New 10 gal help!

I'm purchasing an Aqueon Deluxe Kit 10 to start a SW project. I had a 2 gal nano but after I set it up I realized it was too small to put any fish I wanted in it. Anyway, the Aqueon kit comes with a 20-30 gal power filter, flourescent lighting and I have a submersible heater and a thermometer. I was thinking about switching out the bulbs for a little bit less harsh light (like something with blue in it). I was going to put live sand, about 5 lbs of live rock and some fake plants for aquascaping. For creatures, I was thinking a pair of gobies and some snails as my CUC. Any and all help would be appreciated, I'm a bit new at the SW thing! Also I was thinking testing every other day, topping off everyday if needed and biweekly water changes.
Thanks in advance!
-thedragonfish

angel15

Im new to this foruns, but not to saltwater.
Imo,
buy a standard 10gal tank. (Could get one on CL for $10)
Buy an AquaClear70 or 100 and mod it for a refugium/filter floss/heater/ChemiPure.
Buy a 240gph Koralia Nano Powerhead.
10lbs of Live Sand
About 10 or less Lbs of Live Rock.
A par38 or par30 LED bulb
A 100w heater
A thermometer
A Good salt mix.
AND A REFRACTOMETER.
And you're set!
You have yourself a tank made for a reef. :)
Forget the Fake plants (no bueno)
And I would recommend weekly water changes of at least 2gals.

flower

Hi,

Welcome to the site! When it comes to SW, the smaller the tank the harder it is to keep going...a 10g is a very, very tiny tank. You will only be able to have one small fish in it, 2 gobies, unless they are the tiny yellow clown fish type are too large for it, and you will still have a hard time keeping it stable. You will spend just as much on a 10g set up, as you will for a 30g. The equipment is exactly the same except maybe a couple of extra rocks.

angel15

Thanks Angel15! Do you have any advice on the filter mod (like a link, or how  you have done yours)?
Yes I do. Shoot me a message and ill send you a link and help you further.

So for livestock, I think I'll go with a green clown goby, a small percula clownfish and after some research, it seems like a sand sifting star fish would be a great addition. It says they prefer a smaller tank and clean up all extra food. The only thing is it looks like you have to acclimate very, very, very carefully and you have to watch carefully that it gets enough food and often supplement it with little bits of extra shrimp at night. But, they keep the sand bed turned over and for such a small tank it seems like that would be the only cuc i would need. Does anybody have any thoughts/ know anything about these starfish?
Thanks in advance!!
-thedragonfish

angel15

10gal would be too small for a diamond imo.
The star will be good. But honestly you will see it for the first 2 days and then it will disappear into the sand. Also, make sure your sandbed is at least 1in deep.
If you want your sand shifted, get Nassarius snails. You'll love them. I have 4 on my 13.3gal

I did more research on the star and it actually seems pretty unsuited to tank life- it apparently dies really easily.
Does anyone have any ideas for some cool inverts to go with a green clown goby? I'm thinking a fighting conch, I did plenty of research this time and it seems really great. Is there anything else you think I could put in there?
-thedragonfish

bang guy

The CUC for my 10 gallon consisted of Amphipods, Munnid Isopods, Bubble Snails, Strombus maculatus Snails, Stomatella Snails, Cerith Snails, Asterina Starfish, and Mini-Brittlestars. That combination seems to work well over the long run.

Okay, I have a 36 gallon cichlid tank that's full of small cichlids I raised from fry but they're starting to outgrow the tank. My water quality is becoming harder to maintain and I'm going to have to take back some of my cichlids.
I really want a saltwater aquarium, and everything I've read says make ur tank as big as you can afford. I was thinking about maybe selling all my cichlids, cleaning out the tank and making a reef tank in there instead of a separate 10 gal pico.
Would the equipment be the same? Here's what I would think for a 36 gal:
Still an AC 70 fuge mod (or would I have to go bigger?)
A powerhead (any advice on brand/ gph?)
I have a 150 watt heater
36 lbs of live sand
30 lbs of live rock
WAY more coral and fish

PLEASE HELP!! This would be a huge decision and I want to know what equipment would be involved for a 36 gal.

Thanks,
-thedragonfish

snakeblitz33

You have the makings for a good tank.

I would do that, if I had the equipment to go ahead and do a saltwater tank.

I would invest in a good refractometer as well. Especially with smaller tanks - you need to be able to accurately monitor it.
Another good investment is a turkey baster and a digital hang on tank thermometer. You need to be able to monitor your temperatures and adjust as necessary.

If your tank has those enclosed tops, you won't need it for a salt tank. I would suggest cutting egg crate and putting it over the top of the tank, and hanging your LED lights over the top of it. Having gas exchange on the top surface of the tank keeps your CO2 off gassed which in turn increases your pH.

Ok, I fixed my cichlid tank (the impeller on my filter was all gunked up) and I want to do the ten gal. I talked to the saltwater expert at my LFS and this is what he said I should do:

AC 70 no fuge mod, if I have nitrate/phosphate problems later I can make a HOB fuge out of a breeding box with an airline
No powerhead
Heater
Refractometer
10 lbs live rock
10 lbs live sand
Zoas, mushrooms and leathers
A green clown goby
A yellownose prawn goby
A firefish
A small false perc clownfish
A cleaner shrimp
A pistol shrimp

Thank you everyone for all your help, I will post in a few months with how my tank is doing :)
-thedragonfish

bang guy

Just a few suggestions:

Be very choosy with the leather coral. Most need to grow fast or they will die. It's not a lot of work to keep them trimmed, but it's not no work.

I'd recommend two cleaners shrimp of the same species. L. amboinensis would be a good choice.

In my experience A. percula has a slightly better chance of thriving in a 10 gallon vs the A. ocellaris that was recommended.

Firefish JUMP!! Be careful.

One advantage to a 10 gallon tank is that when water parameter get out of whack it's easy to change 5 or 6 gallons of water.

The major disadvantage is that water parameters can get out of whack quickly.

I'm fine with the fish choices recommended but keep in mind that the fewer fish you have the greater your chance of success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang Guy http:///t/396638/new-10-gal-help#post_3534729
Just a few suggestions:

Be very choosy with the leather coral. Most need to grow fast or they will die. It's not a lot of work to keep them trimmed, but it's not no work.

I'd recommend two cleaners shrimp of the same species. L. amboinensis would be a good choice.

In my experience A. percula has a slightly better chance of thriving in a 10 gallon vs the A. ocellaris that was recommended.

Firefish JUMP!! Be careful.

One advantage to a 10 gallon tank is that when water parameter get out of whack it's easy to change 5 or 6 gallons of water.

The major disadvantage is that water parameters can get out of whack quickly.

I'm fine with the fish choices recommended but keep in mind that the fewer fish you have the greater your chance of success.
Thank you! For the firefish, I would definitely get a lid. I'm thinking instead of a yellownose goby and pistol shrimp I should get a cool invert. I found these sea slugs/nudibranchs called Lettuce Nudibranchs. They seem great for algae control and are only about an inch. I have read many positive reviews by people who have kept them in their nano reef tanks.

Does anyone have any experience or information about Lettuce Nudibranchs?

Thanks!
-thedragonfish

bang guy

I had a colony of Lettuce Slugs (not Nudibranch) in my lagoon for a couple of years. From what I could tell they were very picky about what algae they would eat. Bryopsis and Caulerpa racemosa was all I ever saw them eat. I do not believe they can eat hair algae or diatoms.

I really enjoyed them but I would question the longevity in a 10 gallon. The people that had them in nanos, how long did they have them?