my new 180 long build

tropills

equipment will arrive on Thursday,
then I'll finish the return pump hook-up not really much to that, just install the union between the pump and ball valve, I have 100 gallons of fresh saltwater ready to go for top off and water changes, all rock has been rinsed in ro water and is ready to go, really hate the waiting for parts , at least the weather was great today, got 18 holes in over to the golf coarse( it's real nice being assistant superintendent)
shot a real nice round to boot.... I'll keep the updates going as things progress.... Greg

tropills

hurray parts came
hooked the return pump and gave it a test run with 25 gallons of water to clear the lines or any plastic shavings that may have been left over from the return piping build, flows real nice and even out all 4 return outlets, it took not quite a minute and a half to pump 25 gallons so I should be close to the 1250 that I was hoping for, the skimmer is running in a Rubbermaid tote to season up, it's a new current fission recirculating model, real easy to adjust and makes a poop load of bubbles.
I'll get pic's up as soon as I charge my camera again. any comments or suggestions are welcome on the way I'm setting this up, or just say

does anyone use submersible heaters in their Rubbermaid plastic sumps??
I'm a little scared to place them on the bottom even though there will be a ton of flow around them,as they will be directly under the 2 drains from the DT, FYI they are visa therm deluxe 300watt.

tropills

Originally Posted by hunter04106
in sted of running 6 out lets drill 1/2 in holes in 1/in pvc. You could save on t fittings.

tropills

here's some of the pic's of the sumps and skimmer, desided on putting a piece of glass on the bottom of the upper sump to put the heaters on,
let me know how it looks so far.

tropills

well just to update, the move comensed today at high noon, everything went very smooothly, was able to save almost 100 gallons from the old tank, transfered all livestock, rock , and corals over to 2, 60 gallon tubs, moved all the sand over to the 180, pumped 75 gallons new water in , then started to
re-aquascape, still need to redo a little rock work. here's a few pic's of the move...

tropills

well here it is with the lights on 24 hours after the move from the 125.
cleared up nice , corals are looking good and no spikes in amonina or nitrite,
ph is real good at 8.3, nitrates are .05, salinity at 1.026, think I'm going to have to switch out my 2 175 halides for 2 more 400's, the center of the tank where I have the 175's seems a little dim . .

tropills

one more, man I hate only being able to post 5 pic's at a time

comment please I would really like to know how it looks

murph145

lookin good glad to see the switch went well now its time to sit back relax and watch it grow up.... lol well i wish it was relax time but u know what i mean... keep us updated

tropills

OK just to update, rechecked water parameters and all it great, new skimmer is still cycling and pulling a little out but not much yet, I hate the look of the center of the tank it has 2 20k 175 halides and the outsides both have 400 watt 14k halides 1 per side , I'm going to try a couple 14k 175's and see if that gives more light, just seems dim in the center to visually look at, I have some low light corals in my frag tank I'm going to move into the center but would like it just a little brighter as the whole PAR thing goes I should switch them all to 6500k but that's a little yellow for me as is the 10k's. any comments on the lighting will help out

tropills

any comments on the center lights ?? they are 20k 175's now,will they put out more light if I switch them out with a lower K bulb? don't have the cash for two 400 watt ballasts and bulbs right now to switch out yet, as I will be more than likley in the spring when my other 400's will need bulbs anyway, I'll just order another pair of retros for the center.

tropills

thought I would post here instead of starting a new thread. I really need a detris clean up crew... have a TON of flow but no cleaners for my sand, now here's the catch, I have a almost 10 inch porcupine puffer that will eat snails and some hermits.. so I guess the question is will 6 sand cucumbers and 3 sand stars clean-up almost 250lbs of sand ??? what else could I add without getting a gobie, not that I don't want one, but I just don't want one...
thanks Greg