my new 130 gal

I managed to catch two more of the damsels and just bought myself a set of T-5 x 4 lights for my tank. I shoukd have more then enough light for what i want to do with this tank.
I am looking get a few copper banded butterfly fish and probally a pair of clowns. First i ahve 2 damsels and one coral banded shrimp to catch.

lexluethar

I would spot feed them with raw shrimp pieces and silversides. Make sure none of the pieces are any bigger than its mouth. I would also use something to make sure the anemone gets ahold of the food, I use a shishkabob (sp*) place the piece of seafood on the end and place it on the anemone making sure nothing takes the food from it. You'd be suprised i've seen crabs and hermits try to take food from the outer tenticles of my anemone.

Ok well the T5 lights really change how my tank looks. There should be more then enough light for the amemones that i have in the tank.

This green carpet anemone is my newest addition to my tank. These animals are really interesting to watch. I was very amazed at it's ability to lift a 3 lbs rock that it was tucking itself into after i put it in the tank. It seemed while it was finding just the right spot that when it flexed it had no issue moving it.

Does anyone have any advice on this animal?

pblrdom

HEADLESSFISH,
I am not going to hijack ur thread or flame u to bad, but you really need to get ur head inline with where this forum lies.
This is a community of individuals that love their hobby.
It is a place for people to talk and share experiences and story's that will better others.
With that said, show people respect! You by far have already stepped into the house with muddy shoes on.
Just my .02 but id suggest kicking it back a few notches on the cocky attitude meter.

lexluethar

Adding that many anemones of difference species to one tank is just asking for trouble. I would stick to one, maybe two, but four is WAY too much.

lexluethar

Anemones tend not to play nicely when it comes to having more than one in a tank (unless they are the same clone). Although you do have a large tank, so i think you'd be safe with 2. IMO 4 is too many, and thats just my opinion. Anemones have the ability (i'm not a bioligist so i don't know how) to sense other anemones within the tank, and can attack eachother by chemicals or actual physical touching. The problem with your tank is that if one anemones dies or starts doing bad, you'll probably just chalk it up to it being sick, or just dying, when in fact it died because of the other anemones.

lexluethar

In the short-run you will be okay, fish stores do it all the time. But for the long-term, i don't think all of them will survive within the same tank.

Yea my dude I would chill if I were you when it comes to your sarcasm cause people will just see your posts and be like oh it the "A-Hole again he can solve his own problem" so yea, its not really hard to just take peoples advice and keep shut about it instead of being a smart ***. You can do whatever you want but were just here to help, so if when one of your anenomes kill each other you wont be coming to this site and saying " oh my god my anenome is killing the other one
why is he doing that
" all we would say is we told you so. So yea were just helping

pblrdom

Originally Posted by HEADLESSFISH
http:///forum/post/2552531
I would like to suggest if you have nothing to add, then go post somewhere else k/thanks
what a moron

Hey man the joke is on you for being a ---- about it. I was giving you friendly advice and you did the completely expected.
Originally Posted by Aquatica-Tech

http:///forum/post/2552756
Yea my dude I would chill if I were you when it comes to your sarcasm cause people will just see your posts and be like oh it the "A-Hole again he can solve his own problem" so yea, its not really hard to just take peoples advice and keep shut about it instead of being a smart ***. You can do whatever you want but were just here to help, so if when one of your anenomes kill each other you wont be coming to this site and saying " oh my god my anenome is killing the other one
why is he doing that
" all we would say is we told you so. So yea were just helping

Agreed, and to be quite honest i hope that some day you see that people judge you on ur character. GL!

Originally Posted by LexLuethar
http:///forum/post/2552731
Anemones tend not to play nicely when it comes to having more than one in a tank (unless they are the same clone). Although you do have a large tank, so i think you'd be safe with 2. IMO 4 is too many, and thats just my opinion. Anemones have the ability (i'm not a bioligist so i don't know how) to sense other anemones within the tank, and can attack eachother by chemicals or actual physical touching. The problem with your tank is that if one anemones dies or starts doing bad, you'll probably just chalk it up to it being sick, or just dying, when in fact it died because of the other anemones.
interesting, i will have too keep an eye on them. I usally spend about an hour or so a day observing the tank, if something doesn't seem right i will take action.
The other 3 i have in the tank haven't moved, so i will keep in eye on the GCA and make sure he doesn't "grow legs" lol until he gets settled in.
My LHS has not pressured or made any attempt to sell me ANYTHING. I am the one asking all the questions and all i ask from them is: when did it arrive or how much does it cost. All the decisions to buy anything that i have put it my tank is the result of myself and not one else. With that being said, i will take care to monitor the activity of the new additions to my tank.

Here is a question:
What is your average NITRATE no3 levels in your tank?
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to lower your nitrate levels?

lexluethar

Water changes is the best method of reducing your nitrates. The problem there is this only reduces your nitrates - it doesn't solve the problem. So you need to look into other reasons why your nitrates are high, overfeeding, overpopulation, no water changes, water changes with tap water, water changes with bad water that has am/ni/na already in it, dead things in the water, dieoff of LR. There are tons of reasons WHY your nitrates COULD be high, you have to do some investigation.
As for your nitrates, since you have anemones it SHOULD be zero or close to it. This doesn't mean you can't get away with higher nitrates. Mine is constantly around 10 give or take 5 per week. They've been as high as 25 for bout a month, but it isn't recommended to go much higher than that for a long period of time.

i am reading about 15ppm i know its ok, but i want better then ok.
From what i was reading plants will help reduce the levels, but i know very little about saltwater plants, has anyone you know ever used them?
I do a 12gallow water change every week, but i am using tap water at the moment. How should i go about conditioning the tap water to improve the conditions in the tank?
With my new lights i noticed the coraline algae is reallying starting to take hold and spread on the crushed coral in my tank. When i got my lights i also bought "kent marine" coral-vite. I really like how the tanks look when the coraline takes hold and covers the live rock, is there any problems with soing this that i should worry about?

rotarygeek

This is a friendly forum. point blank is your attitude may not get you banned but your swearing will. And believe me, im on some very insensitive forums and its hard for me to adjust coming here and having to watch what i say, but i still do it. Unless you are so in love with this site that you want to be one of the few banned i suggest you tone it down a notch or two.
Now as for having your nitrate problem fixed, look at what is causing it and try to correct that first. Check your sand bed depth and make sure your livestock is all accounted for. Then check for anything else that could cause nitrates. Im having the same problem, and i found out the water im topping off with (walmart distilled water) has nitrates already in it. So now i need to find a place to get ro water at, or man up and get my own unit,

rtspeed

Well you shoul use ro or di water seeing that the tap can cause high nitrates also this is the worst water to use when working with something as delicate as a anemone, they will not last lond if you have to many trace element entering the water.
Oh and just ignore anything you don't like before you get banned for stupid stuff.