My Long Term Reef Build Diary!

meowzer

They are food for everyone...yes, good to have...they should come naturally with your live rock, although you can also buy some and seed them

markw

I think I will get some. Even if the LR does bring them, if they are beneficial, having more couldnt hurt I guess. How long should the tank be up before I add them or does it matter? If they come in with the LR, I cant see why it should be up for a while as the LR is generally the first thing added.
Mark

meowzer

IDK how old the tank needs to be....Just wait...you will start to see itty bitty specks on your glass that move like fleas....those are copepods...

markw

They live on the rocks too, right? If not, I dont see how they would live with the constant glass cleaning.
Mark

meowzer

Originally Posted by Markw
http:///forum/post/3119959
They live on the rocks too, right? If not, I dont see how they would live with the constant glass cleaning.
Mark
They live everywhere....I even have some living in my magnet
believe me .. they survive the glass cleaning

markw

Is there any way either of these would work:
• (2x) Green Chromis
• (2x) Pajama Cardinal
• (2x) Firefish
• bicolor Blenny
• Yellow Watchman Goby w/Tiger Pistol Shrimp
• Yellow tang
• Pair of Clowns
OR

• (2x) Bengaii Cardinal
• (2x) Pajama Cardinal
• (2x) Firefish
• bicolor Blenny
• Yellow tang
• Pair of Clowns
OR

• Canary Blenny
• (2x) Pajama Cardinal
• (2x) Firefish
• bicolor Blenny
• Yellow tang
• Pair of Clowns
or are they all too heavily stocked? I didnt know about the two blennies in one tank, but it is a bigger tank and I thought it would be okay. Feel free to offer any other combination of the fish as you see fit also. Im always open to suggestions

Mark

moondog

Mark,
Just saw that you are from Marlyand, what area? I am in Southern Maryland, maybe someday we can swap some frags, equipment, etc.
Chris

markw

Im in Baltimore. The halethorpe area. That would be cool. But keep in mind its going to be quite a while before I have any frags from my own tank. You could follow the thread, though.
I will definately et in touch when I do get some frags.
Mark

moondog

I am about an hour from Baltimore, in Chesapeake Beach, I used to hang out in the city alot though. I started with a 75 gallon about a year and a half ago, and upgraded to my 150 gallon once I was able to get rid of all my freshwater fish. The 150 has been up for about 6 months now, still trying to figure out the whole reef tank, I can keep corals alive and see growth, but I assume to see much more, I will need more light.
I am on for the build, it is great info to read through these builds and see what works, and what does not. Just finished building my own 20 gallon sump for my new MSX skimmer, I was suprised, it was not that hard. Good luck with the build, not a bad idea to take it slow.

melypr1985

Hey Mark I just found your thread! Great stuff! I do have one question though.... I thought it wasn't a good idea to keep more than one of the same color firefish together. I've seen them fight, jump and generally kill each other. Maybe your tank is big enough to do it. hmm. Has anybody else experienced this?

markw

Thanks. Thats the same thing I was thinking with the lighting. With the 8x54W fixture with the 4 lunars, Im sure I can keep most anything I would want in this tank. I have a 55 now with 4 axolotls in it, and im trying to get a 75 with an overflow for the reef. I want to get all the equipment list down first before I buy anything. Thats why I posted so early. I want to do everything right in the beginning so I dont have to worry about it when I put it up.
Mark

markw

Originally Posted by melypr1985
http:///forum/post/3121024
Hey Mark I just found your thread! Great stuff! I do have one question though.... I thought it wasn't a good idea to keep more than one of the same color firefish together. I've seen them fight, jump and generally kill each other. Maybe your tank is big enough to do it. hmm. Has anybody else experienced this?
That was what the stocklist questions above were about, kind of. Big suggested it when I asked about schooling fish, so Im guessing the purples are okay to keep together. I also read in The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Robert Fenner that if you kept the 'regular' firefish together, it is better to keep them as a pair anyhow. We will see.
Mark

moondog

I have the Nova Extreme 4x54 with 4 lunars. Great fixture, but do not smack it against the wall, mine only has 3 working bulbs now, I am not sure if it is the endcaps, or the ballast, but it is not the bulb. I think they have Nova Extreme, SLR's now, which has Single Light Refelectors. From what I understand, it increses the output or PAR, and it is not as pricey as the Nova Extreme Pro. Now that I have the 150 Gallon, extra tall, I wish I had the 8x54 fixture, then I would be good to go with my corals.

markw

Bump for the stocklists above. I would also like to add that a green clown goby could be added to the possibilities. I love these little guys. Its looking as if I only have half the stocklist down.
Thanks.
Mark

markw

Ok, one more price update. After more shopping, I bumped up to the ASM G-2 skimmer and the final total including refractometer, RODI system, powerheads, and salt is $960. Getting the tank this weekend for $150, hopefully. It is a 75g with a drilled corner overflow. Comes with all the plumbing, stand, lid, and CF light. Cant wait to go pick it up.
Mark

rlablan

Hi mark, glad to see you're back!
Moondog- I would like to point out that the fixture that mark has picked, the nova extreme does have individual reflectors. I have the smaller version of his but with out the lunars,
Mark you are right, you can keep whatever you want easily. Even an anemone with that type of output. Are you going with the 4 bulb fixture? I figured you would go with one of the nova extremes with the 6 bulb. I had that and it gives out much more evenly saturated light output. lights up every nook and cranny of the tank.
I don't know much about your stock list but what I have seen is people saying they can buy firefish already paired. They might mate but they probably won't survive. but that way, there will be no fighting and they will stay together and "school".

markw

Originally Posted by rlablan
http:///forum/post/3121292
Hi mark, glad to see you're back!
Moondog- I would like to point out that the fixture that mark has picked, the nova extreme does have individual reflectors. I have the smaller version of his but with out the lunars,
Mark you are right, you can keep whatever you want easily. Even an anemone with that type of output. Are you going with the 4 bulb fixture?
Im going with the 8 bulb with 4 lunars. It has 4x10,000K lights, 4x460nm actinics and 4x white Lunars
I figured you would go with one of the nova extremes with the 6 bulb. I had that and it gives out much more evenly saturated light output. lights up every nook and cranny of the tank.
Do you prefer this over the 8 bulb? If so, why?
I don't know much about your stock list but what I have seen is people saying they can buy firefish already paired. They might mate but they probably won't survive. but that way, there will be no fighting and they will stay together and "school".
Thats what I was thinking about doing, its also why I didnt specify what type of firefish. Sounds good to me.
Any help with the stocklist is still appreciated.
Mark

rlablan

Mark,
I did prefer the 6 bulb for my little 45 gal guy. I didn't need the 8 bulbs. I think you will do well with the 8 bulb fixture. I must have misunderstood what you said about the x4 daylight and x4 actinic. I thought you said only x4 once and thought you were going with a 4 bulb fixture. If my new tank weren't so deep, I would go with the same fixture you are getting. unfortunately, if I spent money on it, it would have little effect on my tank. It's simply isn't strong enough.
I absolutely loved my nova extreme pro and I think you'll be happy with it. I saw great color results with all of my colors, especially with the softies... which are by far the best coral to keep, IMO.
Hopefully someone will help you out with your stock list. My knowlegde very limited and it's def. limited on stocking fish.

big

OK Mark, you are looking for more suggestions on that stocking list..........I am throwing you a curve ball.......
One that is not there that over the years I have found to be the fish I seem to love the most to watch......Butt ugly just does not matter when it comes to these guys.............