my 5.5 gallon nano diary : D

ughh! I woke up to my tank being at 70degrees this morning. When I went to bed it was 81 and the heater was still on. I woke up and it was still on but at 70 degrees. Will my snails be ok with that big of a temperature change because im not going home for like another week and i cant exchange my heater until then
edit: is it possible there isnt enough flow and so one corner is just really warm? it seems as though it takes almost all day for it to get to 80. Also we leave our window open at night and the tank is right by the window so the room gets pretty cold, could it just be us leaving the window open? shouldnt the heater be strong enough o heat 5.5gallons of water anyway though?

figured i was due for a water change as my cycle just finished. So i did a rather big one. A whole gallon haha, silly me i forgot to turn off my filter and when i dumped the water i did it in a way that messed up my sand a bit so i fixed it all and the water has cleared up since. Rookie mistake >.<

yeah ill post one later tonight, looks about the same as it did except a bunch of the coraline algae i had on this one rock started to fade/go white.

here are some post cycle pictures
SNAIL!!!!

FTS

some star polyps that came on this rock

these are all cellphone pictures, when i actually start getting some stuff of worth ill use my roomates camera/HD video camera to get some sick stuff

whisk

your temperature fluctuations are definitely because of keeping the tank next to an open window. Maybe try closing the window one night and see how much the temp varies then. It could also very well be because of your cheap heater. I personally think you should get it away from that window, maybe move your desk away from the window if you can. good luck dude
Pics are looking good too.

yeah we kept it closed last night and that solved the problem. Its gettting cold so we have been starting to close it. It is also a little cuz of the heater it hink. Thanks for the help. Im thinking abou getting a little gumdrop goby (looks more like a baby clown goby). But i dont know if it would be too much if i got a yashia too

nano-newb1983

Originally Posted by Freeborder_01
http:///forum/post/2820679
does that mean i need stronger lights?
i would def get some stroger lights, i had same problem for awhile. Now since i got my new lights its been looking great..
Also, your tank is coming along nice... keep it up

alright, im going home next weekend and im going to try and return my lights for full price if they will let me *crosses fingers* so i can have some money to get new ones.
I had a question though. Last night and the last few nights ive noticed this long tube/worm looking thing come out of my live rock. Its pretty long and comes out of a crack but when it comes out it isnt sliding out its like growing in length from inside its self. So when i shine a light on it it has a hole at the end of the tube and the sides roll up inside itself and it just shrinks away into the rock. Sorry if that makes no sense but its the best way for me to describe it. Imagine you have a pvc pipe in water and you pull the opening just barely below the water so the water waterfalls into the middle. thats what the worm/tube does when it shrinks except with its outter skin? I cant get a picture unfortunately because its only out at night and is gone pretty fast when i hit the light

went to the lfs to get some water, of course they get new livestock in on fridays, OPPSSS : D
So i picked up this little fella. Hopefully he makes it. Its my first salt water fish. Green clown goby, i think im naming him dale because he looks so mundane all the time and dale seems like a mundane name imo

just put him in there, he quickly found himself a little hiding spot. Threw in a pinch of food to see if he would eat but he didnt. Snails however all quickly shot out of the sand and went nuts haha. He seems shy but im sure he will come out eventually :DD

wooo!!! just went to a lfs about 15 minutes from my dorm and i gues they get stock in on saturdays because they had a ton of new stuff. I picked up a sexy shrimp and when i came home my green clown was out and sitting waiting to say hi! pics will come later if i can snap one of the shrimp

woot here is is : D

his name is toast and he will have friends eventually but the lfs only had 2 and i heard its good to keep them in odd numbers so i got 1