Native Americans

bigarn

This is true! They should be aware of this before they come to America. Evidently they all make the decision....Leave the homeland for a better life in America. They did...now adjust.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
That wasn't exactly the point, but, as I said, I don't want my comments to derail the original track of this conversation.

bigarn

Originally posted by Beth
That wasn't exactly the point, but, as I said, I don't want my comments to derail the original track of this conversation.

I understand that's not what you were implying. Just my opinion. Native Americans have every right to voice their concerns.....However to everybody else who jumps on the "poor me" bandwagon

[hr]
AMERICA--LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT!

wrassecal

Originally posted by DoxBoi
I am from the Oneida Tribe of Wisconsin, and am a member of the turtle clan.

My husband's ex-wife is Oneida so my step kids are 1/2 Oneida. I don't know what clan.She lives in Oneida, Wisconsin. My husband is 1/4 Cherokee, from Oklahoma where so many were relocated from their beautiful southeastern homelands. I don't know which geographical area his bloodline comes from though.
I do think that Cherokee will let practically anyone that can prove a drop of blood register so they can claim to be the largest tribe in the nation.
I know that Oneida is fairly strict on amount of dilution. I'm totally Euopean, mostly English with a little German thrown in. I thought studying the Iraquoi nation was fascinating in college.
While the Oneida tribe and many others have money and are located in beautiful areas, in Oklahoma there are problems preserving the culture. One of my Native American studies professors said that one of the problems with perserving the culture is that there is a gap between older generations trying to keep younger people on the reservations which forces an education issue. The majority of Native Americans who attend college tend not to move back and give back to the culture. They assimilate.

wrassecal

The University of Oklahoma's mascot used to be a guy on the sidelines in full warrior regalia called "Little Red". One of my father's friends was elected to be "Little Red" when he was in college. He and the others protested when they took it away saying it was a disgrace to Native Americans. It was an honored position at the University and they did not appreciate others degrading and marginalizing them.
DoxBoi -this is the only thing you say that confuses me. From what I've learned and seen while visiting tribes here in Oklahoma, the Native American religions are more closely related to eastern religions than Christianity. The Jews would have nothing to do with their spiritual belief systems.
"Is what happened to indian people any different than what the Germans wanted to do to the Jews? Luckily the Jews are protected by God and can never be totally wipped out."

doxboi

this is the only thing you say that confuses me
Genocide!
AMERICA--LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT
In this what would love it mean? Destroy America's original people and it's land just for new homes and buisness? I agree with the statement
AMERICA--LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT

a gap between older generations trying to keep younger people
In recent years more and more people are moving back to reservations. Also the generation of people in the age of 22 - 30 have been taking a big interest in learning the culture to preserve it.
the ones that come here and settle in the US, I think will loose a lot of the culture 100 yrs
I think it all depends on the people, like in Milwaukee there is large Mexican and Puerto Rican Community that I could not see it losing it's culture. They are very involved in preservation. Alot of the people still pratice alot of their ways.

bigarn

I think you're just looking for an arguement now. My statement was native americans have the right to voice their concerns. That would be people such as yourself.
To others who came here seeking ....and finding a better life, but do nothing but complain about this country....I stand by what I said---- AMERICA--LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT!

doxboi

I understand you statement, but On the Native end of it I agree, but bold, hurtful, and even though it's the truth, It can offend alot of people. Also That type of pride, is what causes so much damage between nations. Cultural Sensitivity, is a must. Maybe people complaining can be helped by you offering a hand and helping. I am sure someone has helped you whe you were in a tough spot. Sorry if I did offend you.

wrassecal

It wasn't the genocide part that confused me. It was the spiritual/religious reference to Jews being protected by God.

doxboi

That just meant that Biblically The Jews were promised pretty much protection by God himself beacase theyare his chosen people. Where as to Native Americans are considered gentiles, which means they are not covered under that promise of protection.

