Morish idol

mie

Today i was at one of our lfs and they were selling a 6 inch morish idol for 50 dollars. I was very tempted to buy it because it was so incredible looking, but after few quick minutes of research and a phone call to angler man i decided not to make the purchase. I was kind of bummed. I have never seen one in person i had know idea how gorgeous they are.

yosemite sam

They are very beautiful, but I'm glad you did some research first. They are definitely one fish that shouldn't be collected!

chriscolumbus

Morish idols can be adapted to romaine lettuce.. I did it once when I worked for Pet Lovers in Savannah.. People were amazed.. I could hold the romaine in my hand and she would come up and get it from me.. I would not sell her and she was in the 175gal show tank.. She was fine for the 1 1/2 years I was there, but I heard that not long after I quit she died.. the only problem with her was her top fin started "drooping" about 5 months after we got her in.. it never seemed to bother her though.. she loved picking on the liverock as well

dragonzim

Originally Posted by ChrisColumbus
Morish idols can be adapted to romaine lettuce.. I did it once when I worked for Pet Lovers in Savannah.. People were amazed.. I could hold the romaine in my hand and she would come up and get it from me.. I would not sell her and she was in the 175gal show tank.. She was fine for the 1 1/2 years I was there, but I heard that not long after I quit she died.. the only problem with her was her top fin started "drooping" about 5 months after we got her in.. it never seemed to bother her though.. she loved picking on the liverock as well
Sounds like it just took a year and a half to slowly starve to death. Idols need fresh sponge in their diet

groupergenius

I stopped at a store on the way home from work yesterday that I must have passed 10,000 times and never noticed. Well, it was no loss. I won't be stopping there again.
They had 2 Idols together in one of those little sales cubicles. Both of them missing their top fin and 1 of them missing an eye. $75 each.
I was torn between buying the one healthier specimen just to see if I could give it a better life, but I didn't because I don't want to condone the capture and selling of these beauties. Just sux to think the poor things are going to end up dead soon. What a shame.

wangotango

Originally Posted by florida joe
If you really like the configuration of a Moorish idol look into Wimplefish
Good alternative.
IMO, Morish Idols should be left in the ocean.
-Justin

florida joe

Originally Posted by WangoTango
Good alternative.
IMO, Morish Idols should be left in the ocean.
-Justin
ditto

florida joe

Originally Posted by saltn00b
look up heniochus butterflys - they are often > 50% reef safe even.
I think heniochus diphreutes is the fish he would want if he has a reef tank and not the acuminatus he just needs to make sure which one he is getting

teen

i do agree that moorish idols should be left in the ocean.
romain lettuce isnt a healthy diet for any fish.
i would like to say that i have a friend who has had 3 in a 240g. hes had 2 of them over 3 years, and the other over 2 years. he feeds no special sponge or anything and they eat algae sheets straight from his hand. last time i was at his house, he was trying to get rid of the smallest one (the one hes had for 2 years) because he was only allowed to use half the tank. it was the weirdest thing, he would swim to the middle of the tank, and every time, turn right back around. never venturing past the mid point into the left side of the tank. he said it was because if the fish did swim past that point, the other 2 MI would start beating on him. i found it very odd how he would stop at that line every single time he ventured to the middle of the tank.
anyway, they're really awesome fish. we just had one in at work that was eating frozen clam and algae sheets. we sold him to a guy with a 380 gallon tank. he knew the risk involved, but figured he would take him anyway.

jonthefishguy

I will have to agree with the fact that MOORISH IDOLS' should be left in the ocean. However, I myself have sucess with them and feel that only experienced reef keepers should try and even then, its a flip of the coin. Getting them to eat is the biggest issue as they tend to graze all day. I followed a few once for 45 minutes (give or take) and they tend to just forage for algae and stop and eat whenever they can. I will also have to dissagree with TEEN's statement that romaine isn't healthy for any fish. On the contrary, it is more healthier than NORI. I have a post somewhere on here in which I posted the nutritional value of both and Romaine was the winner. Many public aquariums also feed romaine lettuce because of its nutritional value. It is ICEBURG that is just a filler and has no nutrition.

stdreb27

I think heniochus diphreutes is the fish he would want if he has a reef tank and not the acuminatus he just needs to make sure which one he is getting
yeah, there are 2 differenty types of "banner fish" one is reef safe the other is not.

