My new octopus

mbrands

ruaround and fishieness beat me to it, but I agree with their answers. However, people have had success keeping stars with octos.
I tried my first attempt at a "trick" tonight. I punched holes in a cleaned out cream cheese dish and its lid. I put 2 clams and a piece of LR rubble inside the tub and gently set the lid on top . . . I didn't seal it shut so it would be easy to open. I put another piece of LR rubble on top of the lid to keep it from floating away. We'll see how long it takes Owen to get his dinner.

mimzy

WOW! Awesome thread. AMAZING shots.
Does Owen ever climb up on your hand when you're working in the tank? ...do you even PUT your hand in the tank?

I wonder what it would feel like to be...walked upon....by an octopus.

style23

i noticed you have the strainer that came with the fluval in the tank, have you had any problems with him getting tenticles stuck in it, or have any problems with it?

mbrands

Originally Posted by mbrands
I tried my first attempt at a "trick" tonight. I punched holes in a cleaned out cream cheese dish and its lid. I put 2 clams and a piece of LR rubble inside the tub and gently set the lid on top . . . I didn't seal it shut so it would be easy to open. I put another piece of LR rubble on top of the lid to keep it from floating away. We'll see how long it takes Owen to get his dinner.

Ok, so the "trick" didn't go as planned.
Within about 30 seconds of putting the plastic tub on the tank bottom he popped out to see what was going on. He came directly to the tub, grabbed it with 3 or 4 arms and tried to run off with it. The lid came flying off, the tub hit a piece of live rock and nearly tipped over (spilling his food), and Owen swam quickly into hiding. He seemed so scared I thought I'd see him ink for the first time (which I don't hope to ever see). It was the first time I'd actually seen him swim as he usually travels using his arms, similar to a starfish. Anyway, after calming down he came out again maybe 30 minutes later to explore, found his food and enjoyed his meal.
I thought I'd leave the tub in there to let him get comfortable with it and put his clams in there uncovered for a while. I got some good pictures of him chowing down tonight.

mbrands

Just to give you an idea of what he does with these little clams, here is a picture of the shells. They start out completely closed and are roughtly the half the size of a dime. When he is done the shell is completely empty and left spread wide open.

mbrands

Mimzy - Yes, I do reach into the tank, but I've been trying to do it infrequently as possible so I don't scare Owen until he really settles in and starts to recognize me. So far, just for his first water change, some algae scrubbing (getting a magnafloat soon), and to put his food tub in. I don't plan to try to let him crawl in my hand. I read that they are actually very fragile and could get hurt pretty easily.
Style23 - I was actually pretty worried about the strainer at first. I was planning to put some type of screening (maybe a breeder net) over it if it needed to be covered. Owen arrived a little bigger than I thought he might and he has actually spent time all around the intake to explore it with no apparent harm. Lucky me, I just get to leave it alone.

suzi1780 - I had the same reaction the first time I saw that video. Cool, huh! For that reason I named the damsel Skittles. I want to keep him around, but fear that once Owen gets bigger he might be a colorful and appetizing snack.
Thank you all for the positive feedback! My wife was nice enough to let me get my octo, but she is still creeped out by it. Its nice to share my fun and excitement with those who appreciate what a true beauty an octopus is. :cheer:

mbrands

Wow! Definitely a cool video! I realize they can sqeeze through small openings, but in the video the octopus fits through a tube that is only slightly smaller in diameter from its mantle. I'll keep a closer eye on the intake and reconsider.
Thanks for sharing the link though!

ams153

thats really cool he seems to be getting pretty adventurous.. with grabing the container and all! too too cool!

ams153

the way i do it.. dont know if theres another.. is click on the manage attachments button towards the bottom and then find your pics and upload them...

cowfishrule

Originally Posted by mbrands
I think you are right, but isn't it also an economics term? Either way, if he does get out we've got 2 dogs and 4 cats . . . he certainly will be eaten.

i wouldnt count on it. i saw the video of the shark that got owned by the octo.

fishmamma

Octos and other ceph. critters are some of my favorite creatures on this earth, thanks for strting this thread I have really enjoyed reading it. Have you seen the program where the octo carries around a glass bottle (his home) with him everywhere he goes until he wants a nap? Keep us updated, I look forward to more of Owen!!

mbrands

Originally Posted by COWFISHRULE
i wouldnt count on it.
Good thinking! I call our solid black kitten "Black Death" or "The Black Plague" since he is always causing trouble and getting into things. Maybe I should put his food closer to Owen's tank!
Originally Posted by fishmamma
Have you seen the program where the octo carries around a glass bottle (his home) with him everywhere he goes until he wants a nap?
No, but it sounds hilarious. Is it online somewhere?
Originally Posted by fishmamma

Keep us updated, I look forward to more of Owen!!
I will definitely post any updates!

dreamreef

:notsure: I love the pics, and am also very fascinated by these creatures. Hope to add one to my next species only tank. As for a name I'm goin with Curious George. I know it was a monkey, but it seems fitting as thats what they inspire in me.