my new 150gallon re_setup after complete break out.

dirk_brijs

Yessssssssssss the sump/fuge arrived today and waisted no time putting in my plumbing to have it all run with tap water to check it all out.

note the acrylic thingy sitting on top of it waiting to be hooked up will be my own little turf scrubber.

tank still filling with regular tap water.

Skimmer waiting for the saltwater to arrive and do what it does best in the mean time just getting its feet wet

return pump and line 1" 6500Lt/Hr pump. (1700GPH)

overflow chamber with a 2" drain pipe.

return line from sump installed on the top of the tank

return line installed on top of tank (to avoid syphoning when power outage which happens allot here in Pattaya) On the bottom is a little closed loop like setup coming from the overflow chamber driven by a 3000Lt/Hr pump (750GPH)
DT is 150gallon and the new sump/fuge will add 90gallon to the system
Ocean water will arrive Monday together with my new fresh as fresh live rock straight out of the ocean. Will be using a few rocks from the old setup too as it looks the PO4 in those particular rocks is minimal. Have them still in the PO4 draining unit though and will re-check again Monday but so far looks promising with the water showing only 0.5 ppm PO4 now. had another water change done in the unit and let it run till Monday for final decision to use or not to use.
Will keep you guys posted

dirk_brijs

OK the folowing things noticed after a night and half a day running with tap water.
Overflow is too big for the 6500lt/Hr (1700GPH) return so had to close the valve slightly to help out.
Might have to install some sort of automatic top up valve system as evaporation seem larger then expected and return chamber maybe a bit small. Will keep monitoring this.
Had the Turf Scrubber hooked up too though not in operation yet.
Have some very minor (drip drip) leaks around some of the union valves due to presure I guess but all are over parts of the sump so no issues there.
Will empty the system tomorrow and have a last clean. ready for all the goodies on Monday.

ryancw01

Well, that stinks you have to do all that extra work on the tank, but it looks kind of fun to break it all down and start over and it will be worth it when it is all done. Good luck and looking good so far.

dirk_brijs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryancw01 http:///forum/thread/380012/my-fight-agains-phosphates-diary/20#post_3308347
Well, that stinks you have to do all that extra work on the tank, but it looks kind of fun to break it all down and start over and it will be worth it when it is all done. Good luck and looking good so far.
Thanks.
Could use all the help possible this time too. reason why I post here to avoid me having to start another thread like this ina years time.
Was hoping for some more advise though but I will go with the flow.
Took out the lower loop out today as it did cause my tank to empty in case of power outage so have to avoid that as said here in Pattaya power outages are a pretty common thing.
Did change the position of my 3500lt/Hr vibration pump now pointing away and up from overflow to creat an under current away and on the other side I have 2 4500lt/Hr vibration pump pointing up creating an upwards flow towards the overflow.

J

jstdv8

Maybe I don't understand your system, but how can your overflow be too big for your return?
It can only overflow as much as you pump into it. That's why return pumps need to be equal or smaller than overflows.
Does yours work differently?

dirk_brijs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstdv8 http:///forum/thread/380012/my-fight-agains-phosphates-diary/20#post_3308438
Maybe I don't understand your system, but how can your overflow be too big for your return?
It can only overflow as much as you pump into it. That's why return pumps need to be equal or smaller than overflows.
Does yours work differently?
Didnt mean it as a big issue as mentioned. My overflow is basically a whole in the glass with PVC piping no fancy syphon thingy. So water runs in it too quickly making the whole too big thus making the slurping sound. Can fix this with the valve installed behind it.

dirk_brijs

Emptied the system of the tap water ready for the final clean tomorrow done by the wife and supervised by me
Should I do a vinegar rinse again or not?
Nothing has been in the tank but tap water since last vinegar cleaning?
Took out the lower loop out today as it did cause my tank to empty in case of power outage so have to avoid that as said here in Pattaya power outages are a pretty common thing.
Did change the position of my 3000lt/Hr (790GPH) vibration pump now pointing away and up from overflow to creat an under current away and on the other side I have 2 5000lt/Hr (1300GPH) vibration pump pointing up creating an upwards flow towards the overflow.

dirk_brijs

Ok didnt do a final vinegar rinse but just a good cleaning with water.
Today finally rocks and water arrived. Gravel (Aragonite) was rinsed for little over a week now due to delay after delay so I guess that is rinsed well
anyway started right away with the aqua-scaping part of it all with large input of the wife (have to keep her interested in the hobby right??)
Am very curious what will be crawling in my tank by tomorrow morning.
This is fresh rock out of the Gulf of Thailand with barely any out of the water time so very much alive with all kind of critters and monsters. Will have some exploring to do tomorrow I guess if anything visible.

