Nebody from CT?

killafins

Is there anybody from the Danbury area? THere is a petstore in brookfield that seems to never be opened... curious if anyobdy knows anything about it.

zibnata

I am from Danbury. What store are you talking about. Fins and Things on federal rd.? ***** is starting to carry more stuff and the staff there seems pretty knowlegable.

mdvm

I work in Danbury and have been to the lfs on federal road and to *****, at the lfs most of the fish I saw when I was there (about 3 mnths ago) had what looked like a bad case of ick. When I asked the owner he thought it was no big deal which prompted me to exit quickly. ***** has had a nice variety and the fish I've bought there are healthy.
My 2 cents.

megadon

I work in Danbury and have been to Fins and things a few times, he has only a few tanks but the prices seem OK. Waterbury Aquarium is great but you have to get ther before they sell out, their stock goes quick.

killafins

haha... mdvm... that's the guy that i always complain about. he's a nice old man but he steers me wrong soooo many times.
Well if you go to the four corners going towards new milford, take a right at the light and just travel down to the center of brookfield there is a tiny building that looks like a house with a sign out front reading: petshop. Everytime i go: week days, sat morning.. sat even... sat. afternoons;; sunday etc... there are always closed!!! Do you guys know what i'm talking about?

zibnata

The old man plays dumb,just to sell . Try the place in Brewster I think they are closed on mondays.

killafins

maybe, but this pet store is getting me mad... does anyone know what or where i'm talking about???

christopher

I from Southbury and work in Bridgeport I don't know about the pet shop your talking aboutbut at least you can't get bad advise from them.:D

killafins

Originally posted by Christopher
I from Southbury and work in Bridgeport I don't know about the pet shop your talking aboutbut at least you can't get bad advise from them.:D

all too true....
dreeves, that would be an excellent idea

brinkdrum

Fins and things....bad news. One look at there 55gal "reef" tank will give you a clear indication of their knowledge. Don't get me wrong its a nice little shop, but their saltwater i would not touch. Brewster is a good store, nice salt selection, but stuff doesn't move that quickly. I personally work at ***** and I know that some people may have stereo types about the employees that work there. As for Petcos we (Brookfield) have the best and well rounded staff around. 4 out of the 5 normals we have working the fish room have very good saltwater knowledge and we aren't in it obviously to make money. We aren't a greedy local fish store that are just looking to make a quick buck. I actually have many people that get mad at me when i tell them i wouldn't add 5 fish in a ten gallon freshwater tank at once. If i wanted to make a sale, i would just sell them the fish they wanted and not say anything. Instead we take the time to steer customers in the right direction no matter how much their hearts were set on what they were getting. I tell people not to get tangs for smaller saltwater aquariums, we have no guarantee so we could be a$$es and sell them to the person, but i always ask how big their tank is before selling them. We get a bad rep because we deal with a massive amount of fish and some come in diseased, its all part of working in the fish industry. We can't hand pick every fish we get. I've seen our store carry some very nice items at very good prices. My honest opinion if you wanted advise on good stores in the CT area.....House of Fins in Greenwich, Reef and Fin in Stamford....The Petstore in Brewster....Animal Kingdom in Mahopac, NY....and Waterbury Aquarium. These places are great.

brinkdrum

To tell you the truth I give alot of our customers this website to ask questions they may have from time to time. After all, no matter how good the staff is, its better having a whole message boards' input.