My new 55 gallon reef tank

subielover

Sounds like you are doing things the right way, which will pay off in the long run. I would second the motion to remove that background. All black will bring the colors of both the fish and the coral out much better. Other than that, research, research then research some more. Welcome to the addiction.

shyshko08

Originally Posted by premilove
http:///forum/post/2918999
what are you using for filtration? if you are using canister filters make sure you either 1- change media once every week and a half to two weeks or 2- LR inside canister, or my fav - 3 throw it out!
You don't want to replace the media, you want to rinse HALF of the media every 2 weeks MAX. You replace HALF the media every 3 months. For the Fluval 305 at least. I agree, I wish I hadn't gotten the canister filter, but I'm just going to have to work with it for now.

shyshko08

Originally Posted by 1990jpyj
http:///forum/post/2919381
i have one thing that i say needs to change, this is my opinion but if your going reef then you should change the background to one solid color. its kinda weird looking now wiht just the LR in there.
good luck keep us posted

I Agree with this 100%. A solid black, or a fading blue background would look nice.

meowzer

Agree on the solid background..although the one you do have is nice...once you start putting stuff in, and growing your algae you'll see why the solid looks better.

trouble93

Originally Posted by subielover
http:///forum/post/2921286
Sounds like you are doing things the right way, which will pay off in the long run. I would second the motion to remove that background. All black will bring the colors of both the fish and the coral out much better. Other than that, research, research then research some more. Welcome to the addiction.

+1 post your water levels and that blue background might not be a bad idea.

lonelytree

Hi everyone. Thanks again for all the advice I have been getting. It has only been 4 days since the tank was set-up. We have one (1) snail on the sand and one brittle worm in the branch rock. Both are doing well. The rock looks as if it has came to life as well. All the holes are really defined. Every crevice appears to look as if it is waiting for a creature to inhabit it. Blue is my favorite color. So I will look for a blue background. My water tested good today. Remember it has only been 4 days. Ammonia=0.50ppm nitrites=0ppm P.H.=8.4 calcium=300ppm nitrates=20ppm. So in the near future the tank will have a new background. Thanks again. I will keep you all updated. Advice always welcome.

Can't say that I agree with the "replace the canister" suggestion. Everyone has their own opinion about what works and the truth is, canisters are fine. Now, I wouldn't run one on a tank over 75g but for a smaller tank canisters are fine.
Other than that, things look good so far! I would replace the background and go with a solid color, you'll be happier in the long run.
Good luck and congrats!

ilovemytank

I agree with replacing the background. I would go with a light blue altough black is good too. Just a prefrince I guess. As far as the canister. They are excellent filters if you treat them right. As you get experience you will want a sump and refugium but there isn't a need to rush into that untill you have all the knowledge you need to decide on how you want your set up. I ran a 125 heavily stocked on two rena filstars xp3's for a long time. They did an excellent and job. Also you don't have to change media everyweek and a half. Put yourself on a "once every three weeks" full maintenance plan on it though. Take the unit break it down, and rince any biological growth products you have in there. I used two sizes of filter pads in the first chamber. I did not use any carbon because that will cause some more maintenance. In the next two chambers I used small bio-stars and ceramic cylenders for maximum surface space for good bacteria to grow. In the final chamber I used a very fine filter pad. The reason for the good maintenace plan on these is because the filters trap in so much waste ( food and pooh ) that if not emptied and cleaned it could cause a nitrate build up in your tank. Thats why you make sure you rinse the bio media as well when you clean them. once you get experience then you will know what type of wet/dry, sump or refugium or combination you want. Good luck and welcome to the boards !

trouble93

One thing will always hold true when you talk about canisters you will get so many different views...So many of us in this hobby go on information passed down through the ranks and there is nothing wrong with that, but if you have never run this equipment how can you form a honest opinion. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying this to be negative in any way, but IMO canisters get a bad rap from a lot of people who have never used one. And it tends to confuse new hobbyists. I have a friend who runs two canisters on a 125gal. reef tank and his tank is something to behold. I run a canister and a sump and I would only have a problem if I didn't take care of my equipment. Some people say Don't use canister filters as main filtration. This is freshwater technology! I beg to differ...I look at it like this, I want to start a saltwater tank so I ask Joe who has a real nice saltwater tank what he uses as a filter and he says a fluval 405 I run out and spend my money on that same filter set my tank up and I'm real happy with what I have. Happy enough to want to tell my peers what I have done. And 9 people come back and tell me I shouldn't have done that I should have done this. 6 of witch have never used one themselves. Now you have someone who was happy with there setup not even taking the time to enjoy what they have before we send them out to do a upgrade. I believe it's our responsibility not to stress them out but to help them enjoy the wonderful world of the saltwater hobby...Just My Opinion

