more fragging fun

reefkprz

Originally Posted by nwdyr
http:///forum/post/2640688
Maybe he is just too busy fraggin

sorry I miss a lot of threads and replies due to all the new forums I dont have time to cover all the forums and tend to miss stuff.
favias can be fragged using the wet tile saw and bucket of water method. make your cut using a wet tile saw filled with marine water. then you place the cut pieces into a bucket of clean marine water with a heater to maintain temp and a small powerhead pointed up ward to aerate and wash away the slime. leave the cuts in the bucket for about an hour. then return the pieces to close to their original position as possibl;e to avoid changing any of the parameters, reducing the chance of acclimation weakness.

reefkprz

I dont reccomend "dry" cuts or breaking for favias they tend not to recover as well from them, and are more prone to secondary infections, or rescession after such techniques are used. which is weird when you compare them to acanthastrea or micromussa, the polyp/skeleton build is very similar and acans and micros arent even fazed by more invasive/brutal fragging tecniques.

nwdyr

thank's for the info reef!!! I have allot of other stuff to frag first , bbut I will let you know how it turns out

paintballer768

Okay so just a quick question. Im so sorry for asking about palythoas/mushrooms since Im sure youve had youre fill of questions. I want to frag about half of my zoas and a couple of mushrooms that are getting too big for where they are now.
For the mushroom, how do I get the matt up? Does it pry off with the razor, or will I have to do what you said about cutting the head off, letting it attach to sand, and superglue it somewhere afterwards?
And for palys, the matt just prys up, and then you find where the pryed area and attached areas are and just cut it inbetween the heads at that line, correct? Does it take much effort to pry up these poylps?

reefkprz

Originally Posted by paintballer768
http:///forum/post/2651835
Okay so just a quick question. Im so sorry for asking about palythoas/mushrooms since Im sure youve had youre fill of questions. I want to frag about half of my zoas and a couple of mushrooms that are getting too big for where they are now.
For the mushroom, how do I get the matt up? Does it pry off with the razor, or will I have to do what you said about cutting the head off, letting it attach to sand, and superglue it somewhere afterwards?yeah you pretty much have to cut the head off or break the rock. peeling mushrooms just doesnt generally work well at all.
And for palys, the matt just prys up, and then you find where the pryed area and attached areas are and just cut it inbetween the heads at that line, correct? Does it take much effort to pry up these poylps?some are harder than others, if peeling isnt your thing, breaking the rock and cutting between the polyps is another very successful route
I replied in red.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by newreeferpa
http:///forum/post/2708748
do you use regular playtex gloves that you can get at any store? if so how do you clean them before going in the tank?
yes I use regular POWDER FREE latex exam gloves. no cleaning is needed. dont use powdered gloves.

salty gal

ReefKeeper ....
On page 1, post #38 .... Speaking of a Toadstool Leather that is attached to multiple rocks... We too have a large one, which we love, but also love rearraging our rocks, which we cant really do in the part of the tank anymore.
Would it be possible to slice the attached part (the stalk) off the LR and slide a ...?? something?? ... in between the Leather and the LR you just sliced it from?
Would slicing on the stalk like that kill it?
And what on earth would you slide in there? I was thinking like a thin piece of shimming wood. But that is wood. Is wood ok to put in a tank long term?
And how would you get it to stay without glueing it?
Would the Leather that was on the LR attach to the ?? something?? and then you would be back at square one? Attached from the LR to the ?? something ?? and then the ??something?? attached to the 'mother' plant?
Many

reefkprz

Originally Posted by metweezer
http:///forum/post/2811159
Z,
Did you ever show how to frag a GSP?
sorry for the very delayed reply
no I havent because I dont keep any in my tanks. If I ever accidently get some I'll do a set on GSP

reefkprz

Originally Posted by Salty Gal
http:///forum/post/2838699
ReefKeeper ....
On page 1, post #38 .... Speaking of a Toadstool Leather that is attached to multiple rocks... We too have a large one, which we love, but also love rearraging our rocks, which we cant really do in the part of the tank anymore.
Would it be possible to slice the attached part (the stalk) off the LR and slide a ...?? something?? ... in between the Leather and the LR you just sliced it from? Yes
Would slicing on the stalk like that kill it?not likely
And what on earth would you slide in there? I was thinking like a thin piece of shimming wood. But that is wood. Is wood ok to put in a tank long term?definatly no wood, a clear piece of acrylic would work or a smaller piece of LR rubbleso if it attaches to it you can move it with the leather
And how would you get it to stay without glueing it? you need to let it attach to some thing, with leathers you can "sew" them gently to the rock and thats done just how it sounds with a needle and thread
Would the Leather that was on the LR attach to the ?? something?? and then you would be back at square one?most likely Attached from the LR to the ?? something ?? and then the ??something?? attached to the 'mother' plant?welcome to the joys of having a reef, the nature of reefs is to build themselves by attaching and growing, trying to prevent this is an exersize in futility and frustration
Many

I replied in red

aloysiusii

I was wondering I saw a Ricordea in your picture on page 1 or 2 well can youfrag one of those and if so will you explain how. Also please post pictures of the process. Thanks I am going to start a frag tank January 2009 and want to start fragging rics and zoas.

lauremf2002

Very helpfull! Thank you! I have a little bunch of green eyed button polyps that keep floating off. Im going to try glueing them tonight

jfp2001

Hey Reefkpr,
Just got through reading thru this thread. What a great thread. :
) I've learned a lot and can't wait to try some on my own. Thank you for all the time and information. I sure do appreciate it and I'm sure there's a lot of others out there that do as well.
Atta Boy