my first tank for saltwater want any pointers and or help on how to's please

coopejam000

Ive set up my tank which was running for bout 3 months prior before any fish was added. 24 lbs of live rock bout 15lbs of live sand for substrate. I've got 2 oscilaris clown fish, a domino damsel, a coral beauty angelfish, 4 hermit crabs, and a bubble tip anemone, i just did a 25% water change, but the tank sits at this as of right now sal. is 1.022, pH is 8.4, ammonia is at 1.5 ppm, nitrite is 0, nitrate is at 40, which is why i just did water change, and the ammonia i used some of the ammonia treater so that should go down. i am using a 50 gal marine-land penguin 200 bio wheel for filtration on order is a protein skimmer in mail,a propeller type water circ pump, a 200 watt hydor heater, water is always at 82 degrees. was just looking for comments or heads up on some stuff that would be nice, also have a 70 watt metal halide on delivery. will post pictures pending i can figure this forum out. ANY INFO GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!! Thanks

meowzer

What size tank is it? First...can you get a straight shot? then get rid of the plastic plants....they do not belong in SW tanks.....I would get rid of the damsel....they eat people (LOL...at least mine tried to eat me)
Where is the anemone? The tank is really too new for one.....you also need much more cuc (clean up crew) snails!!
P.S. WELCOME TO SWF

coopejam000

its a 30 gal and the plants are only in there cause that's the way the tank was setup the fiance thinks it needed more color lmao. the anemone is hiding by the purple rock in the middle of the tank. and far as snails i was told to stay away from them and get hermit crabs, due to the snails are slower at cleaning idk. like i said I'm new to this but its a fun experience tho!! :) and my damsel doesn't eat people she just zips around the tank alot.

J

jstdv8

Wait a minute... how is it that you have 1.5 ammonia and those fish arent dead? Where is the ammonia coming from?
How big is the tank and how hany fish do you have in there?

coopejam000

idk the test says 1.5 ppm no clue where that stuff is coming from the levels are down alot farther since i used that ammonia nuetralizer and there are only 4 fish 1 anenome and 4 hermit crabs. also will that anenome eat the marine fish pellets or are they only for a brine diet? any help there is appreciated :)

teresaq

did you add al the fish at once. You are going to have to get that ammonia down to zero. Start doing small 10 gal water changes every day, everyother day.
What is your filteration?? hob filter, Canister????? Do you have any powerheads???

coopejam000

no i didnt add all the fish at once. i did a 3 gal water change yesterday and the all the levels went down. and right now all i have is a marineland bio wheel and i am having a protein skimmer delivered do i need to get another filter??

meowzer

What size filter? You really need to do a larger water change to get the levels down...and as much as th g/f may like them the plants are not good for the tank...they will just collect junk
Pellets for food stinks....they need frozen foods like mysis, marine cuisine and emerald entree....as does the anemone.... NO anemone will eat pellets...That does not look like a bubble tip....what color is the base of it? I think it is bleached from poor lighting too.....and bad water quality
whoever told you snails are worthless and hermits are better is nuts...LOL....you need snails, they may be slow, but they do a heck of a job.....look for some nassarius, cerith and astrea to start

J

jstdv8

I agree with everything posted in Meos post. Probably not what you want to hear, but its the truth.

gemmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///forum/thread/383379/my-first-tank-for-saltwater-want-any-pointers-and-or-help-on-how-to-s-please#post_3352855
What size filter? You really need to do a larger water change to get the levels down...and as much as th g/f may like them the plants are not good for the tank...they will just collect junk
Pellets for food stinks....they need frozen foods like mysis, marine cuisine and emerald entree....as does the anemone.... NO anemone will eat pellets...That does not look like a bubble tip....what color is the base of it? I think it is bleached from poor lighting too.....and bad water quality
whoever told you snails are worthless and hermits are better is nuts...LOL....you need snails, they may be slow, but they do a heck of a job.....look for some nassarius, cerith and astrea to start
+1 (BUT I had a condy nem that would eat formula one pellets on occasion).

coopejam000

this filter is for a 50 gal tank, and the base of the anemone is pink. but thankyou for the snails advice and and the mysis food tip. any more tips grteatly appreciated!!

dutchswan

You should change your poll to say:
Will my anemone survive?
1. Yes
2. No
3. Not a snowball's chance in hades.
I vote #3
You have added an animal that is not the easiest to keep alive and:
1. You don't have sufficient filtration (skimmer is on order)
2. You don't have sufficient light (MH is on order)
3. You don't have stable water quality.
4. You may not have enough LR??? (This one might be debatable, but more would be better)

coopejam000

light is in tomorrow skimmer is on trying to break it in right now. and for a 35 gal tank how much rock should i have? and whats the best way to get the water quality stable?

oceandude

In addition to water changes, I might also use a bit of 'Prime'. Won't hurt. You need salinity at around 1.025 to 1.026 for many inverts to do well. The anemone appears to be a Condi and you probably will not see the clown you have host it. Donate the damsel as it will become very aggressive especially in a tank of that size.
Great job on your pH. ;) Please keep us posted. Thanks.

ecooper

Well, it's getting better (with the light and skimmer), but unfortunately, you still have too many fish in that tank. I'm not a fan of hex since there's not much sand and not much swim room (and still not much rock). That would be a good tank for just the clowns, but the CB needs something bigger. Are the bubbles coming from the skimmer? If so, it needs some adjustment. Good luck.

meowzer

Hey...I hate to say this, BUT I AGREE...the coral beauty really needs a bigger tank....get rid of it and the killer damsel.....keepthe 2 clowns and get some type of goby

coopejam000

im getting a 45 gal soon because ive realized the tank is hard to work with for rock and fish. and the skimmer is adjusted its just not broke in yet. :( i hope it breaks in soon!! and the damsil hasnt had any problems with any of the other fish at all so is that fine? or will that change eventually?

btldreef

The damsel will get aggressive as it grows, trust us.
Hexagons are very tough to deal with, and I'd never recommend one for use in a reef, but it's what you have right now and it is manageable. I give you tons of Kudos for taking everyone's advice so well.
Best of luck to you.