Native Americans

doxboi

i'm from minnesota
There are alot of Oji
e people in Minnesota, along with some Lakota. But because your from Minnesota does not mean your ancestors or relatives were.

bergamer

dox, that was awsome,
that many euro's claim to be chero or blackfoot.
I remember in an ethnic politics class in undergrad, a chick claimed to be chero and the prof went off on her saying the same thing as you did.......
he later appologized

doxboi

I hope I did not offend anyone, it is just a fact that those sort of things happen frequently. From Wisconsin to Cali, and all the way to Maine it happens everywhere!

doxboi

I heard to obtain a tribal card or to be enrolled in the Cherokee tribe you need little proof of decent. Also I heard you can claim to less than 1/16 and get on their tribal rolls. This could define why Cherokee's has the largest tribal enrollment in North America. I also found that a CDIB card does not make you a member of the tribe. I would look into getting a blue card
What is a C.D.I.B. / White Card?
C.D.I.B. stands for Certificate Degree of Indian Blood.
The CDIB is also referred to as the ''White Card'
'.
What is a Blue Card / Membership Card?
The Blue Card is Membership to the Cherokee Nation. You have to apply for membership
http://www.cherokee.org/Services/Reg...ges.asp?ID=144
No offense to anyone here. CDIB card does prove blood.

doxboi

White has one of the longest lasting annual powwows! Meaning it has been going strong for some years now! Midnight Express, the boys, and Eyabay are all from around the Minn. area. White Earth Oji
e from White Earth, cool!!! I know lady named Shawn Bellinger that now lives in Milwaukee, but she is from White Earth.

ssweet1

We all are part something if you look at it biblically. I am a huge Redskins football fan and come from a long line of Redskins fans, does this count at all? HAHA just kidding I feel Indians are so important to history and are so under appreciated, I taught a Louis and Clark study which gave alot of detail of tribes and Saccagewea's role in the expedition. It truly opened my eyes about the cultures and history of the Indians. Our kids are not taught this in public schools, neither was I when I was in school.

doxboi

In some way or another we are a part of something, if you mean biblical and race then yes we are are decendants of Abraham, Noah, Adam .. you get the point! No, schools do not teach enough history about Native Americans. Most of what they do teach is incorrect or from the view of a white man. Most schools do not have the truth, just like schools teach that the theory of evolution is where humans came from, even though it is jsut a theory. Would a public school teach creation? No, because it is not what major society wants you to know or believe.
http://www.drdino.com/index.jsp
Do they want you to know that Native people were stripped of their cultur, woman were shipped to boarding school, Indians were told they could no longer speak their language, children were killed by the hundreds, or that what hyappened to Natives is no different than the US invading other countires and forcing their ways on them. Is what happened to indian people any different than what the Germans wanted to do to the Jews? Luckily the Jews are protected by God and can never be totally wipped out.
http://www.menominee.nsn.us/Culture/...ermination.htm
http://www.mpm.edu/wirp/ICW-97.html
http://www.nativeamericans.com/

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I don't want to butt in or change the subject, but I have wondered what will happen to the NA cultures over time in terms of preserving their heritage, say 100 years from now, or 200 yrs from now? I imagine it will be harder and harder to keep the old traditions or knowledge of the culture alive or intact, let alone have the children live the life. As you can see just by this thread, many of Native decent are already assimilating into the white dominate culture; some don't know much more than that they have a Native heritage somewhere in their background. I’m a bit cognizant of this just because of my own Spanish culture, and how watered down it is getting. My great grandmother was from Cuba. My grandmother happened to be born in the US but only because grandmother was traveling here while she gave birth. My mom, was born here, but raised in the old traditions of that culture. She didn’t learn English until after she married my father, who was white American and of Irish-Scott decent. I am a mix of the 2 cultures [Spanish and American]. I understand Spanish and can read some, but can’t speak it. My son, on the other hand, has lost the culture altogether. See what I mean?
What do the Native Americans do to try and preserve their heritages not just here and now, but for all time?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Actually, SSweet1, that whole redskins issue should have been put to rest a long time ago. Its an obnoxious name and the team should have agreed to rid themselves of that rude name long ago. We are in the 21st century, aren't we? :nope:

ty_05_f

There is a high school down here with the mascot called the Savages. There are numerous Native Americans that tend the school and don't seem to mind in the least.

moraym

I am also a Redskins fan, and was a Bullets fan before they changed the name to the ridiculous Wizards (there are no wizards and castles in DC, and last I checked, there's nothing magical about DC either).
Next thing you know, the Fighting Irish will be named the Misrepresented Irish, and the Cavaliers will be receiving letters from the decendants of King Charles of France.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
How about the Drunken Irish? I'm sure Irish people everywhere will just roll over for that one. That is the point.

doxboi

As far as mascots go, I could care less. Some people take offense. As for preserving the culture, thr traditional ways have been alot stinger in the recent years. There was a generation where alcohol and drugs was what life was all about. It was dragging our culture down. Some peple say that is the disease of the white culture(alcohol and drugs) trying to rid of races. Here in Mileauke we have the only private native american elementary and middle school in the US, that would be in a urban setting. If you visited a reservation you would see that the culture is not dying away as you think. Visit a powwow, sweatlodge, naming ceremony, and so-on. There are still so many teachings and elder that are still passing down their wisdom.
We have language classes, every tribe in wisconsin has a office in Milwaukee for those indians that do not live on a reservation. This generation will not allow it to die away. IU am also half Mexican, I would have to say that the Mexican culture is not dying away at all. As for Cuban's I surely did not think it was dying away. Do you live in a hispanic, or even cuban community? I can't see how you could lose the cuban culture when you still have a whole country to go to for a resource. I seems like it could be a individual thing, rather than a whole Cuban Nation.losing it's culture. It is matter of you stepping out to find yourself. I mean Miami is supposedly suppose to be Heavily Cuban populated. You have the resources. look at this web sites are fool of things like arts and music are still kept.
http://www.powwows.com/
http://www.gatheringofnations.com/
Nothing is lost is you continue to learn and share. Talk to your elders and teach your kids.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Mexican and Cubans are not dying away in their own country for sure. However, the ones that come here and settle in the US, I think will loose a lot of the culture 100 yrs down the road. Anyway, I didn't mean to derail the topic.