Never gonna believe this . . .

thedraven

Blitz, were talking about a Ground Fault Interrupter. You can buy them at most hardware or home improvement stores. They basically just break the circuit before you get zapped. Ive heard stories of people who have had the lighting fall in the open tank and tried to catch it - the gfci saved their lives. Not a bad investment. You can even buy the plug-in type like they use in construction sites.

splashed

As soon as my hubby can talk about "that aquarium" without looking down at my carpet :) I will ask him to install GFI on that outlet.
And the ones in the kitchen and bathrooms, Im a little electicity shy now.

blitz99

is it the outlets with the breaker already in there? like the bathroom/kitchen outlets for use in "wet or damp" areas? it has the built in reset button on it? usually a square ground plug? i've put those in in my kitchen and bathroom if thats the case.

farslayer

Yep, that would be the ones. Our house has nothing but GFCI installed, quite the wonderful thing, esp. with all of the computer equipment.

splashed

Well, I went to the Neurologist, and I have done damage to my Ulnar ??nerve in my hand, he put me on a max dose of steroids to try to get the nerves to start growning back. He says I should see steady improvement for the next couple months. It will only be serious if after 3 months I still have weakness, then there is corrective surgery.
Lesson Learned.

tyedyed1

WOW bet you never thought that adjusting the air valve on your skimmer could cost you a trip to the surgeon?:scared: :eek: :scared: . ill definitly keep that in mind if that happens to me. i spend enough on the tank itself, i dont need that going on too. ground fault interrupter plug-ins are a must have for x-mas this year. thanks for the story and hope you dont need surgery.:scared: :eek: :scared:

saltjunkie

GFCI is now installed! I purchased one at Lowes on Sunday afternoon, but didn't get it installed. On Monday I came home from work and noticed the water level was way low in my tank. A filter had clogged and water was running down the back of my tank flooding everything under the stand. The power strips had smoke pouring out of them and were melting. Remembering the advise on this forum I did not follow my first impulse and try to unplug the strips. Instead, I ran to the breaker box and cut the power there. After cleaning up the water, I immediately installed the GFCI before turning the breaker back on. I had to go purchase 2 new power strips also. I feel much better now knowing the GFCI is there and working. I'm sorry you got shocked, but in sharing your story, you have definately helped at least 1 person out here!!! :happy: :happy:

sw65galma

Originally posted by SaltJunkie
GFCI is now installed! I purchased one at Lowes on Sunday afternoon, but didn't get it installed. On Monday I came home from work and noticed the water level was way low in my tank. A filter had clogged and water was running down the back of my tank flooding everything under the stand. The power strips had smoke pouring out of them and were melting. Remembering the advise on this forum I did not follow my first impulse and try to unplug the strips. Instead, I ran to the breaker box and cut the power there. After cleaning up the water, I immediately installed the GFCI before turning the breaker back on. I had to go purchase 2 new power strips also. I feel much better now knowing the GFCI is there and working. I'm sorry you got shocked, but in sharing your story, you have definately helped at least 1 person out here!!! :happy: :happy:

Wow What a coincidence...
Had you grabbed the plug, you would've surely injured yourself.
Also do yourself a favor and replace the breakers that feed those strips with a GCFI.
On most panels, after you take off the front cover (making sure to flip the main breaker) the breakers just "SNAP" in, it's a 10 min job to replace them. And as you now know, WELL WORTH IT!.