My 75 build

R

rcreations

I'm not sure I understand what you mean about the drainage valve. I've always used one and never had a problem. The return pump goes a certain speed, it can not speed up. It can get clogged and slow down or get dirty, but it can't just go faster than it's designed. I slow down the drain just a little and never had an issue.

crypt keeper

Thank you both for replies.
-- great design.
Aqua. If I choose to go that route which tank does my tank drain? Which tank does my return come from?
Here is my new used current tank. I have the other 75 with no overflow built in for sale. This is an oceanic 75 glass with the overflow. It has 1 return built in as well. The 20L is sitting plush against the inside ofthe stand on the left so I'm not sure how much space is left. The stand is 48 inches long. Maybe my 20L is longer than I thought. Sorry for the crappy pictures. Its cold outside and I dont want to clean it out just yet.
Should i take all that coraline algae off or just leave it be?

salt life

I'd leave the coraline, it gives it some character so you don't have to wait for it to grow on there. but I think it is a personal preference, if you like it on there or not.

mantisman51

Saltlife, I think you meant Costa Maya. It's a beautiful, and as of 2 years ago, unspoiled town just north of the Belize border. Rent a Jeep and go to the ruins. It is an amazing drive. BTW, I dumped my sump and went back to a trouble free canister filter with a HOB Skilter. I never run the skilter, because I have had 0 issues with any unbalances since going back to the canister. My sump/skimmer were the "low maintenance" models, but if one part of the system had a problem, my floor was flooded. Too much hassle. When I clean my canister, it is full of copepods and all sorts of critters and I have very little to know algae or nitrite/nitrates/phosphates, so the system works as good as the best sump set up is supposed to. Good luck with it, I just am a little sore that I got talked into a $250 boondoggle when what I had worked fine for my 125g reef.

aquaknight

Originally Posted by RCreations
http:///forum/post/2963375
I'm not sure I understand what you mean about the drainage valve. I've always used one and never had a problem. The return pump goes a certain speed, it can not speed up. It can get clogged and slow down or get dirty, but it can't just go faster than it's designed. I slow down the drain just a little and never had an issue.
Restricting the drain, is just causing an unnecessary kink in the flow chain. If you need to turn down the flow, just use the ball valve on the return line to slow the pump down, which will slow the drain. Closing the drain line, is going to cause a back up somewhere. Perhaps on a reefready/drilled tank it's not as easy to notice, but if you tried to close the drain on a HOB overflow, you'll know in a hurry never to do that again.
Basically the return pump adds water at a certain rate to the display, which causes extra water to spill over and down to the sump. If you just close the drain line, the pump will still be adding water at the same rate, but the drain will be going slower, causing a back up somewhere, in the overflow section with the durso, or in the display itself. If you need to slow the drain, just restrict the return pump.
Originally Posted by crypt keeper

http:///forum/post/2963608
Aqua. If I choose to go that route which tank does my tank drain? Which tank does my return come from?
Water would drain into the skimmer area. An extra pump would send water into the refugium. I wouldn't have the drain going right into the fuge because the flow would likely be too strong.

R

rcreations

The problem with my tanks, both that I have is that the drain line is rated for higher GPH than my pump. So if I don't turn down the drainage line to match the pump, I get a gurgling noise.

crypt keeper

Originally Posted by It's Chuck
http:///forum/post/2964363
Hey Crypt they make hang on the back sock kits for home made set ups like your doing
what is that? I know little to nothing on these skimmer/sump set ups. I never set one up. My 90 had one already done and I just left it alone because it was working. Now I have changed the game with a better skimmer reef ready.

it's chuck

it is a micron filter only instead of a sheet of it, it is a "sock" it would be your prefilter/mechanical filtration there are kits made to hang on the side of a tank for people building their own sump/fuge.

