My Long Term Reef Build Diary!

rlablan

nissan-- you're nuts. Everyone on here hates damsels!! People say stuff like "my damsel chases things like my angels!! (they will take down fish bigger than them!!) lol peaceful indeed.

markw

Ive heard of damsels being mean, but ive never heard of a school of chromis being mean. (I know, theyre damsels, but ive heard the least trouble out of these guys.) Are you referring to the Bangaii cardinal as a 'regular' cardinal? I will be keeping ocellaris also. Havent decided on black or orange yet, though. If I got rid of the chromis on my list, what could I replace them with?
I know chromis are damsels, and people have trouble with damsels, but has anyone here had any trouble with agression from green chromis in particular?
Mark

big

Here is a good replacement fish. Some have issues with just a pair, get at least three of them... Really pretty little fish without much additional Bio-load........Here are shots of mine. Sorry they seem to be hard little guys to get real good shots of???? Warren
Purple Firefish!

nissan577

Originally Posted by big
http:///forum/post/3112420
Nissan, what are you referring to? " peaceful Damsels"
Have I missed something here in the translation.??????
i meant to put chromis!

Originally Posted by rlablan

http:///forum/post/3112810
nissan-- you're nuts. Everyone on here hates damsels!! People say stuff like "my damsel chases things like my angels!! (they will take down fish bigger than them!!) lol peaceful indeed.
LMAO! i meant to put chromis!

markw

3x purple firefish would replace the chromis? I love the look of them! Do they school? Thats not too important to me, but out of curiosity.
Mark

big

Originally Posted by Markw
http:///forum/post/3113112
3x purple firefish would replace the chromis? I love the look of them! Do they school? Thats not too important to me, but out of curiosity.
Mark
Not as apt as are chromis to school,Most all them I think are strictly schooling fish but still a member of the Damselfish clan........Just not as "skitzo" as many Damsels are. .
Just was thinking of a choice in a real pretty small guy for the tank.

rlablan

You can get the chromis if you want. This is my opinion, it's just what I would do.
If I wanted something in my tank that looked like a chromis, I would have kept a freshwater tank, and saved myself about $7000.
Also, I have still heard people on this site say they have had trouble with them, or that they don't like them but can't get them out of the tank.
Those two things added together is why I WOULDN'T GET THEM.... lol... But that's me.
Get what you want and what makes you happy. After all, it is YOUR tank.

(I would rather the fire fish, They come in a few different colors too, so I would make a rainbow of them).

markw

I do have a saltwater tank. 4 of them. I didnt necessarily want something looking like a chromi, but I didnt know what else to fill the void with and I thought that a schooling fish would be nice. Busy day. Ill be back in a bit.
Mark

nissan577

http:///forum/post/3113217
You can get the chromis if you want. This is my opinion, it's just what I would do.
your just scared!
If I wanted something in my tank that looked like a chromis, I would have kept a freshwater tank, and saved myself about $7000.
no! freshwater fish arent as cool as a school of schooling chromis
Also, I have still heard people on this site say they have had trouble with them, or that they don't like them but can't get them out of the tank.
wrong they got scared chromis!
Those two things added together is why I WOULDN'T GET THEM.... lol... But that's me.
no your just scared!

Get what you want and what makes you happy. After all, it is YOUR tank.

(I would rather the fire fish, They come in a few different colors too, so I would make a rainbow of them).Chicken!
WRONG!

king_neptune

My .02:
• (3x) Emerald Crab-- Try 2 instead. If they get hungry they turn mean.
• (5-10x) Scarlet Hermit-- go lower on this. 5
• (20x) Turbo/Astrea Snail-- Over kill. 10x
• (10-20x) Nassarius snail-- 10x
• Sally Lightfoot Crab-- Good choice.
• (3x) Feather Duster-- no comment, I know little
• Lettuce Nudibranch-- Dont risk it, they are suckers for drain lines.
• Cleaner Shrimp-- wait 6months, and try 2
• Peppermint Shrimp-- 4 would probably be ideal,hit/miss but you might get Aptasia eaters
• Red Frilly Sponge-- I know nothing about these
• Fire Shrimp-- I know nothing about these.
My overall reasoning is you don't want a massive CUC, they will starve themselves, and turn hostile. Either way you end up creating more waste when they die/kill.

rlablan

Nissan- I am not chicken. I just don't feel like taking risks with my 10,000+ investment. Or with the healthy of my other fish for that matter. In the ocean, that's one thing to have fish like damsels. The earth os 80% water, and fish can go anywhere they need to get away from things like damsels. I only have a see-through cube for them and no matter how big, they will always be around. If there is a chance for them to bully my fish and cause fights, I wouldn't put them in my tank. No $4.50 fish is going to bully my better saltwater fish that cost $30+.

big

http:///forum/post/3113693
BIG- Do I spot bubble algae in the background of the last picture you posted?? hehe

Humm, does look like that in that shot doesn't it.....
What is it with you gals, can't us guys do anything right??

Have had a few over the years after accidentally busting a big one one time. But I have Emeralds in there too..........
Don't see any now days. Here is a more recent shot from that area.......Center valley in the tank, that is where the Purples hang out when not hiding from the camera......Notice that lack of fish in my shots..... They are in there somewhere..........

rlablan

You have a gorgeous tank BIG!! I absolutely love it. What size, what setup? I aspire to have my little frags grow into that!
There is something for you to work towards mark!!! lol

big

http:///forum/post/3114233
You have a gorgeous tank BIG!! I absolutely love it. What size, what setup? I aspire to have my little frags grow into that!
There is something for you to work towards mark!!! lol
Thanks. It is a 72 bow, so it is right at the size of what Mark has to work with.
Almost every coral in that tank was started from single head frags too. The Monti in the top right started from a piece no larger than a dime. It is a good bit bigger than that now, 5 or 6 layers. Even the Zoas in the upper left all started from a little 19 dollar tonga branch......I like watching the changes over time as a tank matures.
Did not mean to jump too hard on his Diary thread..sorry Mark.............

markw

Back from the beach trip.
BIG- No problem. Its giving me inspiration

Neptune- I originally thought I had the tank a little heavily stocked, so with a big CUC, it would be more sustainable.
Nissan- Am I catchin a hint of sarcasm in your posts about the chromis?
Mark

nissan577

Originally Posted by Markw
http:///forum/post/3115833
Back from the beach trip.
BIG- No problem. Its giving me inspiration

Neptune- I originally thought I had the tank a little heavily stocked, so with a big CUC, it would be more sustainable.
Nissan- Am I catchin a hint of sarcasm in your posts about the chromis?
Mark
sorry that was for rlablan. dont worry. so hows everything bro? what are your final descision on fish?

rlablan

You know mark... I wouldn't pay too much attention to what nissan says.

You went on a beach trip?!?
:jealous: