My Chickens :)

al&burke

Some people put a mesh floor connected to the outer walls then nothing big can get in. I have mesh buried around some of my coop and I also have two 8x8 posts buried in the ground so nothing can dig underneath the perimeter.

meowzer

Yes, we have thought about that....BUT.....will the mesh wire ( on the bottom) hurt their feet???

meowzer

That's good to know......Someone told us it could hurt their feet.....so NOW I know we will be adding wire to the bottom :)

deejeff442

if you are worried get a guinea they will protect the chicks.we have 3 .i dont have nothing but dirt on the ground.but my coops are big and heavy.they have been back there for almost a year now.

deejeff442

i dont think you offered enough beer and brisket lol. we got 9 eggs and a turkey egg today. my friend took 3 turkey eggs cause i aint trying them . he said they had a harder shell but tasted the same.i get enough hen eggs i dont need to eat the turkeys

meowzer

LOL.....maybe not.......BUT I have something else you could have had....BAHAHAHA
p.s....that sounds bad,.....BUT we know what it is

meowzer

Chickens are soooo dumb......every night so far I have had to go out there after dark...and place them in the nesting area......How long before they learn to go there themselves?????
We have some storms coming tomorrow.....I hope I'm home when they start to make sure they are ok :(

al&burke

My chicken coop is about 10 ft x 20 ft on the outside with a hen house inside the barn, I had a pair of buf orpingtons that would never go into the hen house. Now my 6 Plymouths always go in at night. It just where they feel comfortable, maybe a good storm will get them into the covered area. Just remember meowzer you don't want them sleeping in the nesting boxes and they should have some roosting areas, I just use 2x2 lumber.

meowzer

WELL the COOP is done....it has wire on top....bottom....and extra re-inforced on all sides of the pen....opened the door and the chickens came running out...they seem HAPPY
It will be a couple of weeks, BUT we will be adding additional nesting areas.....so I will update...
BUT...I highly doubt anything can get in there now

reefraff

Watch your nesting boxes for the one critter you can't keep out, snakes. Never had the pleasure myself but my older brother went to grab eggs out of the hayloft where the hens would lay and got bit by a big ol King snake.

deejeff442

thats why we keep guineas with the chickens they will keep snakes out.also if you put golf balls in the nests the snake will eat them and die(something i heard not sure if it works but we have some in there)

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefraff http:///t/395185/my-chickens/20#post_3518760
Watch your nesting boxes for the one critter you can't keep out, snakes. Never had the pleasure myself but my older brother went to grab eggs out of the hayloft where the hens would lay and got bit by a big ol King snake.
LOL....when I first moved here we had some chickens....and I went to reach for an egg w/o looking...and there was a large king snake in the nest...I NEVER went in there again w/o a shovel...or reached in w/o looking....LOL