My new octopus

tome

My uncle had one and when you stick your fingers in he would grab it. I kinda got scared when it squirted somthing at me. But then i found out it was water. lol. Good luck with Him! Also if you want get a crab or somthing small and put it in a bottle and cork it. He should be able to uncork the bottle as long as there is a little bit for him to grab.

krazekajin

I want one so bad. Thanks for the info. I was snorkeling at La Jolla Cove in San Deigo in November. We were around the tide pools and were feeling under the rocks and tickling the octopi. Anyway, we finally got one to come out and were able to hold it for about two minutes. I will have to post pics. It would climb our wetsuits and instantly change colors.
I just saw an octopus at a LFS in St. Louis and was interested. I would have a 29gallon with that fluval 304, cause I like them.
What do you feed it and have you had any ink incidents yet.
What species are good for the 29gallon, and what are not good.

cartman101

Well when i get my next tank I hope I can get a octo! They are sooo cool! Maybe i should trade in all my fish and get a octo :thinking:

mbrands

Originally Posted by My Way
A video of a Blue Ring you might enjoy.
http://www.fullauto.org/media/octo.wmv
That was a neat video and song. Thanks for sharing! The video was interesting because Owen (my octo) has gotten more active every day. He moves around the tank quite a bit similar to the Blue Ring from the video.
Is it just me, or do the tentacles on the octo in the video seem really short? Maybe just because he is so young?

mbrands

Originally Posted by KrazeKajin
It would climb our wetsuits and instantly change colors.
Mine changes color faster than anything I've ever witnessed. He looks like his body is actually pulsing in different colors when he is eating. I can't use words or even pictures to describe how cool it is. You'll all just have to come by and see it for yourself . . . it was 79 degrees here today! :joy:
Originally Posted by KrazeKajin

What do you feed it and have you had any ink incidents yet.
What species are good for the 29gallon, and what are not good.
I purchased small live clams that I feed him. I set up a 10 gallon similar to how most quarantine tanks are done (postings 50 and 51 show pictures). I've got about 20 pounds of LR, a filter, heater, and the clams. Bare bottom makes it much easier to find them when its time for Owen to eat.
Fortunately, he hasn't inked. I think that being tank-raised definitely helped. He is used to being inside an aquarium with people looking at him.
Honestly, I only thoroughly researched the bimac, but I know there are dwarf octos that stay even smaller (so a 29 would be fine).
A bit off subject, but today is my birthday!! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:
Owen's acheivement of the day . . . he actually pulled the inside portion of my magnetic algae cleaner off the glass. I can't believe how strong he is to have done that! I thought it was cute when he went up to it to check it out. Next thing I know he has his tentacles wrapped around it and were pulling it off the glass!!! I'll post more pictures tomorrow.

vegasbaby

newbie here!
I've been lurking here for awhile & I must say this is my favorite thread! ***)
I've actually spent time telling my husband about "Owen" & now he wants one! :joy:
I love how you folks are such responsible 'pet' owners, you all really care about the marine life you have been blessed with. Unlike some dog & cat owners

I want a salt water tank but am going to hang out here some more before I make the big jump. Thanks for all the information (& pictures) you are sharing!

Happy birthday to Owens daddy!

jennie

I am soooooo disappointed. In the summer my son told me that he didn't want Santa to bring him any toys he just wanted a saltwater tank. He wanted an octo. Well I went to my lfs and they completely talked him out of it saying that they didn't ever do anything. So he got his regular plain old tank ( well I still love it, I stare at it for hours) and he could've had this. Boooooooooo on the lfs
Good luck. I am going to show him these pics and I have an idea what next Christmas will bring. I hope you don't mind if I ask you a bunch of questions before I do it.
Jennie

my way

Originally Posted by mbrands
That was a neat video and song. Thanks for sharing! The video was interesting because Owen (my octo) has gotten more active every day. He moves around the tank quite a bit similar to the Blue Ring from the video.
Is it just me, or do the tentacles on the octo in the video seem really short? Maybe just because he is so young?
I don't think Blue rings get very big at all, I think only about 1/2 of what yours does, But I'm no expert by any means. I do know I wouldn't want to get bit by one.

tnt

I looked at getting an octo, but every bit of research I read described them as the ultimate escape artist. It looks like from your pics that there are open spaces in the lid. Does Owen try to escape?
Great pics by the way! He is way cool! Does he play with the rings?

turningtim

mbrands, Way cool! I thought I would freak my family out by showing them the videos. Well boy did that back fire! The fam does enjoy my tank but I haven't seen the interest peaked as I did after showing them your thread and videos. My wife and both kids now want one! As a matter of fact if my 7yo son had his way I would get one today! No worries I'm not ready yet but your experience and thread give them hope. Thanks so much for sharing and thanks to the other for the links.
Hope you had a happy B-Day, BTW you were the first to answer my first newbie post almost a year ago! My tank is still up and running and doing well. I just wanted to thank you again, I'm hooked!
Thanks agian
Tim

ams153

Originally Posted by I<3Fish
I am going to purchase a Bimac very soon for my 55g. I will be ordering from www.fishsupply.com. But everyone that is looking to get one MUST DO RESEARCH!!! They take alot of care. Check out www.tonmo.com for tons more info on Cephlapods.
just lettin ya know posting links is against the rules on this site...

monalisa

Originally Posted by mbrands
After a few laughs, we decided on Owen. Thanks for the suggestion MonaLisa!!

Yay!!!
:cheer:
I thought he looked like an Owen!!

BTW, happy birthday!!!
Lisa :happyfish

oceanists

Originally Posted by Vegasbaby
newbie here!
I've been lurking here for awhile & I must say this is my favorite thread! ***)
I've actually spent time telling my husband about "Owen" & now he wants one! :joy:
I love how you folks are such responsible 'pet' owners, you all really care about the marine life you have been blessed with. Unlike some dog & cat owners

I want a salt water tank but am going to hang out here some more before I make the big jump. Thanks for all the information (& pictures) you are sharing!

Happy birthday to Owens daddy!

welcome