my first 125 gallon tank

thanks bro! you know what today i went to a LFS that just opened two months ago. They had overflow boxes the same way i put mine together, but instead of the glue they put plastic screws. not a bad idea at all.
Things i need to do rite now, i think is just wait. lol i tested today and ammonia is up a little more from the last time i tested. i think I'm ganna go with leds for my lighting. Have you heard of kessil H350? I really like those but I'm still not 100 percent sure. and also add more rock and i think that's about it so far of what i can think of.

I have also nerowed down my fish list i for sure want Achilles tang, yellow tang, blue tang, black tang and nemo lol. that is my list so far that i 100 percent want, if i can make that work i would be more then happy.
Wow it looks so awsome sumtimes i just sit here and look at it and cant wait to see how its ganna look like with fish and lights on on it.

update
so I have been testing and just last week I did a 5 gallon water change..Which brought my ammonia level down to around 15 ppm.. So we are looking good on my cycle..Super happy I think i will do one more little water change this weekend.. and add some hardy fish.. Cant wait to see little fish swimming all around..

mr. limpid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles Tang http:///t/392916/my-first-125-gallon-tank/40#post_3493274
I have also nerowed down my fish list i for sure want Achilles tang, yellow tang, blue tang, black tang and nemo lol. that is my list so far that i 100 percent want, if i can make that work i would be more then happy.
Wow it looks so awsome sumtimes i just sit here and look at it and cant wait to see how its ganna look like with fish and lights on on it.
I think you have 1 too many tangs and three is pushing it. The Achilles is a big swimmer and needs a lot of water movement, you may want to eliminate this one for sure. Blue tang do you mean a hippo? you really want your ammonia to go down to 0 and what about nitrate and nitrite. These will peak after ammonia what are those readings. You really don't want to add fish until your first cycling is completed. You don't have to add hardy fish first, just add per aggression. The list you have provided is tangs plus clowns, I would add hippo tang first nemo second, black tang and last yellow (they all should be placed about month apart). Please QT all your fish, tangs are ick magnets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpid http:///t/392916/my-first-125-gallon-tank/40#post_3495201
I think you have 1 too many tangs and three is pushing it. The Achilles is a big swimmer and needs a lot of water movement, you may want to eliminate this one for sure. Blue tang do you mean a hippo? you really want your ammonia to go down to 0 and what about nitrate and nitrite. These will peak after ammonia what are those readings. You really don't want to add fish until your first cycling is completed. You don't have to add hardy fish first, just add per aggression. The list you have provided is tangs plus clowns, I would add hippo tang first nemo second, black tang and last yellow (they all should be placed about month apart). Please QT all your fish, tangs are ick magnets.
hey thaks for all the good info.. Yes i do mean a hippo tang. ok so i will hod off and make sure mycycle is over.. But my nitrate nitrite went up and seem to be coming down..And yes ill be QT all my fish..

mr. limpid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles Tang http:///t/392916/my-first-125-gallon-tank/40#post_3495218
hey thaks for all the good info.. Yes i do mean a hippo tang. ok so i will hod off and make sure mycycle is over.. But my nitrate nitrite went up and seem to be coming down. to 0 ? .And yes ill be QT all my fish..
When all are at 0 then you first cycle is complete safe to add fish. Remember, when you add more bio load (new fish) you may have another cycle, (which will go by quickly because you have established bacteria in tank). That is why I say wait a month if you test after adding a fish you could add one quicker. All depends on type of fish and eating pattern of fish.

red tiger

There's a reason why it's called Achilles Tang! I advise against it, seen very few flourish and many die. I only know of one, it is in a 600 tank thats been established since 2002 and the tang introduced about 18 months ago!
But if you must!

OK very nice. I'm ganna be testing this week so ill see what the results look like..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpid http:///t/392916/my-first-125-gallon-tank/40#post_3495222
When all are at 0 then you first cycle is complete safe to add fish. Remember, when you add more bio load (new fish) you may have another cycle, (which will go by quickly because you have established bacteria in tank). That is why I say wait a month if you test after adding a fish you could add one quicker. All depends on type of fish and eating pattern of fish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Tiger http:///t/392916/my-first-125-gallon-tank/40#post_3495244
There's a reason why it's called Achilles Tang! I advise against it, seen very few flourish and many die. I only know of one, it is in a 600 tank that's been established since 2002 and the tang introduced about 18 months ago!
But if you must!
omg i had no idea they needed such a big tank.. But thank you for letting me know..I don't think i will go thru it. Its a very expensive fish and i hate to see it just die..When i very first started my 55 gallon tank. the guy from ***** told me i could have one and it died :( i was very upset so i dont want to relive that..

mr. limpid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles Tang http:///t/392916/my-first-125-gallon-tank/40#post_3495814
omg i had no idea they needed such a big tank.. But thank you for letting me know..I don't think i will go thru it. Its a very expensive fish and i hate to see it just die..When i very first started my 55 gallon tank. the guy from ***** told me i could have one and it died :( i was very upset so i dont want to relive that..
Sorry to hear that, do not trust guys at LFS they can't tell you the truth or they would be fired, its all about the sale. I could never work at a LFS, I would be fired the first day. Best to do your own research then go back and make your purchase. Do not worry you'll miss out on a fish because it will be for sale again very soon. Also be very leery of buying fish at places like *****, notorious for ick infected fish.

spongeycrab

hey this is kinda my list so far for the fish i want. im wondering if this would be ok.
  • bicolor angel
  • annularis angel
  • blue tang
  • black tang
  • purple tang
  • sailfin tangemperor angelpowder blue tangblue fin angelpuffersaddle back butter fly
any help would be great
Ok first thing that needs to go is the Emp. Angel unless you plan to keep it until it gets 6" they're not a good choice. The reason I say 6" is because I believe 6" is where they start becoming adults. Same for the annularis. Also powder blue tangs are prone to ich. Purples are pure EVIL!!!!!! they'll attack lots of fish. Also black tangs cost you $600 atleast so unless you got a lot of money in ya pocket you should just wipe that out of your mind right now. Also the sailfin will be temporary as it needs 180 gallons as a adult. Blue tang also. Specific pufferfish? And if your going for a reef puffers are a terrible idea so are lots of butterflyfish inculding yours sorry. I know I just went to town on your list but it's for your own good.
I recommend some more peaceful fish if it is a reef also a CUC.

S

smallreef

I have to agree...thats a LARGE fish list and even if you get them all as small as possible they will outgrow your tank in less than a year...
quality is better than quantity...if you have so many fish how is anyome nsupposed to see what is your 'prized' fish?
just to give you an idea i had a 150g..and had 5 triggers, all very small but even in the 2 years i had it set up they were out growing it...and that was only 5 fish that could get large..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpid http:///t/392916/my-first-125-gallon-tank/40#post_3495943
Sorry to hear that, do not trust guys at LFS they can't tell you the truth or they would be fired, its all about the sale. I could never work at a LFS, I would be fired the first day. Best to do your own research then go back and make your purchase. Do not worry you'll miss out on a fish because it will be for sale again very soon. Also be very leery of buying fish at places like *****, notorious for ick infected fish.
Thank you Mr. Limpid. All I can say now is that I'm so glad that I found this site. I'm trying to do just that, take everything really slow and triple make sure that I have everything right before I make a purchase..I have not bought any fish from ***** any more I make sure I get it from my LFS the guy there is great.. Even then I make sure to see that fish eat and I know he has been in his that for at least 2 weeks..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongeycrab http:///t/392916/my-first-125-gallon-tank/40#post_3495985
OK first thing that needs to go is the Emp. Angel unless you plan to keep it until it gets 6" they're not a good choice. The reason I say 6" is because I believe 6" is where they start becoming adults. Same for the annularis. Also powder blue tangs are prone to ich. Purples are pure EVIL!!!!!! they'll attack lots of fish. Also black tangs cost you $600 atleast so unless you got a lot of money in ya pocket you should just wipe that out of your mind right now. Also the sailfin will be temporary as it needs 180 gallons as a adult. Blue tang also. Specific pufferfish? And if your going for a reef puffers are a terrible idea so are lots of butterflyfish inculding yours sorry. I know I just went to town on your list but it's for your own good.
I recommend some more peaceful fish if it is a reef also a CUC.
lol as I am reading this I'm going like dam!dam!dam!dam! and more dam! But thank you for taking the time and helping me out I really do appreciate it..$600 for a black tang wow that's alot of mula.. My LFS here sells them for $350 I'm maybe thinking if its possible I would like to do just one. So now i have to rethink my list.. As far as for my CUC i still don't really know what I should go with..Any ideas? thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallreef http:///t/392916/my-first-125-gallon-tank/40#post_3495992
I have to agree...thats a LARGE fish list and even if you get them all as small as possible they will outgrow your tank in less than a year...
quality is better than quantity...if you have so many fish how is anyome nsupposed to see what is your 'prized' fish?
just to give you an idea i had a 150g..and had 5 triggers, all very small but even in the 2 years i had it set up they were out growing it...and that was only 5 fish that could get large..
wow you are very right thank you

mr. limpid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles Tang http:///t/392916/my-first-125-gallon-tank/40#post_3496723
lol as I am reading this I'm going like dam!dam!dam!dam! and more dam! But thank you for taking the time and helping me out I really do appreciate it..$600 for a black tang wow that's alot of mula.. My LFS here sells them for $350 I'm maybe thinking if its possible I would like to do just one. So now i have to rethink my list.. As far as for my CUC i still don't really know what I should go with..Any ideas? thank you
On CUC go with either crabs or snails, don't mix (because the crabs will eat your snails) and it depends on what you want. Just get a mixture of them, some eat algae other ditrus, so if you have a variety they will do the job for you.

luvmyreef

I am actually gonna disagree with that. I really think we need a variety when it comes to cuc. I think that if you provide extra shells for the crabs, they will not kill the snails. Also, do not get too many. I think if sufficient algae is present, it will be fine to mix them. It might depend upon the type as well, say dwarf blue legged vs red, etc. They are nice little rock cleaners lol. But again, I think a variety is the best thing.