Most Overrated?

jmick

Who do you think is the most overrated professional athlete? I guess you can go with anyone you think is just plain overrated.
I'd say either Michele Wie or Danica Patrick.

tangman99

Depends on how you define athelete. I love to play golf and it is a game of skill, but there is nothing athletic about it. When I have 80 year old men owning me at the game, it is not an athletic sport.
I can't think of one really as I'm not a huge sport fan. I would have to disagree though with Danika Patrick. She has some skills.

jmick

Originally Posted by TangMan99
http:///forum/post/2530637
Depends on how you define athelete. I love to play golf and it is a game of skill, but there is nothing athletic about it. When I have 80 year old men owning me at the game, it is not an athletic sport.
I can't think of one really as I'm not a huge sport fan. I would have to disagree though with Danika Patrick. She has some skills.

She might look great in a 2 piece bikini but I don't think she has ever won anything, at least that I am aware of.

reefraff

For Sports figures. Danica Patric and Dale Earnhardt Jr. Both immediatly come to mind. At least Jr. has won some races but nothing to justify the level of hype he gets.
Maybe a overrated hall of fame.
My first nominee for induction would be Ryan Leaf. I am sure there have been bigger busts but I can't think of one.

psu

And to think I thought he would be a better pro then Peyton--can't get much more wrong then that one!

tne1cancme

TangMan99;2530637 said:
Golf at the higher levels is very hard on you athletically. My son is a two time state champion, and trust me 36 holes in one day with a forty pound bag and all the mental aspects of competive golf will drain you and then you turn around and come back the next day and do it all over again. Professional golfers today work out and stay in shape as well as most any other pro athlete.
I'll agree Michelle Wie has been a huge bust since declaring herself a pro(although she is not a member of the LPGA).

pontius

I agree that Danica Patrick is overrated. and Earnhardt Jr is another one. yeah, he's won some races, but he wouldn't even be in the sport if it wasn't for who his dad was. he is not that good a driver, and it amazes me how popular he considering he's just not that good.
another is/was Michael Vick. great athlete, but the most overrated ever at the QB position in my opinion.

sciknen

at the pro level golfers dont even have to carry their bags. hell i was a caddy, it was horrible, but not athletic. i mean the caddy is more of an athlete then the golfer in my eyes.

sigmachris

I would say most PGA golfers are more athletic than a typical MLB closer who comes in to throw 10 or 15 pitches at 95 MPH.

pontius

golf isn't so physical, but it is very much a skill that is hard to do well. there are so many different tiny nuances to golfing well.

ruaround

Originally Posted by Pontius
http:///forum/post/2530967
I agree that Danica Patrick is overrated. and Earnhardt Jr is another one. yeah, he's won some races, but he wouldn't even be in the sport if it wasn't for who his dad was. he is not that good a driver, and it amazes me how popular he considering he's just not that good.
another is/was Michael Vick. great athlete, but the most overrated ever at the QB position in my opinion.
no way... Jr is a good driver, he just races against drivers that were on better teams... now that Jr is on a better team he is the best driver on that team trough four races... as far as Danica goes she is the only female to do what she has done in that sport so of course she is gonna get extra hype... not to mention she is very marketable...
most over rated: Yao Ming, Reggie Bush, Ron Mexico, Phillip Rivers, Kevin Garnett, Dirk Navitzki, (i could go on but wont)...

kaingers

Originally Posted by ruaround
http:///forum/post/2531798
no way... Jr is a good driver, he just races against drivers that were on better teams... now that Jr is on a better team he is the best driver on that team trough four races... as far as Danica goes she is the only female to do what she has done in that sport so of course she is gonna get extra hype... not to mention she is very marketable...
most over rated: Yao Ming, Reggie Bush, Ron Mexico, Phillip Rivers, Kevin Garnett, Dirk Navitzki, (i could go on but wont)...
I agree with Yao and Bush, but being from NC State I'm going to have to say that Rivers is a nasty QB and will prove it once and for all next season.. fo show!

