My NEW 24gal nano DX!!!!!!!!!!!!!

L

lbaskball

Here is an update on some new Corals I've added to my tank. I am fully stocked and I dont think I will be adding anymore...lol (or at least I keep telling myself that)

IMAGE 1) Cup Coral
IMAGE 2) Hammer Coral
IMAGE 3) Sun Coral with its tentacles open at night
IMAGE 4) Picture of my Clam that I have had for a while now.
IMAGE 5) Red Brain picture taken near night time, during the day its twice the size.
Hope you guys like it. Also for those who have anemones, read up on how my anemone lived to see another day!!! It almost died but came back to life.
Here is the thread https://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/showthread.php?t=200292
Please leave comments and feedback!!!!!!!! THANK YOU

jawfish101

Your carnation coral looks good, but i wouldnt expect it to live long. They have a dismal survival rate in tanks. They are very hard to keep alive. I bought one a long time ago on impulse, it lasted a few months before it died. (I now do thourough research on things before i buy them!) They normally look like they are doing fine, but their not. I fed mine about every couple of days, it still died. If yours lives more than a few months, then you are one of the very few people that has had some success with them. I wish you luck, that is a very hard coral for a beginner.

L

lbaskball

Originally Posted by Jawfish101
Your carnation coral looks good, but i wouldnt expect it to live long. They have a dismal survival rate in tanks. They are very hard to keep alive. I bought one a long time ago on impulse, it lasted a few months before it died. (I now do thourough research on things before i buy them!) They normally look like they are doing fine, but their not. I fed mine about every couple of days, it still died. If yours lives more than a few months, then you are one of the very few people that has had some success with them. I wish you luck, that is a very hard coral for a beginner.

Your right , I heard they usually die. The only reason why I bought it was because I saw it the first day they had it at the LFS, but I did not buy it. After a month or so I came in and I noticed that at the LFS it was still alive and had grown. I decided to buy it and the LFS guy said he cannot guarantee and that it might die tomorrow. But I bought it mainly because I saw the growth overtime. I bought the carination coral on 2/16/06 and it is still doing well. The other thing is, I dont directly feed it. Lastly, it has grown more out from the rock. SO far , So good. :)
Thanks for the comments, I appreciate it very much.

L

lbaskball

Originally Posted by bigpete
yo what lighting do u have for that clam?
I have a 150watt Metal Halide (10,000K) + 36watt (50/50) Compact Flourescent.
The tank is a 24gal JBJ Nano Cube.

jawfish101

I am glad that you know of the survival rate of the Carnations, just thought i would mention it in case you didnt!
Good luck with your tank, the pics were awesome!

jhebi

Originally Posted by lbaskball
Wow...lets say it cost me A LOT. But thats because I have so many corals in it. I did the all the MODS for the metal halides myself. I live in Los Angeles, Calif. and the temperatures can reach up to 82 on a hot day with my chillers on. I dont know how it will be in Arizona. And another big reason why it reaches 82F is because the tank is in a little room. If it was in a big room or in a living room I doubt it would get that high. The thermo chiller holds the temperature quiet well at 82. The liverock wasnt taht expensive. I bought for around 3.99 a pound. Live sand I got it at *****. And everything else, all the corals..prolly adds up to a whole bunch of $$$!!!
To set up the nano I bought at a regular price, and the metal halides with bulb I got around less then $150.00 and the thermoelectric chiller I made was less then $50bucks. So around $200 to get started with Halides/chiller and you will need I believe $250.00 for the tank itself. I like the JBJ tanks more then other tanks. My prefrence.
The end result: PRICELESS haha

Hey baskball, where you live, I live in torrance and work in Gardena, where you get your stuff.....e-mail me at acho@newslogistics.net

L

lbaskball

Originally Posted by NateP206
just read this whole thread lbasketball ur tank is beutiful!!! id love to see a full tank shot!!!
nate

THANK YOU!! If you like to see a full tank shot, turn to page 1 in my thread. There is a full tank shot of my nano as well as MORE pictures!

