Neptunes 72" Custom LED system.

i<3reefs

My brother has a panel shop, so I'll check with him to see what he does to keep from snapping bits all day.

swimmer4uus

Originally Posted by King_Neptune
http:///forum/post/3273034
ive had about all I can take from drilling and tapping.
I switched to the drill press and voila! the holes were all done in about 5 min!
then I went to the tappng...which was sooooo easy the other day. snapped 2 bits in before I got halfway through my second row!
Im so bent right now, I need to calm down and think where I went wrong.
I think its a result of not cleaningthe bit each hole, it got bound up on the metal shavings in the bit.
I cant be making trips to town everytime I snap a bit, its an hour round trip to the hardware store. And at $5 a bit.
This is already stacking up, im pretty much tapped till the 1st of the month.
If I chew through much more bits, Im just gonna do what 90% of the folks out there do....epoxy it with thermal paste.
you can eat my fecal excriments drill and tap method

And this is why I just totally skipped drilling and went straight for the epoxy

king_neptune

i think ive got it down...sorta...
came home with 4 brand new bits, tapped 30 holes, have one bit left that's on its last breath.
they are just cheap garbage bits, I can feel when a bits about to snap on me now. they just cant take the stress.
and the threads dull after just a half dozen holes. ill take the remaining bit, and the three broken ones from today's tapping back to lowes.
Ill go to a specialty screw warehouse in down town tacoma, they will have the expensive bits I need. I could have saved my self all the hassle and just payed triple for a single good bit...instead of destroying 8 cheap ones. At least they have a 1 year warranty so Im not out any money...just time and gas.

acrylic51

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/3273567
Sometimes a little cutting oil on the pc. helps to keep the drill in better shape.
Agree!!!! But King even the good SnapOn bits and such arent cracked up to what the should be for the money you pay for them......Good thing is my SnapOn man will replace my taps if I destroy them.
King I did see a thread somewhere, where the wiring was hidden behind....Any idea which one it was? I like the clean look of no wiring showing. Looks good though!!!!!

J

jstdv8

im interested in the epoxy you're talking about using. Why do you need this if you have all these screws in your newly tapped holes? Seems like the real advantage of having tapped holes is that you can remove your LED's in case of a problem. but if you epoxy it isnt it not replaceable then?
I guess i don't understand why the epoxy and the screws, why not just one or the other?

reefraff

Just for reference I just finished my LED rig for my 120 which I hope to actually set up one day :)
Anyway I have a mix of 52 XRE royal blues, 6 XRE Q5's, 8 XRE warm whites and 18 XPG cool whites. They are spaced 3" apart with no optics. With the fixture sitting on the top trim that PAR sensor is sitting about 22 inches below the LED's and it's pulling off just over 170. With optics and higher concentration of LED's you are going to make some awesome numbers with that rig. Great job so far.

king_neptune

Originally Posted by acrylic51
http:///forum/post/3273578
King I did see a thread somewhere, where the wiring was hidden behind....Any idea which one it was? I like the clean look of no wiring showing. Looks good though!!!!!
Not paticularly wortht he hassle of drilling an extra 90 holes in my heatsink, jsut to thred them throughthe other side, then back down. will makea big nasty mess of wires on the top instead. Trust me, when you see the final product you will like the looks.
Originally Posted by Jstdv8
http:///forum/post/3273745
im interested in the epoxy you're talking about using. Why do you need this if you have all these screws in your newly tapped holes? Seems like the real advantage of having tapped holes is that you can remove your LED's in case of a problem. but if you epoxy it isnt it not replaceable then?
I guess i don't understand why the epoxy and the screws, why not just one or the other?
http://www.rapidled.com/servlet/the-...ive/Categories
I agree that the idea of easy bulb replacement is a major major perk. Butthe thermal paste will do wonders for longevity of the bulbs, and efficancy since it will far exced the heat disapation of just screws alone. The sole reason I am tapping is so I can securly fasten the starboards to the aluminum while the epoxy sets.ATLOT of extra work, but I read up on several people who recomended this technique.They insist that claming down on the starboard with the two skrewz will ensoure a nice tight bond.
Originally Posted by reefraff

http:///forum/post/3273878
Just for reference I just finished my LED rig for my 120 which I hope to actually set up one day :)
Anyway I have a mix of 52 XRE royal blues, 6 XRE Q5's, 8 XRE warm whites and 18 XPG cool whites. They are spaced 3" apart with no optics. With the fixture sitting on the top trim that PAR sensor is sitting about 22 inches below the LED's and it's pulling off just over 170. With optics and higher concentration of LED's you are going to make some awesome numbers with that rig. Great job so far.
^_^ thx, I really cant wait to see it compleaated. I jsut finished tapping one of the panels, ill be putting the stars on tomarrow.

reefraff

That drilling and tapping has got to be a pain. I used the pre cut thermal tape Nano tuners sells instead. Seems to work well out of the gates, just hope it holds up long term.

robertmathern

damn king nice to run into you again. Nice project hope to see this bad boy in action. I might look into it myself if yours works out well for my 72'' TANK

