My 180 Reef

salty chee

Originally posted by Dogstar
Im not sure what it is. Ill post the pic and maybe someone else does

All I know is its a goby.

teresaq

hi dorstar, wanted to say your tank is wonderful. Might have to ask some advise when i set up my 150. right now i have a 55. will be setting up 150 when i move into new house. Where in florida are you. I am in cape coral, on the gulf side. I am going to use my 55 for a fuge/sump. anyway, your tank looks great.

sharksbait

That is one nice lookin tank.Here I thought I had alot of fish in my 400(16 including half a dozen tangs) but you got me beat.I have a 2 inch Hippo and about a 6 inch sailfin and they turned out to be best friends.Do all of your tangs get along and hangout together or do you notice certain ones that group together?

archie

Dogstar Hi great job. looks wonderful. I was wondering if you could send me the spcs on your refugium and where to get the seaweed. and how to set up one for my 75gal. I have a 30gal tank under my 75 for a sump. and want to setup a refugium . could you please e-mail me at ArchieNorris@msn.com and let me know .. Thanks a bunch.
Archie

dogstar

sharks, do they get along? Pretty much exept the runt yellow thinks he scaring the others every now and then but they just laugh at him. I tell them that there in a 400g so there fooled.

Archie, and anyone else thats intrested. This is my sump/fuge I made. Its cramped but I guess it does the job. Made it to hold the 10 x 10 trickle box from an old wet/dry I had. Its 36 x 16 x 16in. the red is a remora skimmer I had from another tank so I put it to work and the orange is a berlin classic skimmer that I made mufflers for the splashing. The blue is a turbo 6 uv steralizer. I had a different one on the left side befor this one but it was just easier to put it on the right this time. The fuge area is 16 x 16 in. and the baffles are 1.5 in apart and 1.5 in. off the bottom. The return pumps are two Mag 9.5s and all the flow for my tank goes thru the fuge and no problem w/ bubbles or heavy currents. I have a lot of junk LR tucked all over the place in there too and about 4 in of mud/sand bed. The arrows on the left are from top , Power off, one pump on, two pumps on, and the last arrow is evaporation max. The water always stays higher than the fuge baffle so by the time it gets to the pumps all the bubbles are gone from the water. I never understood why ppl. make fuges with waterfalls ect. but I guess they have there reasons. If I had more room in my cabinet I would have made it bigger but I have a chiller and all the ballest for my lighting in there so....I think some where back in the thread is a pic of my sump/fuge. The microalgea I got from a LFS and it grows pretty fast so I think its doing it job and I dont have algea problems in the main. I have to thin the weeds about every 4 months. My nitrates float around 15 to 25. Everything is used to that.

dogstar

I wasnt sure we could upload pics yet so ill go ahead and post the fuge here cause im sure everyones sick of seeing my thread allready.
This ones w/ the old uv still on the left so you dont see it.

fishybiz

Actually, I got the pic from a site of an lfs that Dogstar goes to in Broward county. I want to find out what the heck it is so I may be able to find one. I tried calling the lfs a couple of times but I only get their machine. I figure someone there MUST know what the heck it is! Isn't he awesome?:happyfish

dogstar

I already said what it is. It a Bluespotted Jawfish from the Gulf of Califonia. Like many fish there are different colored versions. This one mostly have an orange head put the pic is a rare black headed bluespotted jawfish = Opistognathus rosenblatti.

fishybiz

Thanks Dog. That word, RARE, I don't much care for. It usually means $$$$.
Thanks for the help from your cerebral Encyclopedia.

fishybiz

Hey Dog, you ever see any of these at Exotic Aquatics? I can't seem to find them ANYWHERE on the net.
Even the pages that pics of various gobie colorations do not have pics of this one.
GEEZ, is it THAT rare??
I really don't want to go to Cali to catch my own.
Hey Noob, can you get a boat for a trip to Cali? lol