Mushroom threw up? O.o?!?

kilofey

Today, one of my shrooms had this little white booger thing comming out of its mouth. i took it out & whiped the white stuff off and it was a brownish color when it was on the towel. I was very gentle to get the white mushroom booger off, but what the heck was it? Anyone ever had this happen before? Im guessing I should probably leave it alone next time cause it looks pretty pissed off at me at the moment

lol

If it looked brownish on paper, it could be expelling zooxanthellae and possibly getting ready to bleach...
Then there's another possibility of chemical warfare if you have any other corals near by.

meowzer

FIrst of all.....My first guess would be poop.....SECOND.....why would you take it out to wipe it off? FOR future reference....if yo usee a discharge on anything that you are not sure of.....gently siphon it off with a baster.....removing the mushroom probably cause undue stress to it

kilofey

Hm, I suppose both are reasonably possible. I am treating the tank with pimafix & melafix (today is last day & fish looks great!) So maybe the zooanthelae are jumping ship, all other corals are reasonably happy though. And up until 2 days ago, my favia was about 4-5" away from it... Well, I hope it makes it through, I wouldnt be too heart broken if it didnt though. Im about to start selling some of my shrooms cause I have too many

kilofey

FIrst of all.....My first guess would be poop.....SECOND.....why would you take it out to wipe it off? FOR future reference....if yo usee a discharge on anything that you are not sure of.....gently siphon it off with a baster.....removing the mushroom probably cause undue stress to it
Well... I mean... I took it out cause... Iono, im new and we all make mistakes lol. It wouldnt have come off with a baster. After I saw how pissed off it was I quickly realized I probably shouldnt have done it (lesson learned).
It was only.brown when I whiped it off. When iy was on the mushroom, it was all white.

1guydude

Quote:
mesenterial filament
meaning the guts correct? LOL
Ive got plenty of shrooms in all sizes and colors and this is the way they defend themselves or when they are stressed. They spit their guts out their mouth. This will hurt any corals that touch the guts...
looks like white stringy stuff...

kilofey

Update: the shroom from this thread is fully recovered and for some reason, it seemes to have forced it into a growth spurt. It was the size of a golf ball when I wrote this back in september, but a couple months later, it bloomed to bigger than the palm of my hand :) and its more vibrant than it was before too lol, so who knows... But now its one of my 2 favorite mushrooms