My Tang - Then and now - New pics

scott t

I would say it seems to be getting some of it color back, but I would still watch it to make sure that it does not show any signs of being sick.. I would keep doing what you are doing. It looked pretty sad in the first pic. I am no expert on SWF but I say it looks better..

meowzer

WOW....it still looks pretty bad....really hard to tell about improvement.....I see a small spot of yellow in the 2nd pic that is not in the first
you have a long way to go with this guy......keep giving it good foods soaked in vitamins, keep your water conditions good, and also keep a good amount of algae in its diet

H

hrheyne

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///forum/thread/382393/my-tang-then-and-now-does-it-look-any-better-to-you#post_3337017
WOW....it still looks pretty bad....really hard to tell about improvement.....I see a small spot of yellow in the 2nd pic that is not in the first
you have a long way to go with this guy......keep giving it good foods soaked in vitamins, keep your water conditions good, and also keep a good amount of algae in its diet
I'm doing my best. I'm just glad he seems to feel ok still. I bought him a piece of live rock from someone local with quite a bit of nice yummy algae on it. He's been taste testing it from time to time but eats more of the brine shrimp. Is the dry algae from the pet store better than "real" algae?
How long do you think it'll take to see improvement?

meowzer

I would be guessing....BUT I think you have a long road ahead of you......probably months before a full recovery
brine shrimp is not a good food
get some mysis, marine cuisine, emerald entree.......soak them in vitamins like selcon, zoe....and/or vita-chem
the dry algae sheets are fine if you don;t have enough in yourtank.....just put a little sheet in at a time

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrheyne http:///forum/thread/382393/my-tang-then-and-now-does-it-look-any-better-to-you#post_3337041
Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/thread/382393/my-tang-then-and-now-does-it-look-any-better-to-you#post_3337017
I'm doing my best. I'm just glad he seems to feel ok still. I bought him a piece of live rock from someone local with quite a bit of nice yummy algae on it. He's been taste testing it from time to time but eats more of the brine shrimp. Is the dry algae from the pet store better than "real" algae?
How long do you think it'll take to see improvement?
I do see a little improvement, especially if you look at the eye, but that fish has a long way to go still.
You need algae sheets, and lots of them. I would be offering a 2" algae sheet 2-3times a day. One time, break it in between your fingers in the water and let it float around like flake food. If you notice that the tang eats more of the algae sheet this way than off a clip, do small feedings of algae sheets as often as possible (of course not every 5 minutes). The algae will really help.
Also, PE Mysis shrimp soaked in Selcon would be best. Try to find Emerald Entree (made by San Francisco Bay Brand) as well. I'd also even try Salmon every 3-4 days if you can, (wild caught only. I freeze mine and then use a cheese grater to shave it into small pieces to entice my fish to eat it). Salmon is fatty, so don't feed other fish this other than as a snack. However, salmon has some great qualities for a sick fish.
You're not going to see any big improvements in a fish like that overnight, but slowly it will come around.
I'd also do water changes AT LEAST once a week.

H

hrheyne

Thanks to everyone on your advice! I really appriciate it.
I was able to find Emerald Entree at the Petsmart here in town. whoo-hoo - now as soon as the snow lets up, I'm going to venture out and get some.
Where would I find PE Mysis shrimp? Do pet stores carry it? Is Selcon a vitamin I would buy seperate from the food or can I buy the shrimp with Selcon already in it?

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrheyne http:///forum/thread/382393/my-tang-then-and-now-does-it-look-any-better-to-you#post_3337186
I was able to find Emerald Entree at the Petsmart here in town. whoo-hoo - now as soon as the snow lets up, I'm going to venture out and get some.
If they carry Emerald Entree, it means that they stock "San Francisco Bay Brand" products. Try to find Marine Cuisine and the Mysis Shrimp made by them as well, those three combined with algae sheets and Selcon or VitaChem should work well.
As far as algae sheets, any one will do, I happen to really like Ocean Nutrition Brown, Red and Purple algae sheets. Good luck!

H

hrheyne

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///forum/thread/382393/my-tang-then-and-now-does-it-look-any-better-to-you#post_3337017
salmon has some great qualities for a sick fish.
I have frozen salmon in the freezer from the grocery store? Is this ok? I'm doubting that it is, but I thought I'd ask.
I aslo found Mysis Shrimp (Hikari brand) Emerald Entree (San Fran. Bay) Marine Cuisine and a saltwater Multi Pack with the last two and also includes Omega Brine Shrimp and Squid. It says it is good for all saltwater fish. I was on a roll so I got that pack too. LOL

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrheyne http:///forum/thread/382393/my-tang-then-and-now-does-it-look-any-better-to-you#post_3338320
I have frozen salmon in the freezer from the grocery store? Is this ok? I'm doubting that it is, but I thought I'd ask.
I aslo found Mysis Shrimp (Hikari brand) Emerald Entree (San Fran. Bay) Marine Cuisine and a saltwater Multi Pack with the last two and also includes Omega Brine Shrimp and Squid. It says it is good for all saltwater fish. I was on a roll so I got that pack too. LOL
IDK about the salmon..it was BTLD that made that comment

The other foods you have are good....just add some vitamins as mentioned above

H

hrheyne

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///forum/thread/382393/my-tang-then-and-now-does-it-look-any-better-to-you#post_3338322
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrheyne
http:///forum/thread/382393/my-tang-then-and-now-does-it-look-any-better-to-you#post_3338320
IDK about the salmon..it was BTLD that made that comment

The other foods you have are good....just add some vitamins as mentioned above
Ok. Thanks for the help... Got vitamins too :) forgot to mention that.

btldreef

I really only like to use salmon if I bought it fresh and it was wild caught. I don't like the prepackaged/pre frozen stuff. Salmon was recommended to me by Cranberry for finicky fish and it has a lot of beneficial things (I believe Omega 3's) that help sick fish. It must be used in moderation because it can also be very fattening, your fish needs this right now so it's not a real issue at the moment. Once it is looking better, cut back on the amount of salmon that is fed. If you can find fresh, wild caught salmon and freeze it yourself to use in small quantities, that is your best bet.

H

hrheyne

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLDreef http:///forum/thread/382393/my-tang-then-and-now-does-it-look-any-better-to-you#post_3338538
I really only like to use salmon if I bought it fresh and it was wild caught. I don't like the prepackaged/pre frozen stuff. Salmon was recommended to me by Cranberry for finicky fish and it has a lot of beneficial things (I believe Omega 3's) that help sick fish. It must be used in moderation because it can also be very fattening, your fish needs this right now so it's not a real issue at the moment. Once it is looking better, cut back on the amount of salmon that is fed. If you can find fresh, wild caught salmon and freeze it yourself to use in small quantities, that is your best bet.
I have no idea if it is wild caught but it wasn't frozen when I got it. I froze it myself... So I should use it then? It's ok?

btldreef

I wouldn't if you're unsure if it's wild caught or farm raised. The farm raised fish get extra "crap" for lack of a better term added to their food for such things as enhancing the color of the meat. I just wouldn't want to give a sick fish anything like that. I wouldn't stress too much over the salmon, you picked up a lot of other good foods. Make sure you're offering a lot of seaweed/algae, they need that most importantly. If you happen to be in the grocery store and see fresh wild salmon, pick it up, but it's not necessary.