reefforbrains

I actually have a list but most are more obscure and really more within smaller circles that are not as well known.
Here are a few mainstream ones that I am sure most will disagree about.
Ali- Sure he was great for his time but everything is relative. I get so tired of people talking about his abilities being nothing short of supernatural.
Jordan- same ole song and dance. But minor change....stick your tongue out while doing it. Seeing him play live was fine, He was great, amazing even. But NOT magical, NOT a life changing event the way these teens talk about what it would be like to see him in action.
And this is more a a good way to be over-rated but how would Chuck Norris fit into this list?
-RFB

Im not totally sure I can agree with the Reggie Bush either. I cant say he isnt because he hasnt lived up to the hype, yet. When you look at what he did at USC IMO there is no question he was worth the hype. He is a phenominal athlete. I think this year he will have to prove his worth. This being his third season should tell the tale.

pontius

Originally Posted by ReefForBrains
http:///forum/post/2532259
I actually have a list but most are more obscure and really more within smaller circles that are not as well known.
Ali- Sure he was great for his time but everything is relative. I get so tired of people talking about his abilities being nothing short of supernatural.
Jordan- same ole song and dance. But minor change....stick your tongue out while doing it. Seeing him play live was fine, He was great, amazing even. But NOT magical, NOT a life changing event the way these teens talk about what it would be like to see him in action.
And this is more a a good way to be over-rated but how would Chuck Norris fit into this list?
-RFB
I strongly disagree about the Jordan thing. I have seen no one before or since that could hold Jordan's jockstrap.
I've made the same arguments before about Ali. My biggest opinion is that Tyson, at the height of his career, was unbeatable and probably the greatest boxer ever. but I have had this same discussion with someone old enough to have seen both in their prime, and he said that Ali was better. he also reminded me that before Ali was forced into a temporary retirement due to the Vietnam thing, no one ever came close to beating him either. I will also give him the fact that he fought better competition than Tyson. though Tyson was flatout vicious in handling his opponents.
also, to the person who said Jeff Gordon is overrated. no doubt, he is one of the most hated people in racing. but I don't see how anyone with a straight face can say that he is not one of the alltime greats of racing. I hate Tony Stewart, but I recognize that he is probably the best driver going today.

monkdaily

Originally Posted by ruaround
http:///forum/post/2531798
Kevin Garnett, Dirk Navitzki, (i could go on but wont)...
first off its nowitzki, and there is no way either of them are overated if anything dirk is hated on the most. and KG really?? really?? and if u truly believe that you really dont know much about sports. so iam gonna say kobe, poor sport and a ball hog. the reason he is good is he plays 1on5 365days a year
Originally Posted by ReefForBrains

http:///forum/post/2532259
and ali come on now you are talking about the most recognized sporst figure still to this day that cat was a beast and he didnt even get to fight durring the prime of his life you wil never find a 6'3" man that fought and moved had the ring smarts and speed like that man. too bad the govt. ruined his life
and to say jordan is overated thats just blasphemy

ruaround

Originally Posted by monkdaily
http:///forum/post/2532527
first off its nowitzki, and there is no way either of them are overated if anything dirk is hated on the most. and KG really?? really?? and if u truly believe that you really dont know much about sports. so iam gonna say kobe, poor sport and a ball hog. the reason he is good is he plays 1on5 365days a year
so i misspelled Dirks name... wgara... he hasnt done anything since Nash left... KG did shine and proved that he WAS a good player but now he is just mediochre at best... his new team mates are what is making him look good now, but even now he isnt this superforce to be reckoned with... nOwitzki is top 10 in only ONE catergory... KG isnt in the top ten in ANY catergory and in most he doesnt even make the top 40... who is top ten in 3 and top 40 in ALL??? that would be Kobe Bryant... yup he sure is over rated... not that i like him by any means, but he is one of the greatest to play the game...

reefraff

Reggie Bush overrated? Hardly. You got to look at how they used him. First year they started out using him as a decoy then platooning him with McCallister. Second season McAllister got hurt and they expected Bush to be the bruising up the gut back. That isn't going to happen. He got banged up and really had a bad second have of the season.
As far as Jeff Gordon I think he is maybe a tad overrated these days but still a Damned good driver. I think his success was greatly inhanced by Evranham and Dupont if the rumors about tire doping in the 90's is true.