My sump is going crazy. help!

gio28

i hooked up my sump today and i cant seem to get the overflow and return dialed in. either the pump pushes out too much water and it will run dry or the overflow get low on water and splashes like crazy. help please i cant sleep until it get this right!

gio28

800 gph overflow and via aqua pump used as return (~500gph accounting for head loss). both are hard plumbed with pvc (1" intake, 3/4" return)

gio28

yeah 4, the skimmer section, then the fuge area, then a bubble trapper one around 1" off the bottom, then a less high one for the return area

gio28

ok so i realized that my overflow and pump will balance...its just that when my overflow is opened up all the way it gurgles and brings air bubbles into the sump like crazy! any ideas on how to fix this? normally i wouldnt care but since the ball valves for the intake and return are both adjusted...i want to make sure i have at least 10X the turnover...which idk how to determine now...ughhh! any ideas?

E

eric b 125

the flow on your overflow shouldnt be restricted. have you tried putting a piece of airline tubing down your drain plumbing to help purge air out rather than in your sump?

gio28

its not so much the air bubbles that matter but the fact that the water splashes way too loud in the overflow...from the section with the siphon tube that pours over the baffle into the drain chamber of the overflow.

fender

Google "Stockman's Standpipe"
It is an air adjustment modification that quiets the gurgle/splashing of overflows.

habsfan

Use a "durso" setup for your drain. You can drill a hole in the top to adjust how fast it drains. Smaller hole the faster it drains. Very easy.

jackri

You really shouldn't care about the flow rate through your sump. It's basically a filtering device... powerheads in your tank are what provide the real "flow". The return on the sump in my frag tank is dialed waaayyy back otherwise it's way too violent. Now I just have a slow steady flow and the majority of the flow comes from the powerheads in the tank.
The slower flow through the sump gives it time to go through the mess of cheato and be skimmed as well IMO.

gio28

sick thanks guys! although my sump and overflow are throttled down they seemed to have balanced w/out any noise. im gonna try letting it stay that way as jackri pointed out that chaeto and DSB will be able to work better cause they have more time to process the water.
i have a new problem now...my pump is real loud and idk how to get it off the bottom of the tank since its vibrations + throttled-down-ness is making it real noisy. can i put it on top of something thin and squishy?

posiden

I think most just use a simple mouse pad for vibration damping. However, if the pump is making a noise and running rough from being choked down. Then it won't be long before it doesn't work. IMO, you need to figure out why the drain is noisy.
So, how is it plumbed?
How many 90's, 45's,ect.
If you have a ball valve on the drain that will restrict it alot right there causing a back up of water. It breaks up the laminar flow

gio28

Originally Posted by Posiden
http:///forum/post/3137430
I think most just use a simple mouse pad for vibration damping. However, if the pump is making a noise and running rough from being choked down. Then it won't be long before it doesn't work. IMO, you need to figure out why the drain is noisy.
So, how is it plumbed?
How many 90's, 45's,ect.
If you have a ball valve on the drain that will restrict it alot right there causing a back up of water. It breaks up the laminar flow
i have it hard plumbed with 3/4" pvc. it is throttled down 1/2 way but when i open it up all the way much of the noise still remains...so it is minimal due to the pump being throttled down i think. i have one union, 2 45s, and 3 90s on it. and the ball valve near the top right before the 90s. so mouse pad might help?

gio28

actually i just tried it again...and the pump is alot quieter when it is open all the way

posiden

Originally Posted by gio28
http:///forum/post/3137436
i have it hard plumbed with 3/4" pvc. it is throttled down 1/2 way but when i open it up all the way much of the noise still remains...so it is minimal due to the pump being throttled down i think. i have one union, 2 45s, and 3 90s on it. and the ball valve near the top right before the 90s. so mouse pad might help?

Sorry I was mainly in reference to your drain.

gio28

from the bottom of the pump to the water level, about 8-9 inches. from where it pumps out...about 4"
oops my bad.. i was talking about the return again. it goes in about 1" i also made an attachment piece that will hook onto the 45 and go almost to the bottom. (i can take it on and off)