My clownfish are spawning right now!!

keri

I'm excited like a little kid lol.... I don't plan on raising them, I don't have the space or time or food cultures but it's still pretty freaking cool!
Sorry about the pic quality - of course that section of glass needs to be cleaned but I don't want to disturb them

lmecher

Yeah! you lucky dog, I am very happy for you. This is very exciting woo hoo!
Your fish are stunning

keri

They are nice fish, I've been fortunate that they aren't aggressive at all (to eachother or to my hand in the tank, even with eggs so far) They are quite simmilar in size, the female being just a bit larger and "beefier" I have seen clown couples where the male is 1/3 the size of the female, I wonder why some do that? I was expecting my female to grow a lot quicker than the male.
I don't plan on raising them :( I don't have the time or phyto/rotifer cultures started. I'm not sure what I'm going to do now actually because I had planned on shutting this tank (the 65g) down and putting everything into the 120g!! I don't want to stress them out too much so maybe I'll wait a bit.

keri

Ha!! My windows are SWEATING!! My dehumidifier can't keep up with this!! I need to cut down, the plan was to move the contents of the 65g and 27g into the 120 and just run the 120g and the 8g nano (because I like the nano for growing out softie frags and my murderous crab lives in there because I don't have the heart to stab him!)

keri

Baseboard heaters unfortunately, no furnace. I want to get the fireplace going downstairs, I think burning some wood will help.
I'm also looking into a "Humidex", anyone have any experience with them?

chasar

Congrats. Great pics. My clown laid eggs on Saturday night, very exciting. Transfer the 27 G into the 120 and use the 27 to house the fry. Keep the clowns in the 65 and let nature take its coarse. I think it will be great trying to raise the fry. I have a LFS that will give me live rotifers you could check with yours to see if its an option. Either way it is a very exciting thing to experience. Your fish look great.

keri

Unfortunately my local LFS has like...4 SW tanks, no rotifers, we ferry/drive into the city usually once or twice a month and they might have them there but we just went on Sunday!! Next time I go in I will ask and if it happens again i will try.

brycelowe

I respect that you dont have to time to raise them but I'd love for my clowns to mate. I set up a 5g nano for my dad just so I'd have a place for the savage crab the lfs gave me.(free isn't always good, and bigger isn't always better). good luck with whatever you choose to do.

keri

Today: (Day 6)
The # went down to 31 after the first night and these are them...little boobly eyeballs 'n all!!

....It kinda breaks my heart a little to know they'll get eaten, even if I take them out into another tank I don't have anything (rotifers) to feed them.
I don't suppose there is any chance they will eat anything else?

keri

I think I just might do that.... I tried asking one of the bigger, better LFS's I visit in town but they said they didn't have any, so I guess I'll just have try try asking others.

mboswell1982

from what ive seen keri, the set ups for growing rotifers arent that demanding, if i remember right, ive even seen some where people are growing them in 2 litre coke bottles, so, it cant be all that hard lol

mboswell1982

and another thing u can do is that rock they spawn on? replace it with a tile you can take outta the tank, so its easier to transfer the eggs next time to a brood tank