My 29 BioCube UPDATED PICS

perfectdark

Originally Posted by TriGa22
Ver nice tank. Love the rockwork. How are the clowns and the royal gramma?
TY,
I dont know how common this is or not. When I bought the gramma it was the first fish for the tank. I was nervous about territory when i added the clowns but i figured adding 2 would make the gramma a less bossy host.
I also had the fortune to purchase my clowns that were not only aquacultured but locally raised. IDK if that matters at all but, these guys hit the water and it was like they had lived there since they were born. I have heard that even the false percs can get a little funky when introduced to the tank. And the gramma seemed to love the fact that she had tank buds now. Shes been an absolute peach.

caribbeannie

I've been at this for a week: a LAS is guiding me along. How long did it take for your tank to cycle, or did it? I used live rock, just about the same amount that you did: it never really had that significant ammonia spike.All of the pH, ammonia, and nitrate/nitrites read great. I've added a clean up crew like yours, and today added a clown and coral. When I fed the fish (not much) brine shrimp, it seemed to clog up the filter: do you turn yours off when you feed? Any advice is appreciated!

mr.bled

thats a nice tank! is that the anenome that was giving you probs by staying away from the light? it has a nice color to it.

aquaguy24

tank looks great. coming along very nicely. i still havn't added my first fish yet. maybe this weekend. still thinking two true clowns or one sixline and a diamond goby..

perfectdark

Originally Posted by caribbeannie
I've been at this for a week: a LAS is guiding me along. How long did it take for your tank to cycle, or did it? I used live rock, just about the same amount that you did: it never really had that significant ammonia spike.All of the pH, ammonia, and nitrate/nitrites read great. I've added a clean up crew like yours, and today added a clown and coral. When I fed the fish (not much) brine shrimp, it seemed to clog up the filter: do you turn yours off when you feed? Any advice is appreciated!
Hi Carribbeannie,
I started my tank up on a Saturday afternoon and by Sunday evening I had 2 fish in it. Now, before I go on some people will tell you that this was not the ideal way to go. However, I followed a specific set of guidlines so that I could put fish in within 24 hrs. I set my tank up, all the sand I wanted and a few pc's of LR got all the water in made sure eveything looked good and then started it up. I let it run for about an hour to see if everything worked properly and then, I put in Biospira which cycles your tank inside of 24 hours. Actually you need to put fish in your tank within the first 24 hours of using biospira or else all the bacteria that it provides to your tank dies, because there are no fish in there to keep the cycle going.
I honestly have never seen any "spikes" in my amonia levels when i have cycled my tanks all of them. All fresh water, this being my 1st SW, I know that it happens so they tell you to use a real hardy fish during the cycling process. Damsels seem to be the one of choice, and a few people have said clowns too. Me personaly pushed the envelope and bought a Royal Gramma and a Scooter Blenny. The Gramma was IMO a perfect choice however the bleeny was sold to me by someone who was more concerned in making $ than the welfare of the fish. I had no idea being new to SW that he needed a more established tank, unfortunatly I lost him before i learned of his needs. The gramma thrives and loves her tank and also has an insatable appetite.
As for adding any live stock? I added the fish and then I let 2 weeks pass before adding anything else. Remember anything you add to the tank adds to your bioload. You dont want to add too much too quickly. Inverts, Corals, and Anenomies dont add nearly as much as fish but, Corals and Anomies need a stable environment. I didnt put my first coral in till the tank was running for about a month, same with the anenomie.
Feeding: Be carful do not over feed, if you are putting enough food in to cloud your tank or clog your filter IMO you are over feeding. You only have one fish in there, when I just had the Gramma I literally used 1 small cube of Formula 1 food (frozen) that lasted me a whole month. No joke 1 month just enough food that the fish can consume in about 20 sec (BTW The cube is no bigger than your thumb nail), I would shave off 1 sliver and chop it up into little bit size pieces for my fish. The're are particles that will not be eatin and your cleaning crew and your filter will pick up that slack. Also if you have a coral in there (dont know which you have), you will need to feed it too. Phytoplankton is common but there are various types. Check your LFS see what they say or ask here. The type of coral you have will determine what and how often to feed it.
Your choice of food is good but IMO not the best, I use Formula 1 frozen. My fish love it, and it has tons of other essential nutrients in it for them. I also add a very very small amount of brine and believe it or not the LTA loves it. Its basically for it, but the clowns will take some bites. All in all my tank is crystal clear no particulates floating around in about 45 sec after I feed. No, I do not turn off my filters when i feed I never saw that they were taking food away from the fish at feeding time.
** Keep checking your levels if there is enough food in your tank to clog your filters keep a close eye on everything. If all is good, then good, if not do a water change IMO 15% RO/DI water. Im not assuming you did over feed but like I said any amount of food more than what the fish can eat inside of 20 to 30 secs is too much, so enought to clog a filter is IMO too much too.
Cleaning crews are important, make sure you have enough in there to do the work they are intended to do. I have about 20 hermits, 6 various sm snails, 2 crabs (emerald greens), 3 Turbo snails 1 is a Mexican turbo. Occasionally i have seen my hermits snacking on a snail. I dont know if that is common or not but i have read posts where it does happen. So, every now and then I plop a coule more in there. Hope this helps, feel free with any more questions. I will answer what i can as I too am new at this. :jumping:

perfectdark

Originally Posted by caribbeannie
P.S.: my tank is exactly like yours.......
post some pics when you can we love to see new tanks set up.

perfectdark

Originally Posted by mr.bled
thats a nice tank! is that the anenome that was giving you probs by staying away from the light? it has a nice color to it.