crypt keeper

I dont want anything hanging on the sides. Im trying to keep it as clean as possible. Im going to run the set up R.C posted and see what happens. I dont have a lot of room underneath the tank. If I need extra space maybe a 15 tall like Aquaknight posted but that will come if needed.
What is a good return pump.
Also Im going to keep 3 maybe 4 fish in the tank. This will only be for about 8 to 12 months at the most as Im going to set a 150 or 180 while im running this set up. Then bigger as I go. The 150/180 will be fine for a couple of years even if I add two other fish to it.
Blueface Angel. 4 inches right now
Flame Angel will probably be about 2 inches when I purchase
Bi Color Angel. Be around 3 inches when I purchase.
Humu Humu. Very slow growing and around 3 inches as well.
75 to 85 pounds of live rock.
2 inch sand bed.
What do you think? Im not going to make seperate threads. All my questions and comments will be posted in this diary of sorts

it's chuck

The Sock goes in your sump not the tank I will take pics of what I am talking about tomorrow, also I would try to get my hands on a cheap 29 if I were you, same footprint as a 20 long but 6 inches taller. I have a Quiet one 4000 as the return for my 100 would be a good pump for you, maybe a mag 12 if you can spend the extra dough. As far as the stocklist goes I a big fan of Xanthichthys family and if not them then I would look at Sufflamen family the blue belly is on my radar currently

salt life

Originally Posted by mantisman51
http:///forum/post/2963750
Saltlife, I think you meant Costa Maya. It's a beautiful, and as of 2 years ago, unspoiled town just north of the Belize border. Rent a Jeep and go to the ruins. It is an amazing drive. BTW, I dumped my sump and went back to a trouble free canister filter with a HOB Skilter. I never run the skilter, because I have had 0 issues with any unbalances since going back to the canister. My sump/skimmer were the "low maintenance" models, but if one part of the system had a problem, my floor was flooded. Too much hassle. When I clean my canister, it is full of copepods and all sorts of critters and I have very little to know algae or nitrite/nitrates/phosphates, so the system works as good as the best sump set up is supposed to. Good luck with it, I just am a little sore that I got talked into a $250 boondoggle when what I had worked fine for my 125g reef.
huh? when did i meant costa maya? lol im confused

R

rcreations

I use a Mag-Drive pump in my 150 and an Eheim in my 65. They're both very good, haven't had any problems with them. The Eheim is kinda bulky so I think the Mag-Drive is better.

crypt keeper

what size tubing do you have connected for your return?
I cant seem to find pump ratings for the mag drive. I have a sedra 3500 on the skimmer So what would be the correct size mag drive for a return. I dont want too liitle or more return right?

black cobra

Originally Posted by crypt keeper
http:///forum/post/2965077
what size tubing do you have connected for your return?
I cant seem to find pump ratings for the mag drive. I have a sedra 3500 on the skimmer So what would be the correct size mag drive for a return. I dont want too liitle or more return right?
I think standard size tubing for return pumps is 1".
But you could always just take your pump with you to Loews/Home Depot and fit it up to hose that fits.
Also when your fitting it it will probably be tight so to make it a little bit more stretchy, dip the ends in a cup of boiling water for a few minutes to make it soft.

R

rcreations

Here are the different mag pumps, with dimensions and type/size connection. You probably want the drain pipe to be a dimension larger than the return.
Mag Drive 2 24 5.0" x 3.8" x 4.2" 1/2" MPT / 1/2" FPT
Mag Drive 3 35 5.0" x 3.8" x 4.2" 1/2" MPT / 1/2" FPT
Mag Drive 5 45 5.0" x 3.8" x 4.2" 1/2" MPT / 1/2" FPT
Mag Drive 7 70 5.0" x 3.8" x 4.2" 1/2" MPT / 1/2" FPT
Mag Drive 9.5 93 5.0" x 3.0" x 5.5" 3/4" MPT / 3/4" FPT
Mag Drive 12 110 6.4" x 4.5" x 4.6" 3/4" MPT / 3/4" FPT
Mag Drive 18 145 6.4" x 4.5" x 4.6" 3/4" MPT / 3/4" FPT

crypt keeper

well the sedra 3500 is rated at 350 gph. so would the mag drive 350 be the correct choice as its rated the same or do I want more GPH on the return?

crypt keeper

Originally Posted by BLACK COBRA
http:///forum/post/2965112
I think standard size tubing for return pumps is 1".
But you could always just take your pump with you to Loews/Home Depot and fit it up to hose that fits.
Also when your fitting it it will probably be tight so to make it a little bit more stretchy, dip the ends in a cup of boiling water for a few minutes to make it soft.

how does a 1 inch tube fit over a 1/2 outlet?