My First BioCube!

zoie2

I know you will get like a mini cycle (the tests go up a little and then down) and a lot of people make the mistake of thinking their tank has cycled and they start adding, and then they get a huge spike and wonder what went wrong.
my amonia was off the chart for a while. I tkink my tank took 3 weeks to fully cycle. I did add a cuc after 2 weeks and my levels were a little high, but not dangerous.
hope that helps

bdhb12

Yeah it does I was worried that things were off the chart, got a gravel cleaner from walley world to vacuum my rocks afraid to try it on the agronite sand.
The water level in C3 seems to fluctuate so i moved my chemipure and sat it in C2 right next to the Macro algae and it's touching it is that bad? The chemipure bag is huge i dunno where to put it...

nissan577

no its not bad. nothing is gonna affect the chaeto or macro algae.

one thing is aslong as you do water changes weekly you dont need a skimmer. to me skimmers are useless. take it out and do the water changes weekly.
as for CUC i will add the nass snails, turbo snails both of those for algae. Ceriths for the diatom. and pep shrimp for aptasia. but just one shrimp. no more then one! also the emerald crab would be good but i wouldnt get it if you get snails. they both do the same. as for hermits i really dont like them! ONE they dont eat algae! (well some dont!) TWO they knock down all the frags!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bdhb12

Lol yeah I have taken note of you dislike of hermits! It's everywhere you post!
I want to get a small amount of them but thats cause I have a soft spot for crabs. But, the snails it is!
Should I really remove the skimmer? It's taken quite a bit of brown and black stuff out already and I get alot of tugging both ways (keep it or not) so i'll need more coffe and time to think bout that.
How bout my chemipure next to the macro bad? god? Dunno?
need pic?
How do the hermits get to your frags? Can they climb the crates? Or can you elevate them more?

nissan577

Originally Posted by Bdhb12
http:///forum/post/2945861
Lol yeah I have taken note of you dislike of hermits! It's everywhere you post!
I want to get a small amount of them but thats cause I have a soft spot for crabs. But, the snails it is!
Yea i know. i really hate them alot! and gooooooo snails!
Should I really remove the skimmer? It's taken quite a bit of brown and black stuff out already and I get alot of tugging both ways (keep it or not) so i'll need more coffe and time to think bout that.
IMO take the skimmer out. worthless. just do water changes weekly 5g and you are perfect!
How bout my chemipure next to the macro bad? god? Dunno?
need pic?
not bad at all. won't harm it.
How do the hermits get to your frags? Can they climb the crates? Or can you elevate them more?

they climb there butts up there
and i dont have crates no more. and they did when i had them.
answer in red!

bdhb12

lol Most complete answer ever! Thanks!

But yeah for CUC i'm going with those snails what kindof numbers should I look at 3 of each and then 2 emeralds 1 Peppermint @ 3 of blue and red hermits?

everest

I would maximize the snails, and minimize the hermits, just because they can be murderous lol. what size is your tank? i think the rule of thumb is like 1 snail per 2 gallons or something like that..

bdhb12

it's a 29g Biocube i've done some re-arranging and when i clean off the rocks a bit more i'll post pics

bdhb12

ATM two clowns and a firefish, as you can see I have a deep sand bed cause I want a goby or something like it but i'm not to sure whats all compatible just yet.
I know I want to do corals and would like an anemone for my clowns but right now i'm just learning the cycle and CUC. but you all have been quite helpful!

nycbob

if u want get a shrimp, get the skunk or fire shrimp. dont get the coral banded, bc they r very mean. ur tank looks good btw.

nissan577

yea CBS are known to pick on slow fish. fire or skunk or cleaner or pep shrimp are good.
as for corals you can do w.e you want except SPS. everything else is find. but learn first the cycle then your CUC. and always add a new fish every 2 weeks like that your ammonia wont spike. have you check your paramters

bdhb12

More Pics!
moved them down
Oh and Nissan yesterdays Perams are up there ^ somewhere, Testing again on Sunday! And Peppermint it is! I kinda liked them anyway.

everest

i saw you in my other thread, and i was wondering if you could post a pic of your back chambers?
thanks

bdhb12

Originally Posted by Everest
http:///forum/post/2946423
i saw you in my other thread, and i was wondering if you could post a pic of your back chambers?
thanks
Ok will do also go to my photobucket link up there it shows all my pics
Yeah Peps are sweet and not to be weird but I re-did the rocks again last time I swear!

nissan577

nope! once you get corals you will be moving all the rocks around! so dont think its gonna stay like that!

bdhb12

My parameters today...
PH-7.8
Ammonia-8+ppm
Nitrate-10ppm
Nitrite-5+ppm
SG-1.025
Just did a water change yesterday. My ph dropped and ammonia and trite are still high. Should I keep SG at 1.025 or a lil higher?