my fish keep dying

oceandude

Why 'burn up' a perfectly good fish when other methods are available...then keep a log on water parameters to ensure quality...I think the proverbial canary in the coal mine is uncool...just my two cents worth, which really doesn't mean much. I just believe in true fish husbandry.

reeferchief

Yea, agreed, chromis are "supposed" to be hardy. I think for what he is doing the chromis will work our good. I have been following this thread and after all he has done and re-cycling etc, etc. He is ready for fish pending another water test before he buys. If all test go well, chromis would be an ideal fish due to them being cheap and good tank mates for future fish. He could do a damsel but they are such napoleon syndrome fish.lol (little guys with big ego's) I would not want him to waste the life of the fish and would in no way suggest that but after all he's done, like I said, he should be ready for livestock now! Sorry for the confusion but didn't want you to think I am suggesting a fish, just to "test" it out if it would live or not..

Ok I'm excited already I can't wait to see some fish in there swimming. I really like cardinals do u guys think I should try a few of those insted of the clowns. I do like the clowns but I want to put some thing els in there before I put the clowns. I don't want the clowns to get establish and then pick at new comers.

reeferchief

PJ Cardinals are also very hardy. Chromis are a schooling fish, best to buy a few of them. You can add these at anytime though. I had 5 2 died got another 3 and I still have 6. They're cheap so I grab a few when I get water.
Good luck man. I'm hoping for success!!!!

oceandude

I wish you the best...Why not tackle the root of the problem versus experimenting with 'hardy' fishes? ...I'm out of this thread...Seriously would like to know exact parameters. Regardless of cost of fishes...fish less cycle is easy, or even if one is simply 'testing' the water.
Don't care if it a Chromis or Mccullochi clownfish...life of critter IS an issue to serious hobbyist. Seriously?

I wish you the best...Why not tackle the root of the problem versus experimenting with 'hardy' fishes? ...I'm out of this thread...Seriously would like to know exact parameters. Regardless of cost of fishes...fish less cycle is easy, or even if one is simply 'testing' the water.

Don't care if it a Chromis or Mccullochi clownfish...life of critter IS an issue to serious hobbyist. Seriously?

So let me ask you this what would you do rite now I still haven't added anything. You know I'm not trying to kill a fish I'm doing my best to have the healthiest aquarium for my fish. I love fish I wouldn't want to kill one just because. I will test my water a soon as I get home from work today and let you know. I hope you don't think I'm just doing this to do this I'm trying really hard and have been sitting next to my tank trying to read post after post from everyone at SWF to obtain all of the great knowledge.

oceandude

I humbly apologize...it really was not meant to be a slam toward you. I'm truly sorry. I just went off on a rant when I saw people giving opinions on using whatever fish being hardy...when I see, Damsel, Chromis, Clown...well, fact is; they are all three members of Damsel family and it honestly...collectively hit a chord in me for my rant...again, please accept my apology, I know you are doing the best you can do. I should have just stayed out of your thread...I just wanted to help...just seems as there are a few whom like to have a 'measuring' contest...I don't profess to be a know it all and I'm not...I just like to help and pass info from my errors to afford others not to make the same mistakes because it hurts many of us in this arena to see loss of critters...some it doesn't bother and I really have no use for that way of thinking.

sweatervest13

Good luck with the new fish. I have kept up on this thread but I don't remember the whole thing. LOL... This tank has gone through an initial cycle right? Then you had fish that would live in the tank but any new additions would not make it. Now after you went fish less you are trying to add new fish? I say as long as your parameters are good, it is okay to add your first new fish. I think that Oceandude got confused and thought you were cycling the tank with fish. I can see how a person could get upset thinking that someone was doing this. Looks just like a small amount of confusion. LOL. Better to say something and be wrong and then apologize, then not to say anything at all and let a poor fish suffer.

Ocean dude no worries bro its very understandable no hard telling. You helped me and for that I am great full. Also stick around don't go no were so you can hear all about how it gose with the new fish.

Good luck with the new fish.  I have kept up on this thread but I don't remember the whole thing. LOL...  This tank has gone through an initial cycle right?  Then you had fish that would live in the tank but any new additions would not make it.  Now after you went fish less you are trying to add new fish?  I say as long as your parameters are good, it is okay to add your first new fish.  I think that Oceandude got confused and thought you were cycling the tank with fish.  I can see how a person could get upset thinking that someone was doing this.  Looks just like a small amount of confusion.  LOL.  Better to say something and be wrong and then apologize, then not to say anything at all and let a poor fish suffer. 
Yes my tank has all ready been cycle. Now I am trying to add new fish. My tank has been fish fishless for a month and during this month I have changed from tap to RODI water. My parameters have all been testing good and I think I'm ready to add a new fish.

oceandude

Awesome to hear the switch from 'tap' to RODI...bet things really shape up. Very glad to hear...if you were in my area I would be the first to offer some fishes from my tanks. ;)

Awesome to hear the switch from 'tap' to RODI...bet things really shape up. Very glad to hear...if you were in my area I would be the first to offer some fishes from my tanks. ;)
Yeah things are really looking great. Even my Mushrums look a lot happier and that's make me feel really good. Thanks bro I wish u were here too I feel like I'm the only one that's into this hobby around here. I'm ALL ALONE!