My Squamosa DIED

meowzer

WELL...as the title says.....last night the Squamosa was fine (so I thought)
This morning it was closed, and a fancy Nassarius snail was on it....I though it was bothering it, so I removed it (the snail) then a peppermint shrimp started picking on it....so I scatted it away....clam was still closed and did not look like itself....usually it is open and extended
WELL....at 6:30 a.m......I really did not have time before work to do anything
Get home tonight......clam is still closed....pick it up....it will not open, but I can see thru the bottom...I am pretty sure it is dead...
WHY? I have no clue....ran some tests...basics are all 0....the rest are all within normal range....(YES we know what that means by now)
SOOOOO...who knows.....I guess it is a mystery....all else in tank is doing great

flower

Aww so sorry to hear. I personally won't buy a clam under 4 inches, the little ones just are too hard to keep alive.

meowzer

Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/post/3235133

Aww so sorry to hear. I personally won't buy a clam under 4 inches, the little ones just are too hard to keep alive.
BUT I have had it since September....and it was like night and day....great yesterday...dead today....NO SIGNS of anything

hunt

i would get a clam, but im not sure if any can be in a 29g tank with power compact lighting... Can i?

flower

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3235134
BUT I have had it since September....and it was like night and day....great yesterday...dead today....NO SIGNS of anything

I hope you didn't take it out. It takes strength to stay closed, when they die they just open limp like and turn to snot. It may still come open, it could just be unhappy and stressed for whatever reason clams get upset about.

meowzer

I have a derasa in my 29g but under t5's
I think they may be one that doesn't need as bright noy 100% though

meowzer

Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/post/3235142

I hope you didn't take it out. It takes strength to stay closed, when they die they just open limp like and turn to snot. It may still come open, it could just be unhappy and stressed for whatever reason clams get upset about.
it's still in there and there is no odor or anything, BUT I am just not thinking there is any life either..
I KNOW, it seems wierd that it is closed, but I just don't know

jackri

They can take months to die meowzer. I would take it out of your tank once it looks bad. If you leave it in there too long it can really pollute a tank and smell REALLY bad. I lost my maxima after 2 years -- probably only 3 inches still while my crocea and derasa are doing fine. My maxima seemed fine (although GHA growing pretty heavy on him) one night and next morning really bad so I just took him out as he was for sure a goner.
Sorry to hear about your clam

meowzer

But Jackri...it was fine yesterday....fully extended and everything
There is absolutely NO odor right now.....Do you think I should pull it....really.....or give it a little time
I'm just so shocked over this...BUT on the other hand.....I sure do not want to pollute the tank

jackri

My maxima was the same way. Once they start to let go they're pretty much gone. I'm sure your snail and peppermint shrimp were looking to eat dead matter off it already. I've heard of people pulling them after they completely die and they reek something awful.
I just moved everything I could from my frag tank to my main tank and I really super loaded my main tank -- not sure if that did it or not to the maxima or the GHA growing on it finally made it have enough.
I also lost a lawnmower blenny. It was there eating like a good boy.. got the wife to come look -- and the six line came over to pester it and it swam off never to be found again. We've looked all over the cabinet, stand, carpet, overflow, tank -- just dissapeared in mid water while we were watching and this is 4 days ago.

meowzer

OK....Lights are out and I just caught a peppermint shrimp on it....I removed the clam...NO SMELL and I can't open it either HMMMMM wierd
BUT...I do not want to take a chance, and I will not have time to mess with it at 6:30 a.m. tomorrow....sooooo I now have it in a bucket with tank water.....I will see tomorrow....BUT, I have a feeling you are right, and it is probably gone

jackri

Mine was all recessed and obviously gone beyond repair although no smell either. Sorry to hear about it. Usually when it rains it pours in my tank. Not only did I lose my lawnmower --- literally lost no idea as it was healthy and eating like a pig to just *poof* (probably find it a few years behind somethign) but my green slimer started bleaching out. I broke off two really big pieces and saved those but jeez. Gets frustrating.

meowzer

YES....frustrating for sure.....especially when there are NO signs, and all parameters are where they shoud be....:(

jackri

Well dumping more fish in, adding a big clean up crew, 4 shrimp and about 30 corals all at once couldn't have thrown off my system.

That also included sending 40 corals and some acans to a local reef club member to "hold" them for awhile. I said don't be surprised if they make it a permanent resident and if he didn't mind. Umm... I think he thought it was like Xmas

nycbob

if its closed, then it not dead. something could be bothering it. moving it will only stress it further. a pic will help for sure. my derasa was closed too for 2 days, then i realized my kole tang was picking at it. after removing the kole, the clam is now open as b4.

meowzer

Originally Posted by nycbob
http:///forum/post/3235362
if its closed, then it not dead. something could be bothering it. moving it will only stress it further. a pic will help for sure. my derasa was closed too for 2 days, then i realized my kole tang was picking at it. after removing the kole, the clam is now open as b4.
WELL....I screwed up then....It is at home in a bucket of tank water.....Should I call my husband and tell him to put it back in the tank?????
Then I can get a pic tonight when I get home....BTW...It looks like a closed clam...LOL...