Michael Vick

morayeels

Vick should be kicked out of the NFL ASAP for what he has done with dogfighting.
RICHMOND, Va. (AP) -- Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick was indicted Tuesday by a federal grand jury on charges related to illegal dogfighting.
Vick and three others were charged with violating federal laws against competitive dogfighting, procuring and training pit bulls for fighting and conducting the enterprise across state lines.
The indictment alleges that Vick and his co-defendants began sponsoring dogfighting in early 2001, the former Virginia Tech star's rookie year with the Falcons.
It accuses Vick, Purnell A. Peace, Quanis L. Phillips and Tony Taylor of "knowingly sponsoring and exhibiting an animal fighting venture," of conducting a business enterprise involving gambling, as well as buying, transporting and receiving dogs for the purposes of an animal fighting venture.
Telephone messages left at the offices and home of Vick's attorney, Larry Woodward, were not immediately returned.
A woman who answered the phone at the home of Vick's mother said the family knew nothing about the charges.
On July 7, federal authorities conducted a second search of the Surry, Va., property owned by Vick that is the center of the dogfighting investigation.
According to court documents filed by federal authorities earlier this month, dogfights have been sponsored by "Bad Newz Kennels" at the property since at least 2002. For the events, participants and dogs traveled from South Carolina, North Carolina, Maryland, New York, Texas and other states.
Fifty-four pit bulls were recovered from the property during searches in April, along with a "---- stand," used to hold dogs in place for mating; an electric treadmill modified for dogs; and a bloodied piece of carpeting, the documents said.
During a June search of the property, investigators uncovered the graves of seven pit bulls that were killed by members of "Bad Newz Kennels" following sessions to test whether the dogs would be good fighters, the documents alleged.

reefraff

I didn't realize Vick had already been tried and convicted. I think he probably was involved in the dog fighting deal but if you are going to start throwing players out who look to have done something wrong the talent pool is going to get awfully small.

jennythebugg

i guess it just goes to show that you can take the thug out of the ghetto but you cant take the ghetto out of the thug..not my saying by the way that was snoop

f14peter

Originally Posted by reefraff
I didn't realize Vick had already been tried and convicted. I think he probably was involved in the dog fighting deal but if you are going to start throwing players out who look to have done something wrong the talent pool is going to get awfully small.
Vick has maintained throughout this situation that while it was his property, he wasn't aware of what was going on, and had only visited the locale a couple of times. Possibly true, but hard to imagine he had no idea.
Commissioner Goodell has certainly exhibited what could be called a "Zero-Tolerance" approach to the rash of legal problems many players have been involved in lately ... interesting to see what he'll do.

ruaround

he hasnt been proven guilty yet... im not sticking up for him, but at this point he hasnt done anything (innocent until prven guilty... let our judicial system go to work)... he maintains that he had no knowledge of what went on at that house...

jmick

Lol, well in the court of public opinion it's guilty until proven otherwise. Was he involved in the dogfights? I have no idea but I suspect he probably was, find it hard to fathom that an activity could take place on your propety for such a long period of time with tangle proof (lots of large holes being dug) something is going on and not know.
It'll be interesting to see how the new commish will handle such a high profile player and I hope he faces the same penalties as other players.

vpotts28

While I am a huge Falcons fan, I am not a Vick supporter. Not only because he is the most overated QB in the NFL, but for the constant recurrence of bad judgment. That said, kicked out of the NFL??? I understand the horrible actions that have been done with these animals, but I find it alot worse to have paralyzed a human being because of your actions. Pacman Jones is only suspended one year for that act. Now if he goes through his "due process", and is found guilty, fine. Kick him out for a year or more. Remember he is innocent as of right now, and I don't think you would want that right taken away from you as an American citizen. It is a privilege to play in the NFL and not a right, I understand that. But, taking away someone's livelihood before a guilty verdict has been handed down is extremely harsh, and ridiculous to say the very least.
Bring on Duante Culpepper.

pontius

Originally Posted by reefraff
I didn't realize Vick had already been tried and convicted.
there's an old saying in law enforcement......"possession is nine tenths of the law". it happened on property that he owned, that's not up for dispute. he owned 2 "dog breeding" businesses that happened to breed these same dogs (pit bulls) that were found on the property. so yeah, he's guilty. the trial is just a formality at this point.
like the Saints fan said, I'm kinda sad to see him go too. being a Panthers fan, I will hate to see what happens when Petrino gets a real NFL QB. I bet Falcons fans are hating they got rid of Schaub. Vick is always good for about 8 wins, but what's become evident is that all you need are fast DEs (like Peppers) to shut him down.

rbaldino

I think the debate about kicking him out of the NFL is a bit irrelevant at this point. If he's convicted of a federal crime, the commissioner won't have to suspend him. He'll just go to jail and probably never play again. I suspect the league is going to just wait and see what happens.

pontius

Originally Posted by huskychasrs
Thug U
Thug U is, to most people, Miami. Vick played at Virginia Tech. but if you're saying he's a thug, I would agree. I used to think he wasn't a bad guy (though I always thought he was overrated). but he seems to have fell apart in the past few years.

jennythebugg

Pontius said:
there's an old saying in law enforcement......"possession is nine tenths of the law". it happened on property that he owned, that's not up for dispute. he owned 2 "dog breeding" businesses that happened to breed these same dogs (pit bulls) that were found on the property. so yeah, he's guilty. the trial is just a formality at this point.
QUOTE]
exactly

rbrockm1

i don't care whos guilty as long as they get the right guy and charge him to the fullest. thats all i have to say bout this.

pontius

it's so sad that pit bulls have the rep that they do. they are actually good natured, lovable dogs except when they're bred to be bad. I've seen so many wannabe drug dealers with these dogs and most of them will lick your hands and want to play because the wannabe drug dealers didn't train them to be bad. I've also seen many that have had their vocal cords cut so they won't bark (so you don't hear them coming when they attack you).
now rottweillers on the other hand, I have no use for. I would never turn my back on a rottweiller. I still would think it's very wrong to train them to be bad though.

vpotts28

Originally Posted by rbrockm1
i don't care whos guilty as long as they get the right guy and charge him to the fullest. thats all i have to say bout this.

I agree 100%, if he is guilty, throw the book at him. There is no excuse for what took place. If he is guilty we won't have to worry about the NFL suspending him. Something tells me if he gets shipped off to prison, he will become a center, and not the QB anymore.
But if he is innocent, then the media needs to move on, and sensationalize another story. This will be the end of our season though. This is worse than any disruption TO has ever caused.