Missnano's 12G Nano Tank Diary

missnano

Here is an updated pic on my tank. I haven't gotten anything new, cause i am trying to get my salt level under control. Which is doing better.

markw

Out of curiusity, what background knowledge are you building this tank from? I mean, did you do any research before you started out into SW?
The tanks looking good. You have a green brittle star, green serpent, either way. It will get big and could eat your beloved fish. It will most likely ourgrow the tank you have it in, or die from starvation before that happens. They get huge, Ive seen one on here that was over 24". Surely too big for a 14g. It will take some time, though. So you should be good for now. Keep an eye on him. Hes looking great.
Mark

nissan577

mark what mean words you said. but sadly it is true. over all the tank is looking super i must say and atleast your really smart of not getting anything till you get salt level right. so mark im sure she did her research on sw

markw

Sometimes things have to be said. And I must say, you're right. Bringing the salt thingy to mom and asking where the level on the thingy should be set for the salt is a start at least, I suppose %%. At least she knew if her LR was fully cured in that tank it was definately in before the long ride home with the completely safe serpent star and rock in bag. Research has most definately been done. Extensive, pain-staking research. :)
I suppose one of the best ways of learning is trial and error. Talking to people on here also helps. Everyone is so nice and knowledgeable.

Mark

missnano

I used to work at a local pet store, so yes i new the basic care level for saltwater but that has been years, so i am still a little foggy on things. I am learning as i go and have some basic back ground of salt water to go on. Also my my is helping me as i go and so is the petstore and i am doing my fair share of reading and learning on things i am unsure of. I do plan on up grading my tank to a larger on. This tank is just to start out and get things going. And it was a gift. I plan on getting a much bigger tank. However, I still have a lot to learn before i complicate things anymore. You said my star fish would starve? Why would it starve?

curry

Originally Posted by MissNano
http:///forum/post/3226196
Also my my is helping me as i go and so is the petstore and i am doing my fair share of reading and learning on things i am unsure of.
Try to avoid any "advice" from you local petstore... Reading this forum and other should be the bulk of your learning. Also careful with that starfish. It does have a habit of learning to "fish" and can very well eat your livestock. Good progress so far

inkman2004

Keep it up, it is coming along. And don't give up everyone has to start learning somewhere and there is alot of valuable information on this site. Good luck.

missnano

Here is my recent add, some xenia red sea pom pom's. They are doing great, have had them for about a week now. My current problem is micro bubbles. Cant figure out how to stop them, they are coming out of the pump.

First picture is of the night i got it, second is week later.

small triggers

looks good! as far as the bubbles,, turn the pump off, pull it out and take the cover off of it and see if some sand got into it or the tube... that was always the cause for mine...and make sure your pump is turned up all the way!!!!

garick

That should actually be a brittle star. Due to the bristles on its body. A serpent star is similar but does not have all those "spikes" it has tiny ones but I do not think they are as pronounced as the brittle stars. At least the ones I've come across.
I had a starfish that looked almost identical to that color and everything. It had no problem catching my dwarf lion and eating half of him :(
First is my idea of a serpent star. Second is a brittle

nissan577

Miss your tank is coming along super

your bubbles. maybe the tube is not tighten strong enough and air is getting in.

missnano

My husband out of all people, was the one to figure out the micro bubbles! My skimmer was not on all the way. it was blocking the water flow. It is fixed now, so excited!