aquaknight

Jon, please find what you talking about because I found this and is quite the opposite:
Romaine Lettuce (Serving size 6 leaves, 85g) Calories: 20 (not sure why
I put that in there, go figure) Total Fat: 0.5g Saturated Fat: 0g
Cholesterol: 0g
Sodium: 0g
Total Carbohydrate: 3g
Dietary Fiber: 1g
Sugars: 2g
Protein: 1g
Vitamin A: 20%
Vitamin C: 4%
Calcium: 2%
Iron: 2%
Spinach (1 1/2 cups shredded, 85g)
Calories: 40
Total Fat: 0g
Saturated Fat: 0g
Sodium: 160g
Total Carbohydrate: 10g
Dietary Fiber: 5g
Sugars: 0g
Protein: 2g
Vitamin A: 70%
Vitamin C: 25%
Calcium: 6%
Iron: 20%
Nori (per 100g - I'm not sure how many leaves this would be, sorry)
Calories: 356 - 18 calories from fat Total Fat: 2.0g Saturated Fat: 0g
Cholesterol: 22 mg
Sodium: 130g
Total Carbohydrate: 43.6g
Dietary Fiber: 29.1g
Protein: 40.9g
Vitamin A: 24000fEg (per 100g nori has 4x as much: 5,200ug (spinach) vs.
24,000ug (nori)
Vitamin C: 95 mg
Calcium: 410 mg
Iron: 12.7mg

saltn00b

Originally Posted by AquaKnight
Jon, please find what you talking about because I found this and is quite the opposite:
Romaine Lettuce (Serving size 6 leaves, 85g) Calories: 20 (not sure why
I put that in there, go figure) Total Fat: 0.5g Saturated Fat: 0g
Sodium: 0g
Total Carbohydrate: 3g
Dietary Fiber: 1g
Sugars: 2g
Protein: 1g
Vitamin A: 20%
Vitamin C: 4%
Calcium: 2%
Iron: 2%
Spinach (1 1/2 cups shredded, 85g)
Calories: 40
Total Fat: 0g
Saturated Fat: 0g
Sodium: 160g
Total Carbohydrate: 10g
Dietary Fiber: 5g
Protein: 2g
Vitamin A: 70%
Vitamin C: 25%
Calcium: 6%
Iron: 20%
Nori (per 100g - I'm not sure how many leaves this would be, sorry)
Calories: 356 - 18 calories from fat Total Fat: 2.0g Saturated Fat: 0g
Cholesterol: 22 mg
Sodium: 130g
Total Carbohydrate: 43.6g
Dietary Fiber: 29.1g
Protein: 40.9g
Vitamin A: 24000fEg (per 100g nori has 4x as much: 5,200ug (spinach) vs.
24,000ug (nori)
Vitamin C: 95 mg
Calcium: 410 mg
Iron: 12.7mg

jonthefishguy

The food value of nori lies in its high protein content 25-35%, vitamins and mineral salts, especially iodine. Its vitamin C content is about 1.5 times that of oranges.
Nutrients per Serving for Nori Seaweed (Roasted)
Amounts per 1 full sheet (2.1g) Calories (kcal) 4
Water (g) 0
Protein (g) 0.9
Total Fat (g) 0.1
Total Carbohydrate (g) 0.9
Ash (g) 0.2
Sodium (mg) 11
Potassium (mg) 50
Calcium (mg) 6
Magnesium (mg) 6
Phosphorus (mg) 15
Iron (mg) 0.2
Zinc (mg) 0.1
Copper (mg) 0.01
Manganese (mg) 0.08
Retinol (mcg) 0
Alpha Carotene (mcg) 86
Beta Carotene (mcg) 525
Cryptoxanthin (mcg) 21
Retinol Activity Equivalent (mcg) 48
Beta Carotene Activity Equivalent (mcg) 567
Vitamin D (mcg) 0
Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol) (mg) 0.1
Beta Tocopherol (mg) 0
Gamma Tocopherol (mg) 0
Delta Tocopherol (mg) 0
Vitamin K (mcg) 8
Thiamin (mg) 0.01
Riboflavin (mg) 0.05
Niacin (mg) 0.2
Vitamin B6 (mg) 0.01
Vitamin B12 (mg) 1.2
Folic Acid (mcg) 40
Pantothenic Acid (mg) 0.02
Vitamin C (mg) 4
Saturated Fat (g) 0.01
Cholesterol (mg) 0
Dietary Fiber (g) 0.8
ROMAINE LETTUCE
Nutrition Facts
Serving Size: 1 cup
Amount per Serving
Calories 8 Calories from Fat 0
--% Daily Value *
Total Fat 0.06g 0%
Saturated Fat 0g 0%
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 2.27mg 0%
Total Carbohydrate 0.67g 0%
Dietary Fiber 1g 4%
Protein 0.46g 1%
Vitamin A 29%
Vitamin C 22.5%
Calcium 2.5%
Iron 4%
Vitamin K 71%
Thiamin (B1) 4.5%
Riboflavin (B2) 3.5%
Niacin (B3) 2%
Vitamin B6 2%
Folic Acid (Folate) 19%
Manganese 17.5%
Chromium 7.5%
Molybdenum 5%
Est. Percent of Calories from:
Fat 6.8% Carbs 33.5%
Protein 23.0%
I as well as many aquariums prefer romaine over Nori personally. I have seen a better /faster weight gain in those that fed ROMAINE vs. those that fed NORI. Nori is higher in protiens, calories, iron, iodine, etc but there is caloric, nutritional, and mineral value in lettuce.

groupergenius

The heni's never really moved me. Not nearly as elegent as the Idols.
Kinda like Honda versus Harley. Kinda looks the same but,........