My 29 BioCube UPDATED PICS

R

rattler739

Originally Posted by PerfectDark
The gorgonians you got are not light dependant at all they require no light to survive. Typically the polyups will extend when they are hungry, not seeing them at this stage is only an indication that its not hungry and could be indeed still getting acclimated to your tank.
They need a decent amount of flow....how much? well to gauge it in a visual perspective.. sustained flow directly on them, but not so much that it is bent over from the flow. I would say medium to medium high.
I hope this helps... I wouldnt worry about it too much just yet.
I knew that these are not light dependant but I have heard that if you give them to much light that they would not be happy, and i was just making sure that the stock lighting was not so strong that it would make them unhappy.
Thanks for clearing that up that is kind of what i had figured but was not sure.

perfectdark

OK, WELL TO TOP OFF THIS WEEKEND I FOUND A STEAL!! WELL I THINK ITS A STEAL.. LOL
This is a piece of LR that is about 6" long about 3" high and 4" deep, it has approx 3 times the amount of zoas you see in this pic including the ones that arent open yet. Online I have seen these "super colored zoa's" and they are not cheap. $70 for a piece of LR with the Super Green ones like 5 to 10 polyups per piece of LR... This piece has 2 different maybe 3 colors of the so called super colored zoas on it and if I was to guess there are approx 150 polyups on the whole rock. They havent even begun to open up yet more pics when they do....
. Cant wait to frag these bad boys... My LFS will give me alot of credit for these.. They never get zoas like this.

Finally my Anenome Shrimp decided to pose...

My tube anenome originally thought to be just a brown tube now I see it is indeed a purple tube anenome..
fully opened and looking for food.

perfectdark

Originally Posted by rattler739
I knew that these are not light dependant but I have heard that if you give them to much light that they would not be happy, and i was just making sure that the stock lighting was not so strong that it would make them unhappy.
Thanks for clearing that up that is kind of what i had figured but was not sure.

Hey rattler,
I have heard the same thing for a sun coral.. too much light actually is bad for them.. For the gorgonians I really dont know if thats true or not..sorry.

R

rattler739

Hey rattler,
I have heard the same thing for a sun coral.. too much light actually is bad for them.. For the gorgonians I really dont know if thats true or not..sorry.

Thats ok I see that yours is kind of in the middle and is totally open so I guess this kind of light cant be that bad for them. I think what the place we heard it from ment is that gorgonians dont like A LOT of light, like MH, ect, or being really high in the tank, but IDK
, could be totally wrong.

perfectdark

Thats ok I see that yours is kind of in the middle and is totally open so I guess this kind of light cant be that bad for them. I think what the place we heard it from ment is that gorgonians dont like A LOT of light, like MH, ect, or being really high in the tank, but IDK
, could be totally wrong.
Well the one I have in my tank IS light dependant.. it doesnt require alot but it is photosynthetic.. Its not considered a deep sea gorgonian as yours are. So mine will feed in the day and the night..

R

rattler739

Well the one I have in my tank IS light dependant.. it doesnt require alot but it is photosynthetic.. Its not considered a deep sea gorgonian as yours are. So mine will feed in the day and the night..

That is pretty cool Is it easier or harder to care for, or about the same?

perfectdark

That is pretty cool Is it easier or harder to care for, or about the same?

I think its about the same.. the only one thing that would make it eaiser IMO is that because it is light dependant its polyups are out more often.

R

rattler739

I think its about the same.. the only one thing that would make it eaiser IMO is that because it is light dependant its polyups are out more often.
Yep they do look a lot better with the polyps out, well thats cool.

R

rattler739

tell me what you think of this... my red gorgonian base was rotting so i took the live pieces(3 branches) and made little frags to try to save it, do you think that this will work or do you think that it is doomed? the other ones are doing good however, but the yellow one is starting to get some brown algae(or something) on it and its in good flow.
Please help
thanks

perfectdark

Yes taking the frags and placing them else where will be fine. They should do ok. Gorgonians grow slow so it will take some time. If you happen to get build up on them you can get a soft brush and brush them off. you can rinse them off too either in fresh or salt water while you brush them off. All these things can be done to help rid the coral of build up. It not uncommon for the area that you cover up with either sand, reef putty or LR to rot their outter covering exposing their skeleton. However it shouldnt extend up past the part that is covered. Hope this helps.

perfectdark

OK BIG CHANGES !!!!
Well yesterday I was looking at my LR placment and was getting a bit annoyed. It appeared that there was wasted space in my tank and I need to aquascape a bit.. So I filled up a pan of my SW from my tank and took out all my corals that were not stuck on my LR. Then my wife went to town on the tank she re-arranged everything in the tank, making caverns and flat areas for corals to spread and to place new corals on. So I have some full tank shots and others.
ALSO !!!
I found a deal I could not refuse... I was shown a pair of incredibly colored True Perc's that although were not considered a "mated pair" they were a pair accepted eachother as tank mates and from what I have read and witnessed (because I watched them for about an hour before I made my decision) it will be only a matter of time before they do mate. They are still juvenilles and only a tad longer than an inch but the black on them is dark and full. My hope is that they will fill in similar to an onyx but even if they dont they have alot of black on them. I traded up my Orange and Black Ocellaris and my B&W ocellaris for them... ENJOY !!

And any comments are more than welcome. Thanks for looking.
FULL TANK SHOTS

bonebrake

Wow P.D.! I haven't checked in on your thread in a long time and your tank is looking awesome! Nice work buddy!

My 90 gal. display and 200 gal. total system should be up and running by next month. I can't wait!

perfectdark

Thanks man !!
Its good to hear from someone that has taught me alot about reef tanks from the get go.
Last I read you mentioned you were getting your 90 set up. I am anxious to see some pictures of it.. I too hope to get a 90 gal eventually, that was my plan from the get go. To start with a small tank and learn on it. Then get a nice big one.
Hope to see pictures of yours soon...

L

lbaskball

nice tank perfect dark,
a word of advice though, be on the lookout with that anemone that you have going towards the powerheads. They have the tendency to go right at the powerhead and get sucked inside those small holes. (I say this from experience, I had the same powerhead you had)
how much did you buy the Rose anemone for?

perfectdark

Thanks for the heads up lbaskball...Yea it happened once before to me but I caught it in time. It was with another anenome though. This guy, luckily hasent ventured over there "yet" but Im sure its just a matter of time.
IMO I stole this anenome. It split from a bigger one at my LFS and IMO its not tiny its about 3" in dia at its base. They only charged me $30.00 for it, I cant find a rose bubble tip for under $80.00 no matter what the size locally. So I am hoping this guy will split a few times for me. I figure I can sell the offspring maybe make a few bucks. Thanks for looking.. and for the heads up