wrassecal

Sorry, I thought you meant that Native Americans believed the teachings of the Bible.Lot's of biblical references throughout this thread. Since Christianity was brought to America as the predominant religion of the Europeans, it has had a major impact on Native American assmilation.

doxboi

predominant religion of the Europeans, it has had a major impact on Native American assmilation
I was brought over as "religion". I do consider myself a Christian. It was said
Matthew 24: 4-6
4 Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you. 5 For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many. 6 And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet.
Faith, a relationship with God does not pertain to race. Many Natives call Christianity, "A White Mans Religion" I disagree. The truth is God is based on relationship with him and not mans interpretation of him. If any man is shown the power of God and his healing, love, and life changing power he would want to follow Christ. Man's religion is fake and made up. Why did the Christians of those days do what they did to Natives? Well because they did not have the truth of God, but religion not relationship. They said they had to do the things they did because that is what God wanted. The God I know would never kill people, nor show hate the way the missionaries did. So to make it short witnessing to a Native is like trying to witness to a Muslim. They hate Christianity and everything about, because of what humanly actions. If these were true spiritual people, befriending would have been first, the showing love by action. God will show is love when the time is right, you just have to have patients. The missionaries lacked patients, and acted on their own. Just my thoughts
http://www.upci.org/doctrine/apostles.asp
http://www.homemissionsdivision.com/...18D9CA9FF17085

kruel

Not trying to change the subject again, but some post have referred to "preserving" our culture. Part of the problem for this is that Native Americans are the ONLY race that has to "prove" their race. No other race has to carry a card stating that they are in fact what they say. Also, to add to this, to join the tribe and get your card, your ancestor had to admit their race when it was sill a crime to do so.

wrassecal

Originally posted by kruel
Not trying to change the subject again, but some post have referred to "preserving" our culture. Part of the problem for this is that Native Americans are the ONLY race that has to "prove" their race. No other race has to carry a card stating that they are in fact what they say. Also, to add to this, to join the tribe and get your card, your ancestor had to admit their race when it was sill a crime to do so.

That is so sad but, true. My husband's card does not reflect his amount of Cherokee blood because his white grandfather would not let his grandmother sign up as full-blooded. He made her use the minimum allowed. Some families can't even trace their ancestry due to this type of thing.
Your tribe is the one that makes you use your card. The US govt only asks for it (as a tool to screen out non-NA) if you are specifically asking for NA entitlement funds or services. You can put any nationality you want on a job application and no one will question it. Generally in America it is citizenship that has to be proved for jobs, services etc.

D

daniel411

I used to goto pow-wows up in Sue Saint Marie sp?:notsure: when I was really little and also went to some tribal camp up there as a guest, I was like 7 though. Hmm... might have to ask about that, consider myself more of an American Mutt than anything lol.

doxboi

kruel
It is not that bad, especially because at some stores you can use your card to make your purchase tax exempt! But within a native community no cars if you have a card or not, it is about how you live. No biggie, you get used of the treatment.

alison

Hi, my grandma on my mom's side was full blooded sioux indian, but she died when I was younger of lung cancer, and hid the fact she was indian after she got married, as was often done back then, so we all don't know much. My grandma on my dad's side is chipawah? as well as my grandpa, but thier only half themselves, and have scottish, and cherokee thrown in there too. My dad use to get rocks thrown at him when he was a little boy, as he inherited the indian looks, and in texas where he grew up at the time it was thought an indian was almost as bad as an african american, which is unfortuanate. I think native americans are beautiful people with beautiful culture. ~Alison:happyfish

grovey

your going to think i'm making this up but here goes
my mother is like 1/2 or 1/4 my mothers grandmothers name
was
Pocohantas but everyone called her pokey everyone i tell that too thinks i'm lying i can understand why as i've got red hair and look nothing like a cherokee indian but if you look at my moms side of the family you can definatly tell high checkboons dark complection it's nice to now your heritige