My Giant Maxima is SICK :(

btldreef

BlueBro, can you use normal font sizes? It's really quite annoying.
Also, this really isn't a funny situation. Meowzer paid a lot of money for a very nice Maxima clam specimen and it's not doing well right now, not exactly the best time to be joking around. I'm sure your "cousin" Burrito has informed you that we really don't tolerate blatant disrespect, ignorance, etc. on this forum. If you really don't have anything informative to say, it's probably better that you just don't say anything at all. You're supposedly here to learn about saltwater tanks, so how about spending your time reading through the NEW HOBBYIST section and learning something.

bluebro

Im doing a research project on clown fish for burrito. Sorry for the big font sizes. And, my bad if you thought it was a joke. I know that when something is sick you treat it with care, and make sure it doesn't die, and nurse it. Just like a mom would do if you were sick. But, in a fishes way it's a bit harder.

gill again68

Look at the blue section in that link that says Disease - Disease Like Symptoms or you can scroll down the page until you see the HOLE IN MANTLE section.
Of course everything that BTLDreef said is exactly what you need to do but it goes into some detail.

spanko

IMO clam will not make it. Sorry Lois. I believe once they start to deteriorate like yours has probably not much can be done. Sounds like the fish are finding some easy food and have not helped with any possibility of survival.

meowzer

Thanks guys for the help.....It looks really bad this morning....I doubt it can come back..... :(
It's just weird that It was perfect one minute.....and then KABOOM....I wonder if something fell in it...like a snail or a crab??????
When I saw it this morning, I decided to take it out....it was unresponsive, and when I touched it, it was releasing something

I will not chance poisoning this tank, or another.......There ws NO retraction at all......

I think I will just stick with my beautiful Crocea in the 225G....and the gold maxima that is doing WONDERFUL in the 29G

btldreef

I can't believe that they're leaving the Crocea alone...
it sounds like it's done for. That stinks. I'm so sorry Meowzer!

scott t

I am so sorry To hear that Meowzer =( Well on a good Note Meowzer the package that I sent to you has left Rochester so it is on it way to you...

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLDreef http:///forum/thread/382389/my-giant-maxima-is-sick/20#post_3337199
I can't believe that they're leaving the Crocea alone...
it sounds like it's done for. That stinks. I'm so sorry Meowzer!
:( Sure does.....stinks big time
I never saw anything go near the maxima till yesterday evening.....If you think about it, a healthy clam will close when bothered....right???
I am thinking something happened after I went out yesterday morning.....and then the fish saw a distressed clam......Funny thing is the yellow was the one bothering it....oh the sf went over here and there, the blue stayed away, and I saw the flame swim by, but never touched it.
AGAIN....I am going with trauma....my scenario is this....we left a beautiful healthy clam and went out....sometime shortly after a hermit crab fell in. Trying to climb out, it scrated the clams mantle causing trauma......the fish saw this and took advantage......therefore by the time we got home, said clam....was already pretty traumatized by the whole experience..
That's my story and I'm sticking to it

I know it's not funny, but what am I gonna do ....cry
I'm just gonna stick with the crocea in the 225 and the gold in the 29g

gill again68

Sorry Lois, I think I sent you another post before I got to this. That just sucks. You got me watching my SF and CB like a hawk.

gemmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///forum/thread/382389/my-giant-maxima-is-sick/20#post_3337329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemmy
http:///forum/thread/382389/my-giant-maxima-is-sick/20#post_3337324
I'm sorry to hear about the clam.
Thanks....The place I got it from only offers a 7 day gaurantee, BUT I decided to send them a message anyway.....We shall see what type of response I get..LOL
Tell them you noticed worms or some parasite on it, but that you gave them the benefit of the doubt since the clam was retracting and responding to movement.

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemmy http:///forum/thread/382389/my-giant-maxima-is-sick/20#post_3337353
Tell them you noticed worms or some parasite on it, but that you gave them the benefit of the doubt since the clam was retracting and responding to movement.
NAH....I just told them the truth....that it developed what looked like hole in the mantle, and didn't make it....
I sent the one pic from yesterday, and told them I had to discard of the clam.......you are probably not supposed to do that, but I wasn't gonna wait for it to start stinkin.....it was BIG, and I bet would have gotten pretty nasty and quick YUCK
sometimes we lose things......comes with the hobby :(