mr ray

Hey baskball I was wondering if you'd be able to show me a pic of your lighting/hood so that i can get some idea of what I should do.
Thanks

L

lbaskball

Originally Posted by Mr Ray
Hey baskball I was wondering if you'd be able to show me a pic of your lighting/hood so that i can get some idea of what I should do.
Thanks
I used whats called a "mini pendant HQI metal halide 150watt" that I bought online. I cut the center of the canopy and placed the metal halide. I had to remove 1 compact flourescent and keep 1 (mainly because of heat issues and that I do not have a full chiller, I have a small thermoelectric chiller) I had to move the CF light near the front of the canopy. And that was pretty much it.
I will try to get a good picture posted on here for you soon.

L

lbaskball

Originally Posted by NateP206
bump
i was talking abouta recent full tank shot with akk ur new corals!!!
nate

I will try to get new pictures but the only thing that is i guess new is my new neon green bubble tip anemone. :) I will see what I can do! Check back soon.

bigpete

hey lbasktbal, thanks for the comments. really appreciate it. well, lemme see if i can answer some questions for you. i guess ill just fill you in...
in regards to the coraline:
*I have to give props to nano A and B by KENT. this stuff made my coraline grow like crazy. also, nano A and B is pretty much everything you need to supplement a mini reef! sooo good i highly reccomend buying some. it comes in two seperate bottles, they sell it on SWF.com i believe. plus, when i was selecting LR i was looking for pieces that already had some decent coraline growth. I always kept my salinity in check by checking it daily and doing a 10% water change every week...this leads me into my next point
*i think the reason i do not have hair algae is because i do my water changes every week. i swear this is the key to controlling algae...that and light. also, i have a decent clean up crew plus the generic algae scraper. in my tank, i have 4 ast. snails and 2 nas. snails. i also have a star...i know ill get flamed for that but hes goin in an 80 gal later.
*Along time ago i kept a 6 gal when i first got into the hobby. Red slime grew all over the place in that tank and i came to find out that i was over feeding my damsel...yes a damsel in a 6 gal. i was a n00b. but, i would reccomend not feeding your fish too much. there is really nothing you can do about the light because your corals, especially that clam is gonna need it. see what happens when you decrease the food you feed your fish. also, try moving the sand around every now and then. this seemed to get rid of it gradually, but it wasnt the sole reason. i havent had red slime in my nano(yet...) but i try and keep on top of algae control.
TO SUM IT UP(lol)
1. Do weekly 10% water changes
2.Get Nano A + B by KENT
3. Dont overfeed and just get a few more snails.
BUT ON THE REAL...your tank looks awesome. i love your clowns and i just think clams are the best so props for that. let me know if your near the bay area and i can frag you some of my zoos. I have a few small frags already in the back of my tank that im tryin to get to spread. i know this is a lot and i really TRY NOT TO PREACH. haha sorry bout that. but im lovin your tank dude. IMO nothing looks wrong at all! keep up the good work
my email is pdowdall@stmarys-ca.edu