J

jstdv8

dangit, i wish i had went to electricians school instead of taking that job at Home Depot 12 years ago :*(

king_neptune

http:///forum/post/3273927
That drilling and tapping has got to be a pain. I used the pre cut thermal tape Nano tuners sells instead. Seems to work well out of the gates, just hope it holds up long term.
Ya I agree the drilling and tapping is a pain, I would even go as far as to say "Not worth it".
At first I went in with the attitude "do it right the first time" this is gonna be up a LONG time. Potentially a decade.
I doubt it since Im sure the tech will improve to the point where I get somethign esle. But this array will be up for the next 3-5 years Im sure. At the very least I can keep it around for a frag tank or soemthign.
But with all that extra headache...Believe me, I wanted to quit midway many times.
However its done, and Im happy. Truth is now I get the feel of it, and bits arent snapping any more. Best thing to advice is twist it till you feel it catching,1lb torque is plenty enough. Then back it off a half turn then push in again till you feel a bite. Sometimes you have to do this a dozen times before it will punch deeper, but you also wont be breaking bits. I did two rows on one bit yesterday, where as it took me half dozen to get the first two rows done before.

king_neptune

http:///forum/post/3273982
dangit, i wish i had went to electricians school instead of taking that job at Home Depot 12 years ago :*(
BELIEVE me, im no electrician. I am totaly new to this, and had to do lots of reading. My goal is to make a log with easy to follow pictures and instructions so ANYONE can mimic me. Its very frustrating to sift through 150+ pages on a single build thread and find nothign but confusion becuase people take for granted they have an understanding of all this...forgetting theres 1000x more people who dont.

J

jstdv8

yeah, I read a rediculously long thread on this on another forum and i got to the last page after about 6 hours and it had split so that wasnt really the last page. by the time I finished it all (after 3 splits) the technology was completely different than the start of the thread and most of what I learned was either too confusing or irrelevant now.
I just don't understand much about all the volts and all and how to get the most out of the lights without burning them up.
Ive wired many houses with 110v but this smaller stuff kind of eludes me. I'd really love to have a sweet dimmable LED setup though.
I have a feeling with all the advancements in true dusk to dawn and cloudy days and even cloud banks rolling over if you hooked up the dimmables to a computer that we are going to see advances in stuff like fish breeding and being able to keep more species in our tanks that wern't very hardy in the past. Just the addition of a true light cycle has to make conditions more like the ocean and open up oppertunities for breeding and such

reefraff

http:///forum/post/3274019
Ya I agree the drilling and tapping is a pain, I would even go as far as to say "Not worth it".
At first I went in with the attitude "do it right the first time" this is gonna be up a LONG time. Potentially a decade.
I doubt it since Im sure the tech will improve to the point where I get somethign esle. But this array will be up for the next 3-5 years Im sure. At the very least I can keep it around for a frag tank or soemthign.
But with all that extra headache...Believe me, I wanted to quit midway many times.
However its done, and Im happy. Truth is now I get the feel of it, and bits arent snapping any more. Best thing to advice is twist it till you feel it catching,1lb torque is plenty enough. Then back it off a half turn then push in again till you feel a bite. Sometimes you have to do this a dozen times before it will punch deeper, but you also wont be breaking bits. I did two rows on one bit yesterday, where as it took me half dozen to get the first two rows done before.
Sounds like my soldering skills. About time I finished up I got pretty good at it

king_neptune

http:///forum/post/3274028
yeah, I read a rediculously long thread on this on another forum and i got to the last page after about 6 hours and it had split so that wasnt really the last page. by the time I finished it all (after 3 splits) the technology was completely different than the start of the thread and most of what I learned was either too confusing or irrelevant now.
Exactly one of the main reasons Im doing this build, and showing everyone as simple as it gets. When Im done, Im confidant you will have step by step instructions with little to no questions. You wont need to worry about foreward voltage, MA settings, dimmer controls, whats a PWC, how to set up bucks ect.
It will all be simplified in sucha way, that the modular design will alow you to make this system larger...or smaller according to your needs. Prettymuch whats gonna be happening over the next couple months(this isnt a short project....it will be ongoing with future upgrades over the summer) will be an accumilation of those posts that are hundreds of pages long.
Consider it a novice's gift to other novices.

J

jstdv8

http:///forum/post/3274112
Sounds like my soldering skills. About time I finished up I got pretty good at it

I find that there are many many things like this in life. Just baout the time you really get the hang of it, you're done!

J

jstdv8

http:///forum/post/3274132
Exactly one of the main reasons Im doing this build, and showing everyone as simple as it gets. When Im done, Im confidant you will have step by step instructions with little to no questions. You wont need to worry about foreward voltage, MA settings, dimmer controls, whats a PWC, how to set up bucks ect.
It will all be simplified in sucha way, that the modular design will alow you to make this system larger...or smaller according to your needs. Prettymuch whats gonna be happening over the next couple months(this isnt a short project....it will be ongoing with future upgrades over the summer) will be an accumilation of those posts that are hundreds of pages long.
Consider it a novice's gift to other novices.

Thats awesome!
What is the overall wattage of your 72" fixture? roughly? somewhere around 384w?