lonelytree

I agree as well with trouble93. Everyone does things just a bit different. I try to take a little from everyone and use what works for me. I would say that if the maintenance is done,,,and done right, any filtration system will work. It all depends on if you enjoy doing maintenance or consider it a burden. I think if you like the hobby, maintenance is just part of it. Just my opinion. I am not trying to contradict anyone as I am new. I like doing things to the tank. But I have to be doing something. If you want more time in between maintenance, then I am sure there is filtration systems that would allow that.
I also agree that everyone should enjoy their tanks. Thanks for all the advice I have gotten so far, so please keep it coming. Lonelytree

ilovemytank

Originally Posted by lonelytree
http:///forum/post/2922768
Bio balls,,, good or bad,,, just curious.
You will get alot of different answers for these too. Bio balls have lots of surface space to grow beneficial bacteria. The reason alot of people will tell you not to use them is because they do get detrius build up on them. As long as you have a maintenance plan to rinse them ( clean ) them so often ( will vary depending on the tank ) then you can use them just fine. As you can tell I'm on the band wagon of you using your canister. Trouble93 did say it better than me with his explanations.
My question to you is;
Why are you asking about bio balls ? Is it becuase you are considering not using your canister ? Bio balls aren't near as good as several other types of media for a canister. The best for a canister is mini bio stars or ceramic cylenders.

lonelytree

I was just curious about them. I really don't have the intention of using them right now. I had my lfs sell me some for my 10 gallon fresh water. I really dont see where they done it much good. I don't even have them in it any more. The lfs told me not to rinse them????? Although I did when I had them floating in it. I like the canister filter I have for now. I think it is doing a fine job. I am amazed at all the advice I have gotten so far. It is like doing research, only straight from the people involved. Trouble93 is who is helping me out and getting me started. If it weren't for him I wouldn't have gotten into the hobby. Now I can't see what I was waiting on. Once again I must thank all the hobbyist who have helped me or offered their comments. I appreciate you taking your time to assist me. As always advice welcome.

trouble93

Originally Posted by Ilovemytank
http:///forum/post/2923017
You will get alot of different answers for these too. Bio balls have lots of surface space to grow beneficial bacteria. The reason alot of people will tell you not to use them is because they do get detrius build up on them. As long as you have a maintenance plan to rinse them ( clean ) them so often ( will vary depending on the tank ) then you can use them just fine. As you can tell I'm on the band wagon of you using your canister. Trouble93 did say it better than me with his explanations.
My question to you is;
Why are you asking about bio balls ? Is it becuase you are considering not using your canister ? Bio balls aren't near as good as several other types of media for a canister. The best for a canister is mini bio stars or ceramic cylenders.
Good point...I have bio balls in my sump along with some live rock rubble. It is a good maintenance plan that make them work the best. And there is a way to clean them to get the best results out of them. Using saltwater IMO is the best way to clean them. And then there's the other side of the tank, the ceramic cylenders in my canister along with carbon that I replace every two weeks or so that give me longer time in between cleaning the bio balls. I don't know about doing eather or seperately but all together works well for me.

ilovemytank

I like the pictures but there is one thing I'm wondering about. The first picture thats looking down the side of the tank; the rock that leans toward the fromt glass; Is there enough room that when you use your magnectic glass scaper that it will go by without hitting the rock ? I know with that design you can have good water circulation. If it were my tank though I would move your rocks slightly towards the back of the tank more. That would give the fish a larger "escape" for hiding and give more swimming room out front. This also would give you more space out front for coral growth. This is just my preference though. Looks great !!!

lonelytree

Actually there is plenty of room in front. It appears closer than it is. There actually is plenty of swimming room and hiding places. The way the rock actually "lays" in there is deceiving. There is at least 2 to 2 1/2 inches in front of the rock and glass. when we sat it up trouble 93 made sure I left enough room in front to get my hand by it. I do appreciate you taking the time to notice Ilovemytank. That could have been a real problem area for me. I never thought about the spacing on my own. I tried to get a picture of how the rock leaned in and out. I liked how it turned out. Once again thanks for your advice.

lonelytree

I think I will go with the hard cycle. This way all the levels can spike and I know the tank won't go thru mini cycles. Any suggestions.