dirk_brijs

well that looks pretty nice if I say so myself. Kudos to the wife again.
So time for the sand. Had 53Kg (114Lbs) of aragonite ready. was way too much for the DT so have a DSB now in the Fuge.

dirk_brijs

Ok time for the water.
Wanted to place the rock first so Could help a bit with some epoxy. This thing should work under water but have no good experiences with working with epoxy under water. So thought it was better to place the rocks first then the water.
Had 900Lt (238Gal) of fresh Ocean water come in.
About 680Lt (180Gal) went into the system and stored 220Lt (58Gal) that will be used for salinity adjustment. Salinity of the water is quit low 1.020
will make that stored water a higher salinity 1.035 and do daily 10 to 20% water changes till right salinity of 1.026 in DT is achieved.
Any advise on this?

anyway the water pics are here. Pics were taken 1 hour after filled. Was happily surprised to see how fast things cleared up. I guess the over 1 week rinse of the aragonite did do something??
will post some pics of the Sump/Fuge tomorrow as things got too dark outside when all was done. Yes Sump/Fuge system is sitting outside of the house.

dirk_brijs

OK first test results after 1 night filled up.
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5.0
Ammonia 0.25
Ph 8.2
P04 0.5
Salinity 1.019
so I guess a mini cycle has set in which declares the slightly elevated Nitrate and ammonia I guess?
Will be buying my salt mixture today and will start adjusting the salt level in the tank over about a time span of 1 week adding my stored water with the elevated salinity.
If all level dont rise over the next 2 days I will start adding a CUC into the fuge and DT maybe?

dirk_brijs

Ok went to Bangkok today and got my lights.
3x 150W 25000K MH
4x 40W T5 Blue
6x Blue LED moonlights.
Also got a box of Tropic Marine salt mix. Brought my stored ocean water to a salinity of 1.029 and installed a power head and an air stone in it over night. Tomorrow will do a first 10% water change in order to bring my salinity in the DT to the required 1.026. Hope to accomplish this with about 3 to 4 10% such water changes?
anyway will keep you guys updated on this.
some pics with the new lights on.

dirk_brijs

also today installed my lights on my sump/fuge.
yes yes was very busy today.
Installed on the fuge 1x T8 18W 6200K with 1100Lm (61lm/W)
Guess thats not enough? So one more of the same bulb would do?

Installed 2x 20W (90W) CFL 2700K 1200lm on my turf scrubber. Will be installing some sort of reflectors to them though soon as now too much loss of light in the wrong direction.
Also picked up a large ball of Cheato at my LFS to make the refugium complete now (except for the extra lighting needed maybe?)
see pics of sump/fuge/ATS set up now.

dirk_brijs

skimmer seem to be doing ok I think?
Not too much skim came up yet. Nothing in the box just a bit on the sides but could be still breaking in maybe or maybe cause of the ocean water not much the skim??
advise here please??

meowzer

How deep do you have the skimmer? Also, And I am not 100%, but you have nothing in this tank....so I would not think there would be too much to skim

I like the blue lights too....

dirk_brijs

skimmer is sitting in 10" of water
actual depth of the sump chamber is 12" but skimmer sits on a stand.
size of the sump chamber is 20x24x12depth
size of refugium is 28x16x18"deep.
I was thinking the same thing about having nothing in the tank though thought maybe the rocks would make some skim??
anyone some more advise?

meowzer

HMMM...with all the research I have done on this skimmer, I am pretty sure 10" is a little too deep.....I think 6" is recommended ...8" MAX

You might want to look into that further

dirk_brijs

will certainly do thanks for that.
how high in the cone should I let the water come? just in the neck of the skimmer or coming into the cup almost?

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk_brijs http:///forum/thread/380012/my-new-150gallon-re-setup-after-complete-break-out/20#post_3309439
will certainly do thanks for that.
how high in the cone should I let the water come? just in the neck of the skimmer or coming into the cup almost?
HMMM...Good question.....with my Hurricone I have it midway...so on yours, I think that would be right above the reef octopus labels

You have to just keep an eye on it....If you have the water too high, I think the cup will fill up with more water.....It took me a few level adjustments to get it right LOL