need help asap

i have been noticing on mi bluehippo some white specks on it and i got a feeling that it is itch. i have no idea what to do and the suckish part is that i have no quarantine tank so i think im screw

meowzer

Well a qt doesn't matter really cause your whole tank is affected now.....what else is in it?
get some fresh garlic to add to the food and vitamins....try to boost the fish's health and immune system....you will always have it in your system...any stress will bring it out.....
keep the water parameters perfect too....

levinjac

well a hippo can only remain in a 45 for so long....... u have live rock and live sand what other fish do you have

levinjac

if u have no live rock and live sand then u could perform hypo on your whole system just take out your inverts

gemmy

a 45 gallon tank is no place for a blue hippo. If you can post pics of the fish. How big is the hippo? How long have you had the hippo? Baby hippos are prone to ich and have a low survival rate. I would set up a quarantine tank. It is pretty simple all you need is the tank (maybe a 20 long or even a rubbermaid container), a HOB filter (run with no carbon just filter floss soak the floss in the DT for 24 hours before placing in tank), heater and a powerhead. You'll need to perform hypo which requires a refractometer to gradually lower salinity. This is the best option to treat ich. Hypo cannot be done in a reef setup or a tank with inverts.
I would recommend to hypo all the fish and let the tank fallow for 6 weeks. This will allow the ich in the DT to run through its life cycle.

levinjac

still they grow fast and they have a low servivle rate but i wouldnt recomend the Fresh Water Dip for a tang

S

smartorl

I'm not going to flame you but state from my own experiences, the tank size requirements are there not neccessarily because of the size of the fish but because the fish is an open water swimmer and actually stresses in "confined" quarters.
Does your tang appear to have plenty of swimming room? Probably looks like more than enough, however, the reality is that this fish needs 100+ gallons with a long and low footprint to remain physically and mentally healthy.
As Meowzer stated, your tang is probably stressed and while you can likely nurse the fish through this outbreak, you will likely see the cycle with increasing frequency.
Over the years, having many friends with tangs, the hippos seem to be one of the more easily stressed. I could be wrong, but it's an observation I have made. They seem to be a little less tolerant of water params, tank size, and tankmates, and it manifests in stress.

monsinour

tangs are like dogs who love to run. Ever see a big dog that likes to run caged up in a small back yard? they go crazy fast. The crazyness increases as the dog grows. So convert crazy to stress and convert dog to tang in the above sentances.

levinjac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemmy http:///forum/thread/381242/need-help-asap#post_3319790
a 45 gallon tank is no place for a blue hippo. If you can post pics of the fish. How big is the hippo? How long have you had the hippo? Baby hippos are prone to ich and have a low survival rate. I would set up a quarantine tank. It is pretty simple all you need is the tank (maybe a 20 long or even a rubbermaid container), a HOB filter (run with no carbon just filter floss soak the floss in the DT for 24 hours before placing in tank), heater and a powerhead. You'll need to perform hypo which requires a refractometer to gradually lower salinity. This is the best option to treat ich. Hypo cannot be done in a reef setup or a tank with inverts.
I would recommend to hypo all the fish and let the tank fallow for 6 weeks. This will allow the ich in the DT to run through its life cycle.
+1 i also think hypo is the way to go and you can just buy a huge plastic bin at walmart it will make for a nice emergancy qt but in the long run i would do as recomended upove
a 30 with hob filter heater and powerhead

gemmy

Do you know anyone that has a QT? I would try to find someone that is willing to try and nurse it back to health. If not, then set up the QT as described and once it gets healthy find a LFS to trade it or even give it to. It is going to be a constant ich battle in your tank.

btldreef

Fresh water dip the tang and bring it back to the fish store for trade, or just let them take it.
As for your tank without the Hippo Tang, it is still going to have ich in it. Once a tank is exposed to ich, if left untreated, it's there and won't go away. Sure, healthy fish can fight it off and you may not see it, but it will still be there.
My suggestion is to remove the tang and inverts and run hypo salinity on your tank. Try to get store credit for the tang and inverts, this way after you perform hypo on your tank and kill the ich parasite, you can buy new inverts for the tank again.
In the future, do more research before you make a purchase. Smartorl is correct in their statements, doesn't matter how big or small the fish is, 45G is just not enough for a hippo tang.

levinjac

well if you decide to set up a qt(u should) buy PVC pipe a HOB filter a heater, powerhead and a 20G Long unless you get bigger, make fresh saltwater and put it in the qt wait 1 day and acclimate the fish to the qt doing water changes every day and testing every 2 hrs after a week start to raise your salt level down get it to 1.009 then do the same scedual as before you start hypo after 6 weeks gradualy raise the levels back up to 1.025 or 1.024 then after another week in the qt acclimate them back into the dt!! correct me if im wrong!!