mushroom in a blender, I'm going to prove or disprove it

reefkprz

ok almost every one has heard, if you blend a mushroom and dump it in your tank you end up with thousands of mushrooms.......
well another SWF.com member has put me to the challenge to prove or disprove this. since I have a 12g with Pc light that is mainly going to be a mushroom tank, I accept this challenge.
the equipment.
12g 468 aquarium tank.
via aqua model LV-468 2x18w PC lighting
aqua clear 30 powerfilter set up fuge style
120GPH powerhead
blender w/foodprocceser attachment.
the test subjects.
1 red mushroom (discosomas)
1 watermellon mushroom (discosomas)
1 green speckled mushroom (discosomas)
the actions to be taken.
I will blend the three subjects for one second on "chop" setting
I will then dump the results into the tank and let nature take its course.
I have water prepared in case of crash.
very simple test.
I will post many pictures as this progresses.
Who thinks this is going to work? this will begin in about 2+ hours. (I have to do a few things first in preperation)
Kids dont try this at home.

jerthunter

I think it will work but I would not want to be there for the blending. It sounds like it would look and smell rather gross.

reefkprz

yeah but the urban legend is the blender so thats how I am going to do it. I would prefer to properly frag them for gauranteed success, but this is about proving or disproving the myth.

psyparrot

If you prove this right, it will be awesome as it will give a good way of using only one mushroom to seed a tank
Good Luck

reefkprz

random thought, I just noticed 50 more posts and I'm at 5,000 posts (49 after this one) I think I need to get a life....
just kidding, I love this place.

ric maniac

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
random thought, I just noticed 50 more posts and I'm at 5,000 posts (49 after this one) I think I need to get a life....
just kidding, I love this place.
dang! thats a lot of posts! oh, and i saw the video on you tube and about fainted lol. but, it would be neat if it acrually worked!

tx reef

Me and a friend already did this. We used a small food processor and ground up 30 shrooms (15 different colors). We dumped them in his tank and reduced the flow in the tank for 1 month. After 1 month there were little shrooms all over the place and six months later his tank was almost completely covered in shrooms.
Unfortunately, he got sent to Iraq and broke the tank downand I have no pics of his tank.
What you are doing will work and I hope you are prepared to deal with a tank full of mushrooms.......

oceanlover

Why don't you do a control in your study? Cut one mushroom up manually in to larger chunks and put it in one section of the tank. Put the other mushroom in a blender but be real careful with the blender. (My blender can liquify anything in a few seconds.) Maybe just a "pulse" of the blender (not turning it on fully)? Put the blender portion in another section of the tank.
I am assuming, of course, that you already have experience with just letting the mushrooms grow on their own so you can compare your results to the norm.
It will be interesting to watch your results.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by TX Reef
Me and a friend already did this. We used a small food processor and ground up 30 shrooms (15 different colors). We dumped them in his tank and reduced the flow in the tank for 1 month. After 1 month there were little shrooms all over the place and six months later his tank was almost completely covered in shrooms.
Unfortunately, he got sent to Iraq and broke the tank downand I have no pics of his tank.
What you are doing will work and I hope you are prepared to deal with a tank full of mushrooms.......

cool, this is going to be a mushroom based tank anyhow so I am definatly prepared for a tank full of shrooms.
I'm still going to go through with it here, so people can see the results with pictures on this site. great feedback TX thanks.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by OceanLover
I am assuming, of course, that you already have experience with just letting the mushrooms grow on their own so you can compare your results to the norm.
It will be interesting to watch your results.
I have grown one or two, and fragged them at least once....

jerthunter

If this works than it would be cool to setup a frag tank with a bunch of reef plugs and put the blended mushrooms on the plugs. If they grew it would be a quick and easy way to grow lots of mushroom frags for trading.

reefkprz

Day 1 blending the victims, um subjects. I will post a day 2 shot tommorrow of the tank, its all yucky looking right now, then once a week pics of the tank after that.

reefkprz

oh first casualty, a large chunk of red shroom fell onto a protopaly and is et, (yes et is a real word not a typo). the struggle of life on the big reef continues.

ridomart

I know your a fragging maniac so I figure your the one to ask about frags. Do you think zoo's , mushrooms, ect. grow better under power compacts than MH's, once their fragged ? Place high ( within 6 inches of the power compacts )?

reefkprz

IMO zoas do best under higher lighting. shrooms do best under medium light (PC) angled like a backslash . shrooms tend to stay smaller under intense light and dont seem to spread as fast.

S

smartorl

So did you play them some sort of theme song when you put them in? I like that we got to see the instrument of doom prior to the actual event, lol.
I can't wait to see the results! Really cool.

S

smartorl

By the way, you did tell your signifigant other about the blender right? Regardless of how much you cleaned it, I don't think I could face another smoothie out of it, ;).