my fish keep dying

Great I thought maybe something bad was ganna happen I already did learn my lesson. I will never do that again. Im ganna do a test today after work, ill post the results.

So just to make sure when I do a water change, syffen out my sand bed Take out 10 gallons of water. Mix my salt with Ro water and let is sit the night before my water change. DO NOT add anything to the RO water before I add it to my tank. So now my salt is ready, add it to my tank and do a test the next day. If there is anything wrong you guys see please do let me know

I also forgot to add to my last post. When I do my water change I also rinse out my protine skimmer cup out. I was doing it with tap water but I think with all I learned here maybe I should be doing that with RO water, rite? also I rinse out than cloth in my sump.

red tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles Tang http:///t/389057/my-fish-keep-dying/80#post_3440044
I also forgot to add to my last post. When I do my water change I also rinse out my protine skimmer cup out. I was doing it with tap water but I think with all I learned here maybe I should be doing that with RO water, rite? also I rinse out than cloth in my sump.
I would rinse the cup with water that you siphoned out from your main tank, it won't do much anyway but can keep anything from entering your system.
I had the same situation happen to my 50 gallon. What i did, I took my few fish and placed them in my Quarantine Tanks, separately.
I ran my 50 with LR and LS as normal using Kordon Ich Reef safe for a month straight. Also i threw my hydrometer, and bought a refractometer, found out my specific gravity was 1.012!!!!!!! After medicating did 50% Water change, and ran Act Carbon filters for a week. Started to introduce fish one at a time, 3-4 days apart and now they have been good.
I'm sorry didn't read all post, way to many! But it's good feedback!
Hope all is well!

oceandude

I apologize...did you use that sea water collected from dude? Or did you get RODI Salt water? If the you got RODI saltwater, or just RODI and mixed with salt, you will be OK. I honestly wish you would get a refractometer, (they are not expensive), and your results will be accurate...but before doing any more changing or adding water...please use the refractometer to ensure Specific Gravity...you might be shocked.
Another thing...the 'Chain' you mentioned traditionally does not have healthy fishes for the most part for several reasons...the Mgt will not let them do but so much...the water they use is not RO let alone DI, and I believe it's simply purchased from Culligan Water. (or at least here that's the case)...also most of those who are working in the aquatic section are not up to par on the correct way for fish husbandry with the exception of a friend of mine who was in charge of the area and him being a Marine Biologist which helped. But certainly not the norm, just the exception...and testing your water with 'strips'...OMG man, come one...HUGE RED FLAG. Please do yourself a favor and buy at the least a simple basic test kit. API is eh...but better than what they did for you.
Good luck, and please keep us updated. I'm sure several would like to get you on the right track with a nice heathy system.

reeferchief

Hey achilles how's everything turning out? Did you ever test the ocean water you were getting? My ocean water is from about 6-10 miles offshore with a pick up hose abuot 20' below the surface. Water is much better farther out. Anyhow instead of damsels get a few chromis to start out with. They are cheap, pretty hardy, and will be great tank mates to any other fish.
Good luck! Hope to see you get on the righteous path again!!!!

morgan175

I saw no where when mixing saltwater to use a powerhead to circulate the water. Should get a refractometer and a tds meter to make sure ro water is reading 0 my two cents but I'm not as good as the others here.

I got RODI FRESH water and I added my own salt. I will be getting a refractometer the only reason I didn't get one was cuz on the book I read it said don't buy that unless your ganna open up a fish store that's why I didn't bother. I actually do not have dose test trips I have the marine lab test kit, I think that's the name.

Hey achilles how's everything turning out?   Did you ever test the ocean water you were getting? My ocean water is from about 6-10 miles offshore with a pick up hose abuot 20' below the surface. Water is much better farther out. Anyhow instead of damsels get a few chromis to start out with. They are cheap, pretty hardy, and will be great tank mates to any other fish.
Good luck! Hope to see you get on the righteous path again!!!!
So far I think I'm making great progress I have two power head going total amount of 2,650 gallons per hour. I am starting to use RODI and mixing my own salt. I did not test the dudes water yet I order a refractometer and a TDS reader so when that comes in I will buy sum just for the heck of it to test it. I'll also find out were dude gets his water from. By the way I just want to throw this out there, I LOVE THIS SITE!!!!!! And thanks for giving some good fish to try out.

Buffer should be used for raising Alkalinity, not PH IMHO.
Darn well that's what the guy told me to use. But thank you for letting me know so what should I use to raise my ph?