L

lbaskball

Originally Posted by bigpete
hey lbasktbal, thanks for the comments. really appreciate it. well, lemme see if i can answer some questions for you. i guess ill just fill you in...
in regards to the coraline:
*I have to give props to nano A and B by KENT. this stuff made my coraline grow like crazy. also, nano A and B is pretty much everything you need to supplement a mini reef! sooo good i highly reccomend buying some. it comes in two seperate bottles, they sell it on SWF.com i believe. plus, when i was selecting LR i was looking for pieces that already had some decent coraline growth. I always kept my salinity in check by checking it daily and doing a 10% water change every week...this leads me into my next point
*i think the reason i do not have hair algae is because i do my water changes every week. i swear this is the key to controlling algae...that and light. also, i have a decent clean up crew plus the generic algae scraper. in my tank, i have 4 ast. snails and 2 nas. snails. i also have a star...i know ill get flamed for that but hes goin in an 80 gal later.
*Along time ago i kept a 6 gal when i first got into the hobby. Red slime grew all over the place in that tank and i came to find out that i was over feeding my damsel...yes a damsel in a 6 gal. i was a n00b. but, i would reccomend not feeding your fish too much. there is really nothing you can do about the light because your corals, especially that clam is gonna need it. see what happens when you decrease the food you feed your fish. also, try moving the sand around every now and then. this seemed to get rid of it gradually, but it wasnt the sole reason. i havent had red slime in my nano(yet...) but i try and keep on top of algae control.
TO SUM IT UP(lol)
1. Do weekly 10% water changes
2.Get Nano A + B by KENT
3. Dont overfeed and just get a few more snails.
BUT ON THE REAL...your tank looks awesome. i love your clowns and i just think clams are the best so props for that. let me know if your near the bay area and i can frag you some of my zoos. I have a few small frags already in the back of my tank that im tryin to get to spread. i know this is a lot and i really TRY NOT TO PREACH. haha sorry bout that. but im lovin your tank dude. IMO nothing looks wrong at all! keep up the good work
my email is pdowdall@stmarys-ca.edu

Thank you for taking the time to write me all that. Every bit of your words helped. I always wondered how people get their coraline algae to grow so thought I'd ask you since you had it everywhere.
I am starting to get brown/red slim algae bloom now out of no where. I also found out that my ICA chiller has been causing problems because the heatsink that they use is I believe to be aluminum. You know what happence to aluminum when it is combined with saltwater....I had fish death due to that and had to find out the hard way. I just need to make sure that it is aluminum. Either way..its definetly a metal, and it is not plastic that is for sure.
I use this supplement that has A and B together. But I will try the one you have. I dont have the regular snails with hard shells, but I had some that were hitchhikers that had soft shells but they were some other type of snails. I think i will have to buy some more snails.
My frogspawn and my elegance coral have become so big that I dont think I can even keep it in my 24gal anymore. They practically take up the whole tank.
Lastly, I bought some new zoo's... :) hopefully they will live. I have had problems with keeping zoo's inthe past for some reason.
Anyway, thanks for the great advice. Keep updating your tank as I will be doing the same.
p.s. Sadly..I dont live near the bay area to get some of your zoo's..lol.

natep206

just realized u have the color hammer ive been looking for. r u willing to trade a frag? or sell? . ill problly give u a deal. if u will trade i have these zoos i could give u up to 20 polyp for only one head!:scared: let me know.

thanks
nate

L

lbaskball

Well I got lots of sad news for everyone. :help:
I dont know if I replied but I think my thermoelectric chiller caused my favorite fish and my small fish to die..although im not certain why only two died. Then...my stupid stock pump in my 24gal nano crashed and couldnt find a replacement pump in time, causing cyano bacteria in the tank and thus caused more algae, and ended up in an algae bloom...everywhere.....but most importantly..on my carnation coral. :(

I had no way of getting rid of the algae thats over my carnation coral, there is one little bit of carnation coral bud that is left. It is doing okay so far. I did what I could, and I ordered a maxi jet pump that is good.
But the good news is...my hammer coral is growing new buds..and it seems like it has more mouths now then it originally did, so im guessing it has grown. All other corals, including (frogspawn,elegance, mushroom, zoo's, starpolpys, clam, 2 clownfish, sun coral, red brain coral, and anemone is doing well)

I have also ordered a reefkeeper 2.0 to keep my lights,pumps,salinity,ph, chiller in line.
Bigpete, your tank looks better everytime you post pictures. After I fix the disaster in my tank, i will be sure to post some pictures. :joy:
I promise the new pictures will look nice. Its been hectic trying to do all this with a limited budget and going through finals in college.
P.S. Last good news is, that I will be going to baja california soon and will be staying at a marine research facility where only sceintits and researchers are allowed to stay. I will be looking at corals, snorkling, and lots of fun for two weeks. Cant wait.