my new 180 long build

hefner413

yeah, all the posts with "attached images" don't work. when I click on them, it opens up a new IE window and it's just blank. even if I use "save target" and save the .gif file to my computer, it's still blank. all the photos that were on photobucket still work though. Hopefully they'll get these working soon!

tropills

Originally Posted by Hefner413
http:///forum/post/2454854
yeah, all the posts with "attached images" don't work. when I click on them, it opens up a new IE window and it's just blank. even if I use "save target" and save the .gif file to my computer, it's still blank. all the photos that were on photobucket still work though. Hopefully they'll get these working soon!
pic's back

tropills

thought I would bring this thread back from the Dead, I'll post some updated pic's later, but a LOT has changed since January when I transferred from the 125 over to this tank.

novahobbies

All right! Are we gonna get the ol' "six months later......." post? Looking foreward to it!
I saw a lot of similarities to what I just did a month ago, only on a much LARGER scale. I just switched my 55 for a 110......next move will be a 280, in a year or two!

tropills

Ok to re-cap, back in December 2007 I found a great deal on a 8 foot 180 with dual corner overflows, stand and canopy for 250 bucks, I sold my 125 non RR reef tank and transferred all inhabitants to the new tank, and redid all the lighting from the old tank, my old tank had a 55 gallon sump/refuge that I was going to use on the new tank but decided against it due to the height restraint under the tank, it would only leave me 8 inches for work in the sump.
I decided to go with sterilite tubs instead and I have to tell you they are great to work with a MUCH cheaper than pre-built sumps. I have them set up in-line, with the main drains into the refuge first then to the next lower tub with my return pump, speaking of the return I have a quite one 6000 plumbed to 1.5 inch return lines that split at the top of the stand by means of a Y fitting to 4 outlets into the tank, I love the nice gentle random flow it produces, I also removed the spray bar I had installed behind the rock work when I added the last of the rock back in I believe march. I got a great deal on a Seio controller from the man , Bronco. what a cool device that is the only thing is that you can not control each head separately, but oh well, I have 2 seio 2600's one on each end of the tank so the work against each other. also I have 6 MJ 1200's mounted throughout the tank also, I update the lighting from 2 400watt and 2 175watt halides to 4 400's and the 2 175's so I have a total of 6 halides that push 1950 watts along with actinic pc's so I have a total of 2142 watts of lighting, the halide are XM 10k's and are sweet.
I pondered getting a chiller but decide to try something different to cool the water instead, I went geothermal.... my Buddie and I dug a 6 deep foot hole and installed 300 feet of 1/2 inch radiant pex tubing in the ground and into the house where it's hooked to a mag drive 250 to circulate tank water thru the pex out in the ground back to the tank. the tank water going in to the ground from the tank was 82 and returning at 79 so now the tank is running at a constant 78 to 79 degrees with the only electrical cost being the mag pump. I don't have any pictures of the ground chiller build do to no camera at the time and crappy weather, the install was put in when it was raining.

tropills

livestock consists of
350 pounds oolitic sand
800+ lbs fiji, tonga branch, lace and tuffa rock
tons of differant mushrooms
kenya tree ( I hate this stuff )

a few hermits 200 or so
turbo snails 50 ish
1 . 14.5 inch Vlamingii tang
1 . 6 inch mimic tang
1 . 4.5 inch yellow tang
1 . 5 inch regal tang
1 . 3.5 inch royal gramma
1 . 2.5 clarkii clown
1 . 10 inch porcupine puffer
18 inch handonii carpet
a bunch of misc softie corals
70 pounds of rubble in sump
cheato in fuge
and some other stuff im sure I forgot

tropills

Just a update on this tank, I shut it down do to being over loaded with livestock. here are a couple pictures of the NEW system. well over 500+ gallons.
This entire build was hand built by me.