My new CONDY NEM

meowzer

Well....I got a condy....I went to my most unfavorite place cause I needed a supply....(*****)....well they had a condy and my husband REALLY thought we needed it....he seems to think if we get one and put it in the clowns corner...they will like it....OH....we got it....for $6.99 I figured what the heck
It actually looked good....here is the funny story though.....the girl comes to get it out....it's stuck pretty good, SHE HAS NO GLOVE...we told her she shoud wear one...BUT NO....she didn't feel she needed it
first she netted it.....then it stuck to the net...it's very sticky (good sign)...so she takes her BARE hand and tries to free it from the net....well it then stuck to her...LOL...the tentacles started wrapping around her finger...more ...and more.....at first she was like..oh boy...it sure is sticky....hmmmm....I think I feel something....OK now I'm getting nervous.....as my husband and I just looked on.....FINALLY she put her hand in the bag...and carefully worked the anemone off of her....
so we find the item I need....and go to the checkout.....she was the cashier......her finger and arm were begining to get red
I have a feeling a visit to the E.R. wasa about to happen...LOL....and I BET MONEY....she NEVER NEVER picks up an anemone again bare handed
OH....here is a picture of it

pauloesco

A condy shouldn't really cause any rashes, unless she's allergic or something.
sticky, sure. carpet anemone or fire-coral they are not.
Pretty hardy -- still needs decent lighting and you should feed it something about once a week or so.

meowzer

LOL...I said I didn't think the anemone would cause her any harm...she was young....it was just kinda funny....I betcha it was nerves...We told her if she needed a witness for her job to call us..HAHAHAHA
This is in my 225G, which I have metal halides, and my BTA has thrived for about 21 months now....YIPPEEE.....

meowzer

Was kinda late, and did not have a chance to cover the one K3 that is close to the anemone....since it is chancey that the anmeone may move...I'm just unplugging it for tonight
I'll work on a cover for it tomorrow

meowzer

YAYYY...It stayed where we put it.....It actually looks really good this morning....except the clowns are still in their filter tube..BUT the cleaner shrimp was hangin it on it

DO cleaner shrimp host anemones????
here it is this morning...It really has nice coloring...I know you can't tell in these pics..bit the tips have green dots on them :)

S

smartorl

Back from my mini vacation, feeling alot less stressed!
Congrats on the condy!
They are more of a predatory nem. From my experience, they tend to be roamers more so than others so covering your powerheads is really important.
Clownfish aren't native in the Florida waters where most are collected so they typically won't host condys. I have heard horror stories of the condys eating clowns. I did have a pair of Clarkii's that hosted a nem that I bought as a condy, although I never got a confirmed id on the nem. There was some speculation at the time that it was possibly a LTA.
They do host cleaner shrimp, arrow crabs and even emeralds!
Things seem to have wound down!

meowzer

Well the Condy has its first tast of scallop this morning...and let me tell you...IT SCARFED THEM DOWN...
I was able to get a pic that shows the green tips...when the halides come on I'll try to get some more

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartorl http:///forum/thread/381828/my-new-condy-nem#post_3328563
Back from my mini vacation, feeling alot less stressed!
Congrats on the condy!
They are more of a predatory nem. From my experience, they tend to be roamers more so than others so covering your powerheads is really important.
Clownfish aren't native in the Florida waters where most are collected so they typically won't host condys. I have heard horror stories of the condys eating clowns. I did have a pair of Clarkii's that hosted a nem that I bought as a condy, although I never got a confirmed id on the nem. There was some speculation at the time that it was possibly a LTA.
They do host cleaner shrimp, arrow crabs and even emeralds!
Things seem to have wound down!
Well in the store a clarki was in it....I know they are not natural hosts, but I highly doubt filter tubes are either

Funny....did you see where I wrote the cleaner shrimp was on it this morning....hmmmmmmmmm
WELL....Maybe I will get lucky and it will stay put....I really think if you keep the water good, light is good, and you keep them fed...they will stay......we shall see
they did have a sebae there....my husband wanted both....I said NO WAY....LOL...
P.S. WELCOME BACK

S

smartorl

My cleaners and fire shrimp all cluster around my lta's and heteracis nems. In one of my tanks I have a tiny trigger and when he swims over them, the shrimp all duck under the nem. I think they feel safe around it. My shrimp in a nem-less tank seem to be much more shy and not out all the time.
I will have to go find some pictures that I have of the condys when we dive. They are so pretty! The one I had was a hardy nem, and a great eater. The store I bought it at is one of my favorites and very knowledgeable, although some people claimed that mine had to be something else, I highly doubt that they would have sold me the wrong thing.
The colors will only increase as it matures so you will have to keep updating us with pictures.

S

smartorl

The colors intensify. On the reefs, the larger ones are so intense. The one I had got turned a more intense green and got yellow rings around the tenticles, the green ends looked neon!

S

smartorl

If you ever see them prior to collection, they are so vivid, they really seem to bleach alot initially. Yours will most certainly color up signifigantly.

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartorl http:///forum/thread/381828/my-new-condy-nem#post_3328664
If you ever see them prior to collection, they are so vivid, they really seem to bleach alot initially. Yours will most certainly color up signifigantly.
I actually thought it had pretty good coloring....CONSIDERING where it came from
(*****)
actually the tips are really glowing right now under the actinics...I can't wait till I get a good camera....

meowzer

HEY SMARTORL......If cleaner shrimp tend to host these....does that include stealing their food...LOL....
SEE we put the anemone right where the cleaner was hanging out.....and the cleaner stays by the anemone, and this morning when I fed the anemone the cleaner "jumped in"

gemmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///forum/thread/381828/my-new-condy-nem#post_3328857
HEY SMARTORL......If cleaner shrimp tend to host these....does that include stealing their food...LOL....
SEE we put the anemone right where the cleaner was hanging out.....and the cleaner stays by the anemone, and this morning when I fed the anemone the cleaner "jumped in"

This is exactly what my cleaner and lemonpeel angel does to my sebae. The lemonpeel will actually rip food out of the mouth of my nem.