Yea thats him alright, after asking some questions and doing some research I learned a few things. First is he likes both dark and light environments, he feels safe being under the "reef" most of the time. He has also positioned him self to maneuver his body into the light when it comes on. He does this to feed all the while is foot is securly fastened to the LR underneath. All he has to do is relax and like a rubber band he pulls back under the LR. I put a few small pieces of Brine in the tank right near him and he loves it. Snags em up with his tenticles and plows them into his mouth. I also feed him Phytoplankton, larger particulate concentrate as he is capable of consuming larger foods than my corals.
One cool and not so cool thing about them. The're tenticles have a neat feeling to them. They leave a really REALLY slimey coat on your hands if you touch them. And lastly, LTA and BTA dont have an irritating sting as I thought they would. HOWEVER IT DOES NOT FEEL GOOD IF THE ACTUAL TENTICLE COMES IN CONTACT WITH A CUT ON YOUR FINGER !!! ask me how I know that? For some reason it felt like someone dripped LAVA onto my cut.

perfectdark

Originally Posted by aquaguy24
tank looks great. coming along very nicely. i still havn't added my first fish yet. maybe this weekend. still thinking two true clowns or one sixline and a diamond goby..
TY, hmm good choices, all are nice fish. I am partial to Percs, trues are really cool, especially when they host on an Anenomie or Coral. Post pics when you deceide. My last fish is going to be a Midas Blenny... very colorful and personable. I was also thinking of a Pygmy Angel, nice addition too.

perfectdark

Originally Posted by BamBam_250r
What kind of lights do you have on that?
Hi BamBamm
I have the std PC Coralife lights that the BioCube gives you. I have to be strategic in where I place some corals and there are some corals I def cannot have. So the different elevations they are at are for lighting purposes as well as asthetics. My polyups are doing great they have only been in there for a week and a half and already 2 individual pcs fragged onto my LR and the main cluster that I purchased assimilated the LR it was touching and is now attached to it too. I was shocked that it happened soo quickly.

perfectdark

Originally Posted by BamBam_250r
Cool. I use PCs too but yours seem really white. Looks good. I need to change my rocks around I think.
Yea I thought that too when I look at others pictures. I think its my camera, apprature settings, shutter speed all that. I dont use the flash, but its a fairly new and quite expensive camera and I am ashamed to say I dont know alot of its functions yet. I know if I mess with the lenses and the functions I can get wayyy more detailed and clearer pics
Good luck moving your LR around, I have done that 4 times to my tank each time I stir up a load of crap clouding my tank for about 3 to 4 hours. It all settles down but then I have to rinse off all my filter floss and my sponge. In hind site I should of got all my rock at once and set it up the way I wanted it. Instead I bought it piece by piece, well you know what they say hind site is always 20/20.

perfectdark

Originally Posted by Bonebrake
If you see it has its white polyps out, take advantage of it and squirt some phytoplankton at it gently with a turkey baster. I would do this up to three times a week if the opportunity presents itself. You would not have to feed the rest of your corals as long as you do this because they will catch whatever the gorgonian does not. If the white polyps are not extended though don't bother, it can't eat without polyp extension. If you have good vision, you can actually see the eight fingers of the white polyps wrap around a piece of food and pull it into the gorgonian. It is really cool.
Hey man thanks for the advise on the Yellow Gorgonian. I started feeding as you described ensuring that the coral gets a healthy dose of plankton. Now you can actually see yellow filling in the areas of red. Its not alot right now but its like a yellow film starting to cover some areas of the red. Looks like hes getting better. And I did see he his fingers grab the food and pull it in.
One question, will this coral attach itself to my LR or is it more of a free standing coral?

bonebrake

It takes a very long time (months to a year) for them to attach to live rock on their own.
I killed mine by trying to attach it to live rock, but I did it the wrong way. You actually have to shave off the yellow like tree bark and get down to the the red core and then stick the red core in a hole and then glue or epoxy around it to get it to stay. The yellow will then grow down and encrust over the glue/epoxy eventually. When I did it, I did not shave the yellow off, so it rotted in the hole and fell out later and it eventually killed the entire gorgonian. I learned my lesson the hard way.
If you don't feel comfortable doing this, you can very tightly rubberband it down to a rock if you want.
:joy:

perfectdark

Great man thanks, I actually have it wedged in a hole in a piece of LR, for now. Getting this thing to stay put is a pain. Thanks again

aquaguy24

how dow u keep ur tank so clean looking mine has lot of stuff floating around cuz of my inverts kickin up all the stuff up into the water...

perfectdark

Originally Posted by zanoshanox
this project is coming along most excellently. very nice tank.

Thanks man, much appreciated.