
when we moved into our house about 10 years ago i found an old aunt jemimah printing plate half buried next the to barn. it looks almost new. if i ever dig it out of wherever the hell it got to you can have it if you want it. ill ship it to ya, i dont need it. its really cool.
i have a tin full of old/weird/foreign coins that ive come across. not really a collection but i just toss them in there whenever i find them. some are from places ive been, like the bahamas, some from other people, like when my dad went to china, or my third grade teacher went to italy, or my church (hah) went to guatemala for a mission. some of them i just come across, like rupees and shillings and pence what ive gotten in change randomly. i also have steel pennies, silver quarters, old buffalo nickels, etc. whenever i find something cool, it just goes in the tin. ive got pearls and uranium marbles and crap in there too.

spiderwoman

Hey CFR!
I've collected many things over the years and most of those collections are back home at my childhood home. Had to leave them when I moved to the US for good.
I've collected stamps, glossy pictures (no good translation for that), international dolls.
Now I collect rare and unique zoa's (tryiing to control this now). I'm a collector by nature. Most women that I know collect something so I'm not sure where that study came from :D

casper1875

It looks like most of the ladies collect something. I have a few collections:
Salt & pepper shakers ( my dad was a truck driver and would bring them home for me)
Noah's Ark items
Key chains
And I have a huge Kiss collection.

dragonzim

Originally Posted by Coral Keeper
http:///forum/post/3105065
NICE!
You asked for it! These 4 pieces are the pride and joy of my collection. They are not historically accurate, but they are all hand forged. I met the guys that made all of them...
And, yes, these are grapes you see on the hilt and crossguards. The guy that made this call it The Bacchus and was made by a place called Lundegaard Amories in upstate NY. This is what would be considered a hand and a half sword since it would have been usable either with one or 2 hands. It weighs about 8 lbs or so and is about 42" long in total

Matching (sort of) dagger

A variation on a Celtic Leaf Blade. Made by a smith called Little John down in Maryland. The wolves are all hand cast out of brass. This bad boy is about 3 feet long and weighs in at about 15 lbs. A little heavier than what would have actually been used back in the day, but a beauty nonetheless.

Again, a matching dagger. This thing is a beast. I've actually used it as an axe to split firewood while camping. About 16 inches long and weighs about 4 lbs.

I have many others including a true WWII Japanese Officers katana and a bunch of historical recreations that while accurate to a particular time period and type of weapon, are all machine made.

jemshores

Awesome pics dragon! Visions of king arthur and his bunch doing battle entered my head! Anyway, i think what turns into "something you like" that goes to collection status becomes more about the hunt then the find. Once you amass so many, you want more, and then out you go to every sale, etc., looking for the holy grail! our house is an eclectic example of that; mission to modern to glass to pre-columbian art to.....fish tanks. i am stopping there