my new 180 long build

tropills

Originally Posted by sign guy
is your skimmers footprint with or without the pump?
with pump , I received a e-mail from the company I purchased it from and they said it was on back order, I emailed them and told them to cancel it,the more that I think of it I may be better off going with a large hang on sump unit. that way the only thing in the sump itself is the pump. is the Berlin series any good ? thanks again for the continued help.
Greg

sign guy

the berlin sump? or are you refering to a skimmer Im not aware of. the berlin sumps is a type not nessisarily a brand anmore and a good design but premade berlin sumps are quite expensive

tropills

the berlin sump? or are you refering to a skimmer Im not aware of. the berlin sumps is a type not nessisarily a brand anmore and a good design but premade berlin sumps are quite expensive
I'm sorry, should have clarified that a little better.. I was referring to the red sea Berlin turbo protein skimmers.

tropills

Originally Posted by murph145
i really like my ASM-G4 skimmer its in sump and works out just fine
once again thanks, the in sump skimmers that I will need have such a large foot print , even the ASM G3 that I was going to get has a 12x12 foot print,
and only having a 36 inch tank, to make the equipment sump portion and intake and return chambers then wanting a decent size refuge doesn't really leave me too much refuge space to use going with a in sump skimmer.
Greg

sign guy

Originally Posted by tropills
I'm sorry, should have clarified that a little better.. I was referring to the red sea Berlin turbo protein skimmers.
not heard alot of feedback on it myself but not a big fan of red sea or the design Ive seen through online pics and magizines. although someone might chime in and say its there pride and joy

tropills

not heard alot of feedback on it myself but not a big fan of red sea or the design Ive seen through online pics and magizines. although someone might chime in and say its there pride and joy
this is what I'm talking about..

murph145

once again thanks, the in sump skimmers that I will need have such a large foot print , even the ASM G3 that I was going to get has a 12x12 foot print,
and only having a 36 inch tank, to make the equipment sump portion and intake and return chambers then wanting a decent size refuge doesn't really leave me too much refuge space to use going with a in sump skimmer.
Greg
yerah they are bigg skimers mine barely fits in my sump compartment but i love how it works

tropills

have you heard how the red sea Berlin hang ons are ??? the only revues I've read say they are really good and are fully able to be disassembled, man this is the worst part of buying a new piece of equipment, all the choices and not sure what to do.I really like the ASM's but the foot print is making me a little nervous on getting one. unless I drill the 30 gallon and one of my 20's and use the 30 for my sump and the 20 for the fuge ?? man my head is really starting to hurt now.

tropills

I have the 55 gallon sump under my 125 now but the only way to get it out is to lift the tank off the stand then lift it out. then to get it under the 180 it's the same thing, it won't fit through the doors and make the swing in. and I refuse to lift the tank back off the stand it weighs around 600 lbs.

murph145

ahh i made my stand with all fully removeable panels for this reason so i could fit anything i wanted under it lol

sign guy

I guess what Im saying is that a 30gal tank is quite small for a 180 and everything you need to store in it. I would look at a few other tanks and try and build one that fits your tank better. you dont want to skimp on a sump that couses you to skimp on a skimmer, then turn and have to start all over again. that why its taking me a cupple years to get me a 300 reef setup. im ganno be damn shure that I have what I need and get for the long haul. just my.02

ronwar

Certainly not an expert, but here is what I did with my 180...
I have both returns going into the sump. The sump has my skimmer, heater, media, etc.
I have a small pump going to the Fuge, and the water from the Fuge falls back into the Sump...I probably would change a few things if I had it to do all over again, but hopefully you can get a few ideas to make yours the way you want it.

tropills

ronwar- thanks thats kinda what I was thinking , by using the 20 & 30 gallon tanks that I have now.
sign guy - thank you again, I'm not trying to skimp, it's just that I have seveal other tanks just lying around and would like to use them for somthing other than extra coffee or end tables.
murph- thanks for not making my night, LOL
build me a new stand, I would consider removing a end pannel on the 180 stand but I really don't know how or where to start to support the tank weight when full of water,sand,rock,
Thanks to each of you.

murph145

exactly thats y i made my own lol it came out pretty darn good i wanted enough room to put what i wanted in there
hey go and party your only a few hours away from the new years ive still got some time lol but happy new years

tropills

Originally Posted by murph145
exactly thats y i made my own lol it came out pretty darn good i wanted enough room to put what i wanted in there
hey go and party your only a few hours away from the new years ive still got some time lol but happy new years
HAPPY NEW YEAR

acrylic51

this is what I'm talking about..
Don't listen to the manufacturer as far as pump recommendations....I ran 1 of these skimmers 8 years ago, and it ran like crap on recommended pump, but I played around and put a pressure rated Little Giant to it, and that thing skimmed....