my new 150gallon re_setup after complete break out.

dirk_brijs

ok second day of tests
Ammonia NH3-NH4 0.25
Ph 8.2
Phosphates PO4 0.25
Nitrites NO2 0.50
Nitrates NO3 5.0
Alkalinity 2.5
Calcium 420
Salinity 1.020 (raised one point after my first sal adjustment 10% water change)
Temp 27.1°C (80.7°F)
Guess a cycle has set in looking at some of the raised levels right.
Didnt add anything to the system though will be letting it go its way? smart or not?

dirk_brijs

Third day of testing

Ammonia NH3-NH4 0

Ph 8.2
Phosphates PO4 0.25
Nitrites NO2 0.25
Nitrates NO3 10.0

didnt test for calcium or alkalinity.
Salinity 1.022 (raised another 2 points after another adjustment 10% water change)
Temp 28.3°C (82.9°F) switch of the chiller as I dont think temp is of the essence here?
right or wrong??
Is the fluctuation of the test results normal for the cycle?
As I read up on some you have first an ammonia spike (day two test results mini spike) to after see a decrease in ammonia and a decrease in Nitrates (explains higher level today?)
So am I right in saying my cycle in the second stage of its cycle?
Advise please

dirk_brijs

PROBLEM 1
I have my fish in the quarantine tank now for over a week and it seems they are getting enough of it. Today found a clown with his caudal (tail) fin bitten short and his anal fin completely bitten of. Removed him and put him in the DT (which I was hoping not to put anything for at least one more wee) now a few hours back another clown with his tail fin bitten so put that one also in the DT??? Not too sure about the survival chances of the first one as he seem to be struggling floating upwards tail first. might die of pure exhaustion at a point I think? Should I leave him or be the executioner and get him out. What would a death fish now do to my not fully cycled tank? Though all levels are not that high?
Please advise??

dirk_brijs

This morning the bitten clown was doing fine gave him some food and he ate good.
Looks a bit better too. Think has was way exhausted and stressed too from being chased.
Anyway he is doing fine considering his wounds.
Today went to the beach looking for some clean up crew. Came a bit late for low tide so couldnt find any sand sifters. Had to go for snails and crabs on the rocks.
Added some 10 rock dwelling snails in the DT and about 15 in the fuge. Found about 5 crabs too but i didnt know if they were reef safe or even fish safe so added them in the fuge. Will be going back tomorrow at 7am (low tide) to get me some sand dwelling snails and maybe some sand dollars and hermits.
found some other creatures which I posted in the ID please forum check it out.

https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/forum/thread/380392/some-id-please-some-sort-of-aptasia-maybe#post_3310580

dirk_brijs

Todays test results.
Ammonia NH3-NH4 0.25 (went up a bit again)
Ph 8.4 (went up as well??)
Phosphates PO4 0.25
Nitrites NO2 0.25
Nitrates NO3 0 (went back to zero)
salinity is now at 1.023
temp 27.8°C (82.4°F)

dirk_brijs

Day 4 test results
Ammonia NH3-NH4 0
Ph 8.2
Phosphates PO4 0.25
Nitrites NO2 0.25
Nitrates NO3 0
salinity is now at 1.023
temp 27.0°C (80.6°F)
Guess my cycle is about done? Just the Trites seem to be staying noticable.

dirk_brijs

went to the beach again to get my sand cleaning crew this time.
Added 10 sand dollars, 5 small hermits and 3 very tiny sand digging crabs. Also 5 nassarius snails. Will go back as I would like to add a few more but couldn't find more today.
also picked up 2 real nice additions. Didn't put them in the display but set up a separate tank for them.
addition one Horseshoe Crab about 2 to 3"

addition 2: I think this is a decorator Crab? Can someone confirm?? (pics a bit murky as i just added fine sand to the water)

btldreef

Just curious..

Why are you adding things from the ocean, specifically if you can not positively ID them? And why are you adding things if you still have nitrite readings? You also have phosphate readings in a bare tank, that should not be happening....

I mean, with all the issues you had with your tank already, why take the risk?

IMO, ocean critters can carry parasites and it's not a good idea to put them in your tank. You could potentially be putting parasites in a new setup and starting a vicious cycle all over again.

As for the horse shoe crab, IMO, they should be left in the wild. They will eat all the good fauna out of your sand bed, and they get very large. They don't make for good tank makes, especially if you plan on doing a reef.

yes, I do believe that crab is a decorator.

meowzer

I agree with the horseshoe crab....not a good idea, but what to do with it now would be the question

I thought collecting sand dollars was illegal

dirk_brijs

I am in Thailand and collecting sand dollars here is not illegal they are thousands here spread over the sand when low tides set.
As for adding to my DT.
I dint or didn't add any of those critters to my DT I only added the snails and sand dollars and 3 small hermits as a cuc.
The rest of the critters went into the Fuge.
The Decorator and horseshoe went in a separate tank specially set up for them. Thus the fine sand which was just added.
Added some fresh oysters and mussel meat and some shrimp and both started munching away right away.
Horseshoe disappeared after that under ground though.

btldreef

Even adding the sand dollars and snails ... if they have any sort of parasite .......
I don't know. You went through a lot, have started over with your setup, the whole nine, why risk it?

dirk_brijs

Nothing much today all test results show the same results as yesterday all but the Trites are undetectable for 3 days now. Nitrites also not going up so could it be the test kit reading a wrong result??
Will see if I can find a different brand for Nitrites maybe.
Had the same problem with Api Ph tester giving me wrong results.
Anyway all is quiet.

dirk_brijs

Today again a nothing to declare kind of day.
All parameters much the same though again I think my Nitrite test kit is faulty. Today the color was a bit between the 0 mark and the 0.25 mark.
Anyway will be doing these tests till Friday and will do a 10% water change then to make sure. Hope to be having the new Nitrite test kit by then too.
Also ordered some more specialized cuc from the Bangkok stores. Ordered 5 Turbo snails (2 for DT the rest in the sump/fuge where I have some serious hair algea growth right now) 2 cleaner shrimp, 3 peppermint as the fresh life rock obviously has some aiptasia on it and 1 coral banded. Hopefully will have those by Monday.
Will keep you guys updated.

dirk_brijs

Ok some changes today.
The Nitrites test result clearly showed the 0 mark with all the others Ammonia and nitrates also set at 0 so I guess my tank is ready to go??
Anyway will wait a bit more. The snails and sand dollars seem to be having a good time and roam around the sand and rocks looking for the few algea that starts showing in the DT tank now. It seems especially around the lighter stones I have in the tank.
Anyway hoping to hear something about the Turbos and shrimp today.
Also I seem to be having a serious Hair algea outbreak in the sump/fuge tank outside. More so in the Sump part of it then in the Fuge part?? Better there then in the DT I guess though would like to do something about it??
As said hope those Turbos will show up soon so they can start munching away. Also tomorrow the newly designed light cover for my turf scrubber will arrive so I can that thing to start producing I hope??
Also tomorrow the ordered ocean water for my 10% water change will be there. Salt is ready in case salinity has to be adjusted again and will be doing the first monthly water change/ Maintenance duties.
Anyway again will keep you guys updated.

dirk_brijs

OK 3rd day now all parameters show clear zeros on the test results.
So added my fishies back to the main tank.
I never saw them that happy after being in that small QT with all of them.
Seems like they didnt know where to swim to first.
Anyway will be positing pics later on.
All snails and sand dollars are doing fine popping up from the sand every now and then. Also had my own fresh fish food mix made 2 days ago consisting of fresh Shrimp, fresh squid, fresh oyster, fresh mussels, Mackerel, Frozen cyclopeze, zooplankton, phytoplankton, PetLife perfect food, Brine shrimp, Aquavitro fuel and Nori sheets.
Have been feeding them in the QT this mixture for that time and they seem to love it fighting over the bigger pieces in the mix.
Also have ghost fed the DT yesterday with this mix which made all Nassarius snails pop out of the sand and start running wild. Also all hermits were happy happy.
Anyway later today first feeding with fish in the system.
Didnt get the shrimp and Turbos yet but will be going to Bkk myself on Monday to get them.
again pics later on.

dirk_brijs

as promised the pictures of the cuc and the release of the fishies
the built in vacuum cleaners

Soo happy

they didnt know where to head first. Notice the hand of God in the background

he realy wanted to be in the picture with the goby