My prob with Noobs

pontius

there is a forum titled "new hobbyists" which is where most of the repetitive questions occur. if you don't like seeing or answering those questions, then don't go on that forum. I've been keeping sw fish now (and been a member on this board now) for over 4 years, and I still consider myself a "newbie" even though I haven't lost a fish fish in over 3 years now. I think people should do as much research as possible before getting into this hobby but I don't mind answering "newbie" questions because I remember where I once was. and the "new hobbyist" forum is still probably my favorite forum here (besides the Aquarium) and I still often learn things from there. if you're such an expert with 1 year experience as your profile says, then by all means ignore that forum.

jonthefishguy

I personally cant stand the individual that asks a question about lets say wet/dry filter and then bumps it when no one answers. They sit there waiting and waiting and then huff and puff, say things like "oh great another clickish forum" when all the have to do is use their lazy fingers and brain and GOOGLE the damn thing. Yet, nothing....

miaheatlvr

Originally Posted by SigmaChris
Yes post counts mean nothing...someone reached a milestone of 1,000 or 2,000 post recently and three quarters of those are "bump", "do you like my pics", "nice tank man" and so on.
He He....
Good One!

2cold2fish

Originally Posted by jonthefishguy
I personally cant stand the individual that asks a question about lets say wet/dry filter and then bumps it when no one answers. They sit there waiting and waiting and then huff and puff, say things like "oh great another clickish forum" when all the have to do is use their lazy fingers and brain and GOOGLE the damn thing. Yet, nothing....

OK lets hear from a newb. I know where the fridge is and can walk just fine, but I still holler for one a the kids to bring me a beer, when I hear one of them rustlin around in there.
If you take the time to click on and read the question, take the time and give your two cents (two seconds) it helps us.

05xrunner

Originally Posted by Nano Reefer
just a new member. i have been using this site for a long time.
wait..SOO since you been lurking for a while and have a low post count doesnt make you a noob. I hate that word anyway.
So what is a noob to you. Someone new to SW, someone new to the internet. Id rather have people answer questions. Because its a new thread and there might be a new member around at that point that could add another really good piece of advice that is not in an old thread. so if it wasnt asked again that vital piece of information might never be heard.

miaheatlvr

Originally Posted by ruaround
i am soo there for you bro!!!

Best avatar ever? Makes me even wanna change! Nah... but close...

ruaround

Originally Posted by MiaHeatLvr
Best avatar ever? Makes me even wanna change! Nah... but close...
i will do it just for you bro... when i saw the pic i thought that...

miaheatlvr

i will do it just for you bro... when i saw the pic i thought that...
The way my boys are playing now?? GEESH....I might have to run and hide.. lol.... BUT THEN... Love them when they are good, Love em when they are bad...

ruaround

The way my boys are playing now?? GEESH....I might have to run and hide.. lol.... BUT THEN... Love them when they are good, Love em when they are bad...
haha... its all good man... youre a true fan!!! your Av fits your user name...

miaheatlvr

haha... its all good man... youre a true fan!!! your Av fits your user name...

Not to highjack the thread bro,, BUT IMAGINE you had an avatar of CHRIS FARLEY dancing?In the S.N.L skit "CHIPPENDALES" with Patrick Swayze... NOW that one would be the best on ever.. DId you see that skit?

ruaround

Not to highjack the thread bro,, BUT IMAGINE you had an avatar of CHRIS FARLEY dancing?In the S.N.L skit "CHIPPENDALES" with Patrick Swayze... NOW that one would be the best on ever.. DId you see that skit?
ask and you shall receive!!!

bjoe23

Originally Posted by Pontius
there is a forum titled "new hobbyists" which is where most of the repetitive questions occur. if you don't like seeing or answering those questions, then don't go on that forum. I've been keeping sw fish now (and been a member on this board now) for over 4 years, and I still consider myself a "newbie" even though I haven't lost a fish fish in over 3 years now
. I think people should do as much research as possible before getting into this hobby but I don't mind answering "newbie" questions because I remember where I once was. and the "new hobbyist" forum is still probably my favorite forum here (besides the Aquarium) and I still often learn things from there. if you're such an expert with 1 year experience as your profile says, then by all means ignore that forum.
WOW, thats an accomplishment

groupergenius

I have been keeping saltwater critters in tanks for over 30 years now. And there is still things to learn.
I have seen things change drastically over this time frame and I know of some folks who still do it "old school" and are having great success. But I have also seen great strides in SW husbandry that were never dreamed of 30 years ago.
None of these innovations and creations would come about if no-one asked questions and went against the grain a little. That's called progress.
Hopefully one of these so called "noobs" will be the one who develops a technique or tool to help further our beloved hobby. You never know.

lion_crazz

I am really glad this thread received the response that it did. "Noob questions" are not only NOT a problem, but they are necessary. It keeps us thinking, learning.
Anyone who knows me knows my saying: "The only stupid question is the one that is not asked."

ophiura

The ultimate irony is that I think this very topic has come up in some form in the past....
Unfortunately, in order to search for it you would have to hit the exact phrasing, otherwise you get all sorts of other stuff.
Soo, although I understand the frustration of seeing the same question, and especially the same exact question in several forums, I am pleased that someone came to look for help. Regardless of how common the question is...someone came to find help.
That can never be dismissed, IMO.

crashbandicoot

I'm sure as wise as the mods are even they have a time or two when they learn something new . Its about discusion . Bouncing ideas and opinions off of each other . whats worked for you might not work for me whats worked for somebody else might be better suited to my needs .
Its ok to ask questions its ok to give answers its ok to not have answers its even ok to be wrong but most of all its good to keep learning